• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I've said it before but I hate Rose 31 - I put my two decants into the sample box and sent them away. I find it to be a thin, harsh black pepper scent with hardly any rose at all.

You're certainly in good company in disliking Rose 31! For whatever reason, the harsh pepper note that stands out so much for you is only there at the very top for me. I would actually describe Rose 31 as a sandalwood fragrance. I agree that there's hardly any rose.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that "just a guy with an opinion" Luca Turin compared Rose 31 to carrot juice. I'd agree with him if he was right, but he isn't - not in this case. In 90% of the other reviews he's pretty spot on.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Count me in the "like" Rose 31 camp. I don't love it as much as Willpower and L'incandescent but its pretty damn good still. I'm sticking with L'Artisan Voleur de Roses as my favorite rose scent for now.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today...a blast from the past: Chanel Antaeus. I had Egoiste in hand, but decided to wear something I'd not worn in a while.

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Sticking with the vetiver theme, SMN vetiver today. I would actually consider this a very accurate representation of vetiver. Very earthy grass. I think I'm just coming around to the fact that I really don't like vetiver all that much.

Don't get discouraged! There are nicer vetivers out there...Sycomore for instance.

Wearing Caleche Eau Delicate today. A rather butch fragrance for such a nelly name.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
I know that "just a guy with an opinion" Luca Turin compared Rose 31 to carrot juice. I'd agree with him if he was right, but he isn't - not in this case. In 90% of the other reviews he's pretty spot on.

I am definitely going to steal this line!

Count me in the "like" Rose 31 camp. I don't love it as much as Willpower and L'incandescent but its pretty damn good still. I'm sticking with L'Artisan Voleur de Roses as my favorite rose scent for now.

Oh great, here's my first opportunity! I would agree with you about Voleur de Roses if you were right, but you're not--not in this case. In 90% of the other reviews you're pretty spot on.
smile.gif

Jasmin et Cigarette for me today.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today, Amouage Dia (Homme). Starts pretty gentle, subdued, mildly interesting. Not bad. Now, three hours later it strongly resembles PdN Baladin, except with just enough spice and sunshine to make it worth sniffing. Or, if you prefer, a lighter, easier-wearing Azuree / Aramis.
hmmm, I tried Dia (for men) once but didn't really get much of a lsting impression somehow. It seemed ok, but nothing about it jumped out at me. It just seemed rather "uninteresting". And certainly for the price I'd rather it make me jump.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Today: L'Instant pour Homme. More of a blind grab to dash out the door than a carefully considered choice.
I wore that again yesterday (EdT). It's growing on me, but I still there are so many better options out there for a young lad like me. Maybe if I was old, you know like 30+
uhoh.gif

Originally Posted by Baron
I've said it before but I hate Rose 31 - I put my two decants into the sample box and sent them away. I find it to be a thin, harsh black pepper scent with hardly any rose at all.
yeah, I'm in that camp with you. I've been trying to find a rose I like (apparently a rose by another name DOESN'T smell as sweet). that one I found rather peppery and it had a strong cumin note that bothered me, plus there was hardly any rose to be found!

Originally Posted by Dane
Don't get discouraged! There are nicer vetivers out there...Sycomore for instance.
I was just at the Chanel boutique asking about the 75ml sized and it looks like they haven't made any announcement about them in Canada so they won't come in for at least a season or two.

I've got a pile of Bond samples from ages ago (back when tehy still handed them out generously) so I'm going to work through the whole lot one day at a time of the next couple of weeks.
Today, West Broadway - I smelled something sweet, maybe floral. Definitely cinnimon, and maybe a patchouli or something? I think it's pleasant, but quite "girly" and not in the way that I would still wear it. Somehow reminds me of a little girl in a polka dot skirt with pigtails laughing or something. It's cute. It's lace, when I want leather.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
Don't get discouraged! There are nicer vetivers out there...Sycomore for instance. Wearing Caleche Eau Delicate today. A rather butch fragrance for such a nelly name.
Blech. Sycomore is awful. I thought that Heeley Vervine wasn't too bad. Still, probably not something I'd ever buy.
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Oh great, here's my first opportunity! I would agree with you about Voleur de Roses if you were right, but you're not--not in this case. In 90% of the other reviews you're pretty spot on.
smile.gif
Jasmin et Cigarette for me today.

laugh.gif
How do you like the JeC?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another scorcher which calls for the lemony goodness of YSL Pour Homme

boo

Reaction score
Saks for Him today

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
...I've got a pile of Bond samples from ages ago (back when tehy still handed them out generously) so I'm going to work through the whole lot one day at a time of the next couple of weeks.
Today, West Broadway - I smelled something sweet, maybe floral. Definitely cinnimon, and maybe a patchouli or something? I think it's pleasant, but quite "girly" and not in the way that I would still wear it. Somehow reminds me of a little girl in a polka dot skirt with pigtails laughing or something. It's cute. It's lace, when I want leather.

I found West Broadway to be too feminine myself.

Bond is having their buy two get one free sale again. Or if you didn't want to spring for two bottles, this should mean a flood of newer stock available on eBay. I'd love to take advantage of this, but money's a bit tight. I even have a flacon of Creed Windsor reserved for me at the Creed Boutique, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to get it. I guess it would help if I knew what it smelled like...

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
I guess it would help if I knew what it smelled like...
It's like the smell of the bubblegum found inside a pack of baseball cards - in particular the powder that covers the gum. Not the sweetness, however. Then add the smell of Band Aids (yes, it does smell a bit like them), a tiny bit of Eucalyptus, and there you go. Actually quite nice and pleasant. Decent lasting power, not much sillage. Better smelling than my description of it. Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Great drydown. Definitely a man's scent, unlike Aventus which is as unisex as can be.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today it's Bond - Brooklyn. Cool looking bottle. My first thoughts were, this smells like Encre Noir. It's sort of peppery and smokey, like a vetiver or wood. the note breakdown says gauic wood and Cedar wood or something. Pretty bad longevity and sillage and nothing new here.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you like the JeC?

I don't like it a lot, to be honest. The longevity is much poorer than most of the other ELdOs. And even though I can recognize the quality of the fragrance, I just don't like the way it smells. I think the main problem for me is the jasmine, which I'm generally not a fan of.

Muscs Koublai Khan today. I like this one more every time I wear it. I'm not sure my colleagues would agree, but I think it has to be applied pretty generously to get the full effect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads