• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
not really, I've seen him and his works, they are even slimmer. I tried on one of his finished coats and the sleeve caps are already hugging my shoulders, and he thinks I should get a narrower shoulder still.

Interesting. He seems to go for an extended shoulder at least occasionally on himself:

marigliano.jpg

1256903231098_phpimmg22563.jpg

1256903234881_phpimmg22566.jpg

- B

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I am going to have her make the collars taller, not sure yet, will wear this stuff a few times first. I just got used to the taller collars on the other stuff.

Originally Posted by poorsod
This was the sport coat you just picked up right? I saw it on the hanger and I like it a lot. Mina told me it was yours when said that i liked it. Which fabric is it? Is it a 12/13 oz?

The LP is a sportcoat, the DB is a suit. I forget the LP weight, its cashmere so kinda light.

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Love the DB Ed. This coat caught my eye in Mina's shop last week. Which Minnis did you go with? Am hunting at the moment for a fabric in a similar plaid or a PoW.

It's Minnis flannel 0325, but I would tell you to get something else if you are looking for "sexy". If you are looking for Camila Parker Bowles, this is your fabric.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
It's Minnis flannel 0325, but I would tell you to get something else if you are looking for "sexy". If you are looking for Camila Parker Bowles, this is your fabric.

There is nothing about which that Minnis needs to apologize in a suit.

- B

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so to answer a few "issues" that have been raised here, here is a coat with a slightly lower gorge, no "lift"/rollino at the sleevehead, a slightly smaller collar (height), a more "conservative" cut all around. Also, a DB, although I wish I had gone with a different fabric as the finishing on this Minnis is so blah it puts me to sleep and defeats the purpose that I wanted the DB for. Of course, I included my toilet in the pics. She will be back in December.
1289071433.jpg
1289071468.jpg
and the peaks are high but they do not go past the shoulder line as it looks in the frontal view. I like the high peaks on my pillsbury doughboy shape and will probably ask for a miniscule move downward (1/8 inch or so at most) on the next DB. ALthough, at 1/8 inch or so, I guess what is the point. And the divots are in the arm that I was holding up funny to take the pic.
1289071912.jpg

Ed, looking good. The fabric looks great as a DB suit, I don't know why you think it's so blah. The peak lapel make it look very chic in my opinion. What would you have chosen instead? -LR

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't you have a LP PoW?

Originally Posted by thinkderm
Yeah, didn't you?

That'll make a great DB
devil.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Interesting. He seems to go for an extended shoulder at least occasionally on himself:

marigliano.jpg

1256903231098_phpimmg22563.jpg

1256903234881_phpimmg22566.jpg

- B

A lot of times you actually have to see people in person to know what their clothing is like. Don't let anybody stop having an opinion on the various tailors of Naples, though...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
A lot of times you actually have to see people in person to know what their clothing is like. Don't let anybody stop having an opinion on the various tailors of Naples, though...

Quite right. One should not comment on photographs. Devil's work.

Instead, I offer this video featuring Antonio Paone of Kiton and other Kiton luminaries:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite right. One should not comment on photographs. Devil's work.

- B

Obviously there are "Lies, damned lies and photographs."
teacha.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing about which that Minnis needs to apologize in a suit. - B
0325 is brown isn't it? that looks like 0323. Heavy as **** too. ...and since when has flannel been sexy? Mohair is sexy, flannel is louche.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
0325 is brown isn't it? that looks like 0323.

Heavy as **** too.

...and since when has flannel been sexy? Mohair is sexy, flannel is louche.

I have a four piece suit in 0323 and it is heavy as **** but so damn classic. It channels Gary Cooper form every fiber.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I have a four piece suit in 0323 and it is heavy as **** but so damn classic. It channels Gary Cooper form every fiber.
I don't have that 0323 but it's a nice cloth. I have the 0340 from that book that has a lovely finish. I also have a jacket length of one of dark blue ones at the back of the book they have a touch of cashmere in them. I haven't had this made up yet. I also have the 0666 from the Classic book, which is a worsted flannel, POW with a red overcheck. Nice. The Minnis flannels are beautiful, both the woollen and worsted varieties.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George

...and since when has flannel been sexy? Mohair is sexy, flannel is louche.

Sexy but scratchy.
frown.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this brown. Colors are not as livid in person as the swatch. LP and Dormeuil make some sexy flannels.
Yeah, Dormeuil have a book (Ice?) which has Wool/Mohair/cashmere mixes. I've not seen it though. H&S also have a book made from S140's wool, cashmere and silver mink called Victory. I have some trousers made from that. If you want sexy cloth, Mohair is the one.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Sexy but scratchy.
frown.gif

For whom? If your concerned about the trousers, just get your tailor to half line them. If you're concerned about what others may think if they touch the cloth, then yes it does have a rough hand and doesn't feel luxurious. But, no suit looks as sharp as a beautifully cut Mohair suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics