• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Edward Green Color (Poll)

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the title is self explanatory I guess. I was in between Dark Oak and Edwardian, but ended up siding with Edwardian. If I did not include a color that is your personal favorite (i.e. if some strange person likes Chameleon best), let me know and I will update the list.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Came across this in a search, surprised there weren't more votes in general.

Separately - does anyone have thoughts on the versatility of Edwardian and suit color? Too light for many staple suits?

Edwardian, like any London tan, is probably the best brown in the sense that it darkens and patinates the best. If you want that beautiful brown in any shade between light and dark, start with Edwardian and it will get there in a year or three. For shoes that can outlive a decade, this isn't asking much. As to versitility with suits, it works. Can be a little strong with dark grays but is at home with tans, light grays, and most blues. But lets be honest, its a lighter colored shoe and that can be a bridge too far for some.

Burnt pine is too green, Chestnut too orange, Acorn/Maple looks like ban-aids, Buxite is a clown color, blue is for Elvis, Burgundy works just fine, Olive, do we have to talk about green shoes? seriously?

Black always works.

Dark Oak is super versatile and I wear it more than anything else but it can be quite dead.

What else is there? Suede - nutmeg is the go to color. Mink always seems too dark, if you do it get something brogued. Coffee is a little too non-commital, being a true mid-brown it actually gets lost which suprises me. Tobacco can be electric, enzyme bright.

Country calf - walnut is a bit dead (see coffee above). Stick with Rosewood - if it's too light or red, a year or two's worth of brown polish will change it.

Do they still have willow grain, beautiful stuff. Stiff stuff.

B

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their burgundy is a killer

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask for Hazel. It's a little red on dark oak.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
There is no green in my burnt pine.

It's a constituent of the brown, sorry you can't see it. It's what contributes to the burnt pine having a cool color tone rather than a warm tone. Burnt pine can be quite variable. B

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post is back from the dead. Fine with me
smile.gif

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for reference, maybe someday aportnoy will fill in all the holes here (or braised - sounds like you have a pretty full collection).

L to R: maple, acorn, Edwardian, chestnut, burnt pine, dark oak, burgundy, olive.

picture2172uc.jpg

coolshoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Ask for Hazel. It's a little red on dark oak.

Yesssss!!! Hazel Antique is an amazing, great looking mid-brown that for some reason is never mentioned on this forum. Lighter than Dark Oak, darker than Burnt Pine. It's my favorite!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Def Dark Oak. Its a staple that is done very well.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolshoes
Yesssss!!! Hazel Antique is an amazing, great looking mid-brown that for some reason is never mentioned on this forum. Lighter than Dark Oak, darker than Burnt Pine. It's my favorite!

Post a picture of Hazel, please. B

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
If I did not include a color that is your personal favorite (i.e. if some strange person likes Chameleon best), let me know and I will update the list.

I was actually just thinking as I went through the list, "What, no Chameleon?!"
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads