• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
I've been slowly acquiring a "home bar" of my own. I have 2 bottles of Noilly Prat vermouth, some garnishes, grenadine, Rose's lime, JW Black, Centenario Anejo, Zacapa 23, Hendrick's, Smirnoff Red, Appleton V/X, and Beefeater. Tried to make a martini this past weekend (without a shaker. my Alessi comes on Monday) with the dry vermouth & beefeater, estimated too much and made a very dry martini.

I think I'll be taking an afternoon dram of JW Black after my noon class and my workout. Long day ahead of me.

Your home bar thread inspired me to start my own, so I did that a couple weeks ago... this is where I'm at for now:
76403_930037630130_15904009_49194694_4687149_n.jpg

-Hendrick's and bog standard Tanq - will add MM when me or gf go on Japan trip
-JD and Maker's Mark - will add 3 or 4 more to this when the time is right
-Smirnoff #21, will add some Russians as they're easier to acquire here
-1800 anejo, not big into Tequila
-Bacardi gold, will add white, but same as above, couldn't care less
-Nikka Taketsuru 12 for a blended whiskey
-Balvenie DW and Laphroaig QC for single malts, way more to come
-Chartreuse green
-Fernet Branca
-Pernod pastis
-Campari
-semi-sweet white and red Martini vermouths, will add Noilly Prat ($10ish in Japan) later
-Luxardo
-Cointreau
-Angostura bitters
-Grenadine syrup

I know I have more than double this left to buy... what do I need? I'm literally buying some of this stuff from black market shops that buy from the U.S. Army bases here, so many things that look mainstream are actually incredibly hard to get, some will have to be hand-carried from Japan.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy bacardi white. It's bottled kerosene. Virtually any other light rum would be better.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Don't buy bacardi white. It's bottled kerosene. Virtually any other light rum would be better.

That's what I grew up stealing from my mom's margarita fortress after midnight though.
redface.gif

I'm gonna eventually add Havana Club 7 (available locally) and then maybe get my gf to gift me a really old bottle of something demerara, like 22 years old or something (seen them for about $100 in Japan) for darker stuff, but light rum has me lost.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I know I have more than double this left to buy... what do I need? I'm literally buying some of this stuff from black market shops that buy from the U.S. Army bases here, so many things that look mainstream are actually incredibly hard to get, some will have to be hand-carried from Japan.
I would add a brandy/cognac, a rye whiskey, Cherry Heering, St. Germain, and orange bitters.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 Cane maybe for white rum? I've been wondering about light rum myself, and I need to get my hands on some Angostura bitters (and perhaps the orange bitters too). I'm not too thrilled with Rose's grenadine, considering it's completely high fructose corn syrup (which I hate), so I'm contemplating making my own grenadine when I have time. I still have much of my home bar to buy (i'm about 1/3 done, $$$ wise), so I can start adding more stuff (and drinking) soon.

Also, Noilly Prat is cheaper in Japan than it is in Ohio (lol). Looking at my receipt from the liquor agency, I paid $13.99 per fifth of the stuff, though I probably should have gone with a smaller quantity considering I won't be going through the stuff very quickly.

Off topic, but has anyone had any of this season's Great Lakes' Christmas Ale? One of my fraternity brothers just picked up two six packs, and I was wondering if it was readily available (or as readily as it will ever be) yet.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Today was long, but I wasn't really in the mood for something too stiff and I don't have a small beer or a bottle of wine chilled, so I mixed up a bastardized orange blossom. Hadn't had one of those in a while...forgot how much I enjoy them.

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Flor de Cana makes a 4 year white rum that's cheap and highly rated, maybe give that a shot, since 10 cane is expensive and white rum is primarily a mixer.

I'm drinking a Great Divide Hoss rye lager/marzen with my burrito and I believe I'll have a postprandial HP12 as well.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Last day off work, sitting with my dying kitty curled up along my leg and purring, and sipping a Rusty Nail with 18 y/o Macallan Sherry Cask and VTR bitters. Having it on the rocks.
Is that the same as the Costco/McCallan 18? I've never heard of a RN being made that way.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oDD_LotS
Today was long, but I wasn't really in the mood for something too stiff and I don't have a small beer or a bottle of wine chilled, so I mixed up a bastardized orange blossom. Hadn't had one of those in a while...forgot how much I enjoy them.

So what's the difference between a bastardized mixture of orange juice and gin and a proper mixture of orange juice and gin?

Also, if you like those, try a Luigi. The recipe my book has:
1.5 measures gin
1.5 dry vermouth
1/4 measure grenadine
dash of triple sec
Juice of half an orange or tangerine

Shaken and strained into a glass. If you have traditionally sized cocktail glasses, this will probably be too large, but some sort of stemmed glass is probably preferable.

The orange and gin flavors still shine, but it's a much more complex and refined drink.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^it's only 2pm, but I have all the stuff for that and I want to try one now....
redface.gif

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Made a pear and ginger cocktail with the Domaine de Canton liqueur, pear nectar, and vodka. Then I made a raspberry margarita by slightly adulterating a margarita with some leftover raspberry coulis I made to accompany some lemon bars. Then I made a Bijou cocktail now that I finally got around to getting a bottle of Chartreuse. I think that's enough drink for me tonight.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
negroni before dinner, LLB after
74267_932664276310_15904009_49260921_3059091_n.jpg
74017_932709395890_15904009_49261253_4312391_n.jpg

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Chartreuse green and citrus mineral water

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads