• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting "intelligence test"

computerpro3

Reaction score
Came across this the other day:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ence-test.html

According to them, they used brain scanners to calibrate the test for maximum stimulation. I'm not sure how I feel about intelligence tests in general in terms of what they represent, but it's a fun test to take nonetheless. Unfortunately, you have to register to read that link to the more detailed theory behind the test that they use, but it's pretty interesting to see which parts of your brain are your strengths and weaknesses.

Have at it plebs. Elitist bragging rights up for grabs.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helmut2000
i am certified to give wechsler intelligence tests, which is *the* benchmark in IQ tests, and it is indeed a good measure of all types of brain capacities. it's a very intensive and thorough assessment that takes hours. these online 10-question IQ tests are interesting, but not very accurate.
This is not an "IQ" test that gives you a number. IT merely places you in a percentile group in regard to particular tasks. In that respect, it's perfectly accurate - though you could argue that the tests themselves may not reflect what they claim to be, the fact remains that everyone is taking the same test. So if you are in the top .1%, then you beat nearly everyone else at that particular test.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just took it and it's kinda fun...

I honestly thought I would do much worse given my current state (hungover and tired)

computerpro3

Reaction score
1/12 Visuospatial Working Memory Strategy
You scored 9.0 on this task. The mean value is 7.5. This places you in the top 16.7% of the population for the 1/12 Visuospatial Working Memory Strategy Test.

2/12 Verbal Reasoning
You scored 34.0 on this task. The mean value is 14.0. This places you in the top 0.1% of the population for the 2/12 Verbal Reasoning Test.

3/12 Focused Attention
You scored 64.0 on this task. The mean value is 25.0. This places you in the top 0.8% of the population for the 3/12 Focused Attention Test.

4/12 Deductive Reasoning
You scored 14.0 on this task. The mean value is 9.9. This places you in the top 17.9% of the population for the 4/12 Deductive Reasoning Test.

5/12 Working Memory
You scored 7.0 on this task. The mean value is 5.7. This places you in the top 16.9% of the population for the 5/12 Working Memory Test.

6/12 Mental Rotation
You scored 185.0 on this task. The mean value is 85.0. This places you in the top 1.1% of the population for the 6/12 Mental Rotation Test.

7/12 Visual Attention
You scored 221.0 on this task. The mean value is 122.0. This places you in the top 0.5% of the population for the 7/12 Visual Attention Test.

8/12 Verbal Working Memory
You scored 8.0 on this task. The mean value is 6.9. This places you in the top 28.4% of the population for the 8/12 Verbal Working Memory Test.

9/12 Planning
You scored 52.0 on this task. The mean value is 22.0. This places you in the top 1.1% of the population for the 9/12 Planning Test

10/12 Paired Associates
You scored 6.0 on this task. The mean value is 5.0. This places you in the top 30.2% of the population for the 10/12 Paired Associates Test.

11/12 Visuospatial Processing
You scored 106.0 on this task. The mean value is 47.0. This places you in the top 1.5% of the population for the 11/12 Visuospatial Processing Test.

12/12 Spatial Working Memory
You scored 10.0 on this task. The mean value is 6.7. This places you in the top 14.4% of the population for the 12/12 Spatial Working Memory Test.

Apparently I have no short term memory.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
I was court ordered a psycho-analysis on a couple occasions when I was a kid. One time I had an IQ test done, I was probably around 14 or 15 at the time. I had to do tests like this for a couple hours, some hands on, some on computers, and they were all pretty much asking me to do what I just did on this test. Overall I ranked about the same as I did before, which I think says a lot about this test when you consider the time and money that can be saved by not going to a hospital to be tested.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the point of an intelligence test other than just curiosity? I see no value in these tests, and not just because I am an idiot.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
What is the point of an intelligence test other than just curiosity? I see no value in these tests, and not just because I am an idiot.

They suck bigtime. When Iw as 17 I was administered the wechsler test and scored 144. After that I was being constantly hounded by family and teachers to produce work that was "befitting someone of that intelligence." The net result was my dropping school and deliberately not being the person everyone expected me to, and as result was kicked out of Mensa and failed to get into Oxford.

IQ tests are there to deflate the egos of stupid people and give bragging rights to anyone who is marginally above average.

If you're average then you don't need it, if you're exceptional then it just sets a bar for you to try and meet.

computerpro3

Reaction score
How else am I supposed to feel superior to all of you? In all seriousnes I just find it fun to take. I actually consider this much more of a puzzle test than an intelligence test. It only tests very limited and specific areas of so called intelligence, after all. Plus, according to the results, I'm supposed to be top 1% in directional ability. My garmin and the exasperation of anyone driving wih me disagrees.....

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
How else am I supposed to feel superior to all of you?

In all seriousnes I just find it fun to take. I actually consider this much more of a puzzle test than an intelligence test. It only tests very limited and specific areas of so called intelligence, after all.

Plus, according to the results, I'm supposed to be top 1% in directional ability. My garmin and the exasperation of anyone driving wih me disagrees.....

I did far worse on this test than on a Mensa IQ test I took, I got 125 on that test which is about top 5% I think - that underperforms my academic ability - but I study hard.

The above test has me about top 40% lulz

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
I did far worse on this test than on a Mensa IQ test I took, I got 125 on that test which is about top 5% I think - that underperforms my academic ability - but I study hard.

The above test has me about top 40% lulz

are the percentiles just for the group of people taking the test? like not adjusted somehow to try and represent a random sampling of the population. if you could even do something like that.

i know **** about statistics.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I scored in the 99.9999999999th percentile in all of these areas.

Nathaniel72

Reaction score

The way I understand it is that it is a way to gauge your ability to learn. Doesn't have much to do with intelligence, but rather with your ability to utilize your faculties. I think it helps to know your natural abilities so you can take advantage of them. I also think it's good to know where you fall short so you know where you should work the hardest.

Cognacad

Reaction score

Very important in clinical settings do diagnose mental marsupialation and any type of developmental problem, as well as examining the effects of brain injuries. I'm not a big "fan" of IQ tests, but I administer them regularly for the aforementioned purposes, and they are very valuable.

Cognacad

Reaction score
I scored above average, but not quite significantly. Mostly around 70-80% percentile. I quite a bit higher on the WAIS-IV, but perhaps I didn't do that well on the non-verbal parts, which this test is entirely comprised of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads