• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumb but Honest Question

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is ****** offensive to gays, like *****r is to Blacks , **** is to Jews and so on?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
like the n-word to blacks and k-word to jews, I think the only time it's not offensive is if someone from that community's saying it, in a non-serious manner.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Depends. If you're British then its a cigarette. If you're old school, or past the age of 60, then *** probably = sissy. Queer was used to single out ****'s back then.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the south its a go-to insult for anyone. Outside you can assume its a specific reference to homosexuality.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As a black guy, I'd think you'd know that it is definitely offensive when uttered by a stranger as a slur, but can have a whole host of different grades of meaning depending on context.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****** harkens back to the times when homosexuals were burned alive. Put another ****** on the fire. I can see how that can be offensive, when put into context.

rdaws

Reaction score
Good rule of thumb: If a word is used to insult somebody based on an innate characteristic, it is offensive.

Those words exist not to describe something, but rather as an insult that carries all the baggage associated with that characteristic and can't be defended against. It can be context-specific if it's not used to carry the loaded meaning as an insult (by members of the same group, for example), but that still doesn't make it OK to everyone.

AgentQ

Reaction score
This reminds me of some of Mike Tyson's insults. Like, "You're sweet. I'm going to make sure you kiss me good with those big lips. I'm gonna make you my girlfriend." And the classic, "I'll **** you 'til you love me, ******."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. (watch until the end)

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
This reminds me of some of Mike Tyson's insults. Like, "You're sweet. I'm going to make sure you kiss me good with those big lips. I'm gonna make you my girlfriend." And the classic, "I'll **** you 'til you love me, ******."
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. (watch until the end)

Wow

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
****** harkens back to the times when homosexuals were burned alive. Put another ****** on the fire. I can see how that can be offensive, when put into context.

Hence the adjective "flaming", as in flaming homosexual, flaming ******, etc.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
Hence the adjective "flaming", as in flaming homosexual, flaming ******, etc.

No.

From Dictionary.com:

"male homosexual," 1914, Amer.Eng. slang (shortened form *** is from 1921), probably from earlier contemptuous term for "woman" (1591), especially an old and unpleasant one, in reference to ****** (1) "bundle of sticks," as something awkward that has to be carried (cf. baggage ). It was used in this sense in 20c. by D.H. Lawrence and James Joyce, among others. It may also be reinforced by Yiddish faygele "homosexual," lit. "little bird." It also may have roots in Brit. public school slang *** "a junior who does certain duties for a senior" (1785), with suggestions of "catamite," from *** (v.). This was also used as a verb.

"He [the prefect] used to *** me to blow the chapel organ for him." ["Boy's Own Paper," 1889]

Other obsolete senses of ****** were "man hired into military service simply to fill out the ranks at muster" (1700) and "vote manufactured for party purposes" (1817). The oft-heard statement that male homosexuals were called faggots in reference to their being burned at the stake is an etymological urban legend. Burning was sometimes a punishment meted out to homosexuals in Christian Europe (on the suggestion of the Biblical fate of Sodom and Gomorah), but in England, where parliament had made homosexuality a capital offense in 1533, hanging was the method prescribed. Any use of ****** in connection with public executions had long become an English historical obscurity by the time the word began to be used for "male homosexual" in 20th century American slang, whereas the contemptuous slang word for "woman" (and the other possible sources or influences listed here) was in active use.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
No.

From Dictionary.com:

It seems every word/phrase with an apocryphal etymology is not correct.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone who has been young and gay, or even young and somewhat effeminate, has almost certainly been called a ******. By other young people and even by adults. (One of my teachers called me a ****** once!) There's no way you could fail to notice the pejorative sense of the term. In fact, use of the term was typically accompanied by a threat of violence. If you are gay, then, you've probably spent most of your life very keenly aware of what the term means.

Gays have made some effort to co-opt the term. In my experience, gays will sometimes use "***" affectionately. But I haven't heard "******" used affectionately nearly as often.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
faggottreep.jpg
faggottreep.jpg

faggottreep.jpg
faggottreep.jpg

faggottreep.jpg
faggottreep.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads