• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George

H&S also have a book made from S140's wool, cashmere and silver mink called Victory. I have some trousers made from that.

This in one of my tailor's favorite books and I have 6 or so suits from it. I have to admit I was initially a doubter but have fully come around on this cloth. It is extremely luxurious, especially in comparison with the Minnis, but it has guts and keeps its body/shape extremely well.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George, which mohair do you like? I have a jacket made from Cape Kid and am pretty happy with it but don't know much about the cloth. I'm thinking of an evening F-U kind of suit with structure, pagoda shoulders and all that jazz.

--Andre

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
George, which mohair do you like? I have a jacket made from Cape Kid and am pretty happy with it but don't know much about the cloth. I'm thinking of an evening F-U kind of suit with structure, pagoda shoulders and all that jazz. --Andre
I don't like the Cape Kid mohairs or mohairs of that ilk, too light and not crisp enough. The Mohairs I like are the 2 ply or 3 ply mohairs which are a different beast, a much crisper cloth. Usually 70% wool 30% Mohair. A word of caution, they do have a rough hand. Sources that I know of: Dormeuil Tonik is the most famous. Not woven any more, replaced by a cloth called Tonik 2000. Scabal have or had a cloth called Titan, which was a 3 ply. Similar hand to Tonik. H&S had a few Mohairs in the old Crispaire book these were 2 ply 70/30 mixes. Very nice cloths. Not sure they're in the new book though. Bateman & Ogden have a book full of them. If Mahon is making this for you, he'll have no problem sourcing then for you.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For whom?

If your concerned about the trousers, just get your tailor to half line them.

If you're concerned about what others may think if they touch the cloth, then yes it does have a rough hand and doesn't feel luxurious.

But, no suit looks as sharp as a beautifully cut Mohair suit.

So I chose the 90/10 mohair wool because I couldn't feel the scratchiness from the swatch and I thought it wouldn't bother me. But now I can feel the scratchiness of the jacket through my shirt if my short is too thin or porous. The pants are being made now. I hope the lining will be thick enough. That said, I like the look of the cloth. In retrospect I wonder if I should have gone for the cloth with less mohair.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
So I chose the 90/10 mohair wool because I couldn't feel the scratchiness from the swatch and I thought it wouldn't bother me. But now I can feel the scratchiness of the jacket through my shirt if my short is too thin or porous. The pants are being made now. I hope the lining will be thick enough. That said, I like the look of the cloth. In retrospect I wonder if I should have gone for the cloth with less mohair.
You can feel the cloth through the lining of your jacket or at the front.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
H&S had a few Mohairs in the old Crispaire book these were 2 ply 70/30 mixes. Very nice cloths. Not sure they're in the new book though.

I have a suit in the navy mohair Crispaire. If a bullet could be shot through it, I wold be surprised.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have a suit in the navy mohair Crispaire. If a bullet could be shot through it, I wold be surprised. - B
It's nice cloth. I had the mid grey one. There were only about 4 in the book IIRC. I'm not sure that they're in the new book though. How do you find yours and when do you wear it?

rob

Reaction score
I have a suit in the navy mohair Crispaire. If a bullet could be shot through it, I wold be surprised.

- B

Wisconsin's soon to be a conceal and carry state, let's give it a shot.

Rob

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The old Tonik was great, tragedy they don't make that any more.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
How do you find yours and when do you wear it?

It's a great pack and travel suit, and also a good one to wear day into evening with a quick tie change.

It can probably scrub a potato with one swipe, but I have not tested that.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a great pack and travel suit, and also a good one to wear day into evening with a quick tie change.
Yep, good point. I've always considered Mohair a dressy cloth.
It can probably scrub a potato with one swipe, but I have not tested that. - B
Ha, and the Crispaire was probably one of the more 'refined' versions too.
laugh.gif
I need to get another one, probably a midnight blue one.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The old Tonik was great, tragedy they don't make that any more.
Too heavy, too scratchy and too bloody expensive. I keep hearing rumours that it is being woven again but I doubt it. The market no longer exists for cloths like that. The Tonik book was beautiful.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can feel the cloth through the lining of your jacket or at the front.

I felt it through the front, not through the lining. More of a surprise than discomfort.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Too heavy, too scratchy and too bloody expensive.

I keep hearing rumours that it is being woven again but I doubt it. The market no longer exists for cloths like that.

The Tonik book was beautiful.

It was crazy expensive.

I didn't mind the scratch. I've yet to come across a cloth that bothers me because of scratchiness. When I read people complain about that I scratch my head.

I agree it was too heavy. The colors and finish were summery but the weight was not. Still, very beautiful.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quite right. One should not comment on photographs. Devil's work.

Instead, I offer this video featuring Antonio Paone of Kiton and other Kiton luminaries:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

All I can tell you is that his style is as high and tight, and as extreme, as I have ever seen. Once I saw a nice coat of his, on Uppercase, but otherwise it has been high kings of Scampia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads