• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

VictorC

Reaction score
Anyone, you know photobucket accounts, if you delete a pic on your account does that make the link go dead? Because i deleted a pic i didnt like on my account but i can still view the pic on this site a few posts back which is confusing me.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received a Sterlingwear peacoat (the Authentic) and it was quite a bit lighter weight than I was expecting which was a little disappointing. Then I was at J. Crew on Monday and saw that their peacoat with the Thinsulate lining was on sale for $198 so I picked it up and am much happier with that one.

I would have liked to keep the Sterlingwear one and support a company that makes their products in the USA but I also wanted a coat that will be functional for me for a longer portion of the year and the J. Crew version had that covered for sure.

VictorC

Reaction score
I always thought of peacoats as british military wear. When i imagine the type of person who wears a peacoat i think of English army officer at sea.

lwkeung

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
What do you think of these 2 coats? What one is better do you think?
This one which is from burton,
or this one from topman,
I know they arent genuine, but i think i want to wear the heck out of these 2 before moving onto a more genuine one like sterling or schott.

I think the Topman looks much better. The Burton one is 1 size to big haha. The Burton is probably much better quality than the Topman, so if you can, size down 1 on the Burton.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lwkeung
I think the Topman looks much better. The Burton one is 1 size to big haha. The Burton is probably much better quality than the Topman, so if you can, size down 1 on the Burton.

Oh thanks for that. The burton one is about 70% wool, whereas the topman one is about 60%.
The burton one is a small size which is 36-38 inch chest though, so it already is quite a small size. I changed the buttons to brown on it recently as well.

For a second i thought you might say the topman one is too small for me and too short as well. ha ha.

lwkeung

Reaction score
What's good about the Topman is that is looks slimfitting, whereas the Burton looks fat on you.
It makes you look fat, and the sleeves are too long.
Given the info about the Burton, I would stick with the Topman, definitely.

How tall are you?

VictorC

Reaction score
Im 5ft9. The burton coat is thicker and heavier and ive had it for about 3 years now, but i agree the sleeves are too long for me. The topman one i just bought as i quite liked it. But the topman one is quite tight fitting, and is a small as well.

But im keeping both of them anyway. I have got a french connection one that im trying to sell though. But no takers yet. ha ha.

metajew

Reaction score
I purchased a J. Crew Authentic peacoat last year with a 30% off coupon in a size small. However, once I received it, it didn't seem to fit like a small, at all. The upper block was alright, but lower on the torso and around the stomach it just felt like it had too much material. And so I ended up returning it. Fit pic:
gaeDPl.jpg
In retrospect I think if I could find a good local tailor I probably could've had some alterations made to bring in the lower half or taper/narrow it. But I'm still not sure how drastic of an alteration can be made without ruining the coat. The exterior of this year's J. Crew peacoat looks different, but I suspect the dimensions haven't changed. Though I am tempted since the construction of last years seemed nice otherwise. When I tried on a peacoat at one of the local army/navy surplus shops I found that a 36R offered a good fit, but the sleeves were too short. I've noticed that Sterlingwear and Schott both offer 36 long/tall sizes which I'm tempted to try, but I'm not sure if one is better than the other. I really did like the very dark navy color of the J. Crew coat, but it looks like with Schott and Sterlingwear that their blues look more like a royal blue (too bright), so I'd have to go with black. ( I've been glancing at All Saint's website periodically and admiring the Cohen Coat, but I'm hesitant to drop $400 without trying it on when returns wouldn't be as easy-- I've also heard questionable things about All Saint's quality/construction/durability.) Should I go with one of these suppliers like Schott or Sterlingwear, or can anyone recommend a slimmer fitting peacoat out there from another brand? For reference, I'm 6', 150 lbs, and skinny. \\/\\/\\/\\/ If I can get a chance before the 20% off coupon expires I'll try to head up to the men's J. Crew shop to try one on again.

dave333

Reaction score
^Idk this years J. Crew pea coat really fits quite slim. I'm usually an XS in J. Crew for everything else, but the small on me was perfect. I'd give it a try again.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you want a sterlingwear buy it from sterlingwear
their customer service is great and you'll find more options from them direct than from an army surplus store

Originally Posted by iroh
Can someone please answer my question. Looking to buy a pea coat before winter starts.

pokey07

Reaction score
Yeah the J.Crew is pretty slim. I could barely move my shoulders in a medium, so I went with the large and am getting the mid to lower section tailored. I wear a medium in pretty much everything else at j. Crew with little problem though.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Few sterlingwear Q's

I was thinking about ordering 2 sizes and sending one to the tailor and returning the other. I am almost 6'2 and usually wear a 40-42 jacket. I was thinking about ordering both the 40L and the 42L but maybe I should go 38L, 40L?

As for material, do I want wool or wool/nylon blend? You can go 100% wool with satin lining but I think I might prefer the fleece lining--does anyone have pics of the inside lining of the authentic and the navigator?

Finally, any opinions on the navy and/or gray coats versus the black? I have a dark charcoal overcoat so I was thinking maybe go navy but would it be less versatile? (and you can only get black in 100% wool)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads