• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro v Pure Blue Japan

alexanduh

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a friend who will be going to ny and various other places around america and i decided it would be a good idea if i had them pick up a pair of jeans for me to save on shipping and whilst the aussie dollar is high
smile.gif

Not sure on what to get however i have nailed it down to 2 pairs.

Momotaro Jeans & Blue in Green - 0705BIG - Low/Mid Rise Slim Fit
http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

and

Pure Blue Japan Jeans - XX-011 Left Hand Slim Tapered RAW

any thoughts as to which you perfer and why?

Doctor

Reaction score
Momotaro - the toughest jeans known to man, no stretch, great indigo retention, nice fades if you're patient. I can't drool over my 3 pairs of Momo's enough.

Nopike343

Reaction score
Love my Momo 0705BIG's but these really seem like two different jeans. The Momo's are 15.75 oz while the PBJ's are 13.5 oz. As I posted in the Momotaro thread I would not find them to be very comfortable much above 70 degrees.

The PBJ's also seem to have a narrower leg and the rise on the PBJ's appears to be slightly lower. So it really depends on the fit/look you are going for.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
alex...i think nopike raised some good points. i would try them both on if your going to be there anyway.

alexanduh

Reaction score
yeah, i was leaning towards the momos as i figured they would get better with age eg fading inseam and outseam as well as tanning on the leatherpatch however the slimmer fit on the PBJ is drawing me in. i also like the subtle leaf the have on the back pocket.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh
yeah, i was leaning towards the momos as i figured they would get better with age eg fading inseam and outseam as well as tanning on the leatherpatch however the slimmer fit on the PBJ is drawing me in. i also like the subtle leaf the have on the back pocket.
yeah, its an indigo leaf (on the back pocket). blue in green actually helped designed it. the pbj fit is really nice...but i would still try both on, if possible.

mpcec

Reaction score
If you are definitely set on these two specific models then I would say the Momotaro's for sure. I don't really like the denim on those PBJ's for an everyday pair of jeans (grey weft) so I would definitely take that into consideration.

IMO you should never limit yourself in such a way as this... almost everytime I go to BiG or SE to buy jeans I end up liking a pair that wasn't even on my radar. It's really hard to tell how stuff will fit through pics and measurements. If you can go in yourself then you definitely should. If not I think you should make a list of qualities you are looking for (in this case it sounds like blue jeans, slim, tapered) and think of price range and then look at all your options at SE and BiG.

E: Just realized you are in Australia haha. My bad. SE is free shipping worldwide, and BiG's is like $40+. So keep this in mind while looking at both stores offerings. There are various theories on how to get your sizing right, BiG has a measuring system that you can use. I've also had really good customer service with SE in terms of them nailing what size I would be just through emails.

Just some stuff to keep in mind, probably made this post too long but sizing and buying jeans online is a nightmare, so you should put a lot of thought into this, especially since you are in Australia.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
actually, i have seen some very good results from the 011/013. and i have worn my 007 everyday for some time and they are actually one of my favorite fits.

as far as shipping goes, yes, blue in green does charge for shipping but they adjust the retail prices of their jeans.

for example, big charges $265 for the sugarcane 1947 and se charges $299 (shipping included). so its really a wash when you think about it.

i do however agree that you should not limit yourself to two specific types, especially if your going into the store. big has like 6+ more denim brands over se and many many more cuts as well. just to be fair...

i think you will love the lines and service big offers. if you e-mail big they respond within a day and have always addressed every single concern/sizing question i have ever had.

mpcec

Reaction score
I like both the 011 and 007 but wouldn't reccomend them as an everyday pair b/c the detailing, darker hardware, stitching, warp & weft, slubbiness make them look off in outfits more suited for regular blue jeans (for lack of a better term.) I think pairs with more off color detailing or dyeing method etc, are more suited as part of a larger rotation.

Also I didn't notice the price discrepancy, so you are right... either way it will come out around the same price.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh
Hey guys, i have a friend who will be going to ny and various other places around america and i decided it would be a good idea if i had them pick up a pair of jeans for me to save on shipping and whilst the aussie dollar is high
smile.gif

Not sure on what to get however i have nailed it down to 2 pairs.

Momotaro Jeans & Blue in Green - 0705BIG - Low/Mid Rise Slim Fit

and

Pure Blue Japan Jeans - XX-011 Left Hand Slim Tapered RAW

any thoughts as to which you perfer and why?

Shouldn't you be comparing the Momo 705 and the PBJ XX-005 instead? Those two are probably more comparable fits than what you are asking about. Conversely, you could compare the Momo 701 and the PBJ XX-011, those would be more comparable as well. But what you are asking right now is to compare a straight leg jean to a tapered leg jean.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpcec
I like both the 011 and 007 but wouldn't reccomend them as an everyday pair b/c the detailing, darker hardware, stitching, warp & weft, slubbiness make them look off in outfits more suited for regular blue jeans (for lack of a better term.) I think pairs with more off color detailing or dyeing method etc, are more suited as part of a larger rotation. Also I didn't notice the price discrepancy, so you are right... either way it will come out around the same price.
out of curiosity, how do slubby jeans look "off"? i think some of the heavier eternals/onis have a unique streaky look to them, but i dont know how that is off? with the exception of the natural indigo pbj model i really dont notice that with any of the pbj models. but maybe that is just my opinion. alex...here are some "in progress" 011's taken from the pbj site. these should give you an idea of how the 011s fade and what not. http://www.purebluejapan.jp/
IMG_1733-249x333.jpg
IMG_1734-249x333.jpg

mpcec

Reaction score
^^^You're right, slubiness won't make it look off. I just listed it in without thinking, but the other characteristics of the jeans mentioned, like grey weft, or a pair with indigo warp and weft, would look out of place in certain contexts. Like if you are going for an "Americana" or "Workwear" look (super vague but you get me), a pair of regular blue jeans (indigo warp, undyed weft) with contrast stitching and the usual rivets etc, would compliment the outfit much better.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpcec
^^^You're right, slubiness won't make it look off. I just listed it in without thinking, but the other characteristics of the jeans mentioned, like grey weft, or a pair with indigo warp and weft, would look out of place in certain contexts. Like if you are going for an "Americana" or "Workwear" look (super vague but you get me), a pair of regular blue jeans (indigo warp, undyed weft) with contrast stitching and the usual rivets etc, would compliment the outfit much better.

ah...okay. yeah, that makes sense now. ty.

maltess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
Momotaro - the toughest jeans known to man, no stretch, great indigo retention, nice fades if you're patient. I can't drool over my 3 pairs of Momo's enough.

I m thinking about the MOMO 0201, they don´t really strecth?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads