• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
"Sunflower Seeds is a sensory and immersive installation, which visitors can touch, walk on and listen to as the seeds shift beneath their feet. However, the tactile, engaging nature of this work also encourages us to consider highly pertinent questions about ourselves and our world. What does it mean to be an individual in today’s society? Are we insignificant or powerless unless we act together? What do our increasing desires, materialism and number mean for the future? Ai Weiwei has said “From a very young age I started to sense that an individual has to set an example in society. Your own acts and behaviour tell the world who you are and at the same time what kind of society you think it should be.”

"Visitors to Tate Modern have been banned from walking on more than 100 million porcelain "sunflower seeds" that an artist is exhibiting.

The seeds were created by Chinese artist Ai Weiwei to fill the central London gallery's turbine hall.

When it opened on 11 October he urged guests to stomp on the seeds and roll in them.

But concern has now been raised over "dust" being created and people must now look at the work from above. "

Nice. Apparently neither the Tate gallery or the artist have the slightest respect for their "immersive installation". I suppose "looking at the work from above" is fine if they can still sell tickets and the artist gets paid. Dust is simply too great a nuisance/hazard and the saps who eagerly pay their money and file through to look at this thing will have to encourage themselves to consider highly pertinent questions about themselves and our world. What does it mean to be an individual in today’s society? Are we insignificant or powerless unless we act together etc.. etc.. on their own time and by their own inspiration.

Sheesh.

We used to have a Richard Long circle of stones outside the kitchen, and when we would get drunk as kids, we would rearrange the stones. I guess it seemed more rebellious back then.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
How the spy agency used unwitting artists such as Pollock and de Kooning in a cultural Cold War Modern art was a CIA 'weapon' you can't make this **** up

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Quite a few of them were born in the Eastern Bloc or children of first generation immigrants anyway. Gorky, Rothko, Kline, Gottlieb, Stravinsky, Rand, Baryshnikov, etc.

cimabue

Reaction score
"I saw a watercolor painting (maybe about 8x10) by a guy, googled him, and he's not really anyone famous although his stuff has been shown at a couple of small galleries nobody has ever heard of. He had a listed price of $500 but said to make him an offer. There is no gallery fee on this. What's a good price to start at? Is $200 too low?"

Post a pic of the w/c. I'll tell you what to offer.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I read an interesting micro-history called the Fabrication of Louis XIV about how the French monarch used art as an instrument in state centralization.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I saw a watercolor painting (maybe about 8x10) by a guy, googled him, and he's not really anyone famous although his stuff has been shown at a couple of small galleries nobody has ever heard of. He had a listed price of $500 but said to make him an offer. There is no gallery fee on this. What's a good price to start at? Is $200 too low?
Yes. That's a tad condescending. I wouldn't make an offer. Tell him you're apprehensive to value artists' work. Just tell him to contact you with the best price he can offer.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
I read an interesting micro-history called the Fabrication of Louis XIV about how the French monarch used art as an instrument in state centralization.

He also used extravagant clothing as a political device. The strategy was to have the nobility copy his own extremely expensive clothing tastes so that they would have no extra money left for funding coups or such.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
He also used extravagant clothing as a political device. The strategy was to have the nobility copy his own extremely expensive clothing tastes so that they would have no extra money left for funding coups or such.

gotta love the Leviathan era.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Yes. That's a tad condescending. I wouldn't make an offer. Tell him you're apprehensive to value artists' work. Just tell him to contact you with the best price he can offer.

He countered with 300. I am not going to go bargaining the guy down. I understand it's how he puts food in his mouth and clothes on his back. It's just a lot easier to justify your spending if someone has more of a history/"circulation" - in a way, I feel like I should approach this as "design" vs "art".

photoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
It's just a lot easier to justify your spending if someone has more of a history/"circulation"

But then you'd be talking about thousands of dollars, not hundreds. Purchases like this should be viewed as pure consumption.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by photoguy
But then you'd be talking about thousands of dollars, not hundreds. Purchases like this should be viewed as pure consumption.
No I agree - that was sorta the point. I feel less comfortable placing a value on the lower end - basically I'm like sheep just following the crowd but there are no sheep at the "consumption" level.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Art is worth what you are willing to pay. Do you feel cheated giving the guy $300 for his work? Then its not worth it. Would you give him $500 for the picture because you love it that much? Then $499 is a bargain.

Its silly to buy work based on the price it commands in a gallery, as that price is just what some gallery manager reckons other people might be willing to pay for it.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Despite being a big Turner fan, I had never been aware of this painting, or of Turner's sense of humor, until this week. It's called Napolean in Exile. Pretty funny.

turner.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Anyone read the write up on Eli Broad in the latest New Yorker? It's not online, but I started reading it while the store was closing. Good stuff.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
Despite being a big Turner fan, I had never been aware of this painting, or of Turner's sense of humor, until this week. It's called Napolean in Exile. Pretty funny.

turner.jpg

I saw a big Turner exhibition in Beijing last year. The paintings were loaned from the Tate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads