• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epic Frustration

CrazyJ

Reaction score
I interviewed for a very prestigious, paid student co-op in computer science that pretty much guaranteed me a job after graduation. During the time I'm in school, they would pay me $13 an hour. I amazed all of my interviewers with my awesome talking skills and bagged the job in a week, phone call, orientation date, everything.

They called me the next day to apologize for revoking the job offer even after I accepted it and posted all over facebook about it, and having about 40 people congratulate me.

Why?

I'm not a citizen of the ******* United States.

They said apologetically that they would let me start as soon as I receive my citizenship, which will take 1-2 years to process.

oooooof

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our jerbs is now safe from the CrazyJew.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show them just how American you are...sue them.
lol8[1].gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a working visa? If not, this is not very surprising.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Hello, what did you expect?

+1

While I do feel bad for you, you should have checked on this before going down the line with interviews and whatnot. Don't assume that an employer here will hire internationals without work authorization, because surprisingly few actually will. It was a major point of frustration for my international peers in b-school, though at least the companies there had the good sense to post "we do not consider or sponsor non-work-authorized students" with their job listings.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's sloppy that they didn't think about this before hiring you.

jctu82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
+1 While I do feel bad for you, you should have checked on this before going down the line with interviews and whatnot. Don't assume that an employer here will hire internationals without work authorization, because surprisingly few actually will. It was a major point of frustration for my international peers in b-school, though at least the companies there had the good sense to post "we do not consider or sponsor non-work-authorized students" with their job listings.
I completely agree.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's actually b/c you are Jewish.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this one of your first successful interviews?

I am asking because the question "are you legally authorized to work in the US" is really common.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
Yes, I am a legal resident with a green card to work... I've been a resident for about fourteen years now. I had to be an actual citizen (which I could've been, if I applied earlier... you don't really think about this when you're a teenager), because it's a defense company. Funnily enough, the company is Canadian, and I am a Canadian citizen. But you have to be american.
plain.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can see where you're frustrated, but I don't think it's unreasonable on the part of the company. It seems to me that, given the type of job, you'd have thought to ask this question at some point during the hiring process.

Either way, it sucks that you found out so late.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrazyJew
...it's a defense company. Funnily enough, the company is Canadian, and I am a Canadian citizen. But you have to be american.

eh.gif

chenc

Reaction score
I suggest you go shoe shopping as way to get over this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads