• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

mikeman

Reaction score
The boot itself is nice. The color on the other hand...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pope Hilarius
Yea or nay? I'm not sure if I love these or if I should return them.

return the boots. read the SAT books

streffert

Reaction score
Just picked up my new 8138 in Briar Oil Slick. I would have loved to get the "original" color, however this was a little more appealing and was available in a 14.

Bought them at the local Red Wing store, owner was very nice, ordered them last week and showed up in 10 days. Everywhere online i found prices from 215-230, i paid 189.00 plus no sales tax in MN.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by streffert
Just picked up my new 8138 in Briar Oil Slick. I would have loved to get the "original" color, however this was a little more appealing and was available in a 14.

Bought them at the local Red Wing store, owner was very nice, ordered them last week and showed up in 10 days. Everywhere online i found prices from 215-230, i paid 189.00 plus no sales tax in MN.

Just got mine today too for $140 shipped. Wore them out tonight to dinner but noticed an immediate problem that will hopefully be solved with a good break-in.

Did any moc-toe owners have any problems with the top-back part of the boot jabbing into your Achilles tendon? I actually had to take the left boot off whilst sitting in traffic on the Dan Ryan because it hurt my Achilles tendon when I pushed the clutch in. They're fine when I walk in them, but when I have to do that pushing motion with my toe (like the clutch) it just digs in like nobody's business.

I never had the Achilles problem with my Iron Rangers so I don't know if this is a permanent thing with the moc-toe boots or if the heel will soften up a bit as I break them in. Maybe they just need a good oiling?

My Iron Rangers are 11.5D and these are 11EE if that sheds any light (yeah, they're a little wide but the ebay price was too good to pass up).

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You're going to get achilles tendonitis which can last a painfully long time. Try softening the leather with neats foot oil or similar and work the hell out of it. Then, a long, slow break-in.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by burningbright
Just got mine today too for $140 shipped. Wore them out tonight to dinner but noticed an immediate problem that will hopefully be solved with a good break-in.

Did any moc-toe owners have any problems with the top-back part of the boot jabbing into your Achilles tendon? I actually had to take the left boot off whilst sitting in traffic on the Dan Ryan because it hurt my Achilles tendon when I pushed the clutch in. They're fine when I walk in them, but when I have to do that pushing motion with my toe (like the clutch) it just digs in like nobody's business.

I never had the Achilles problem with my Iron Rangers so I don't know if this is a permanent thing with the moc-toe boots or if the heel will soften up a bit as I break them in. Maybe they just need a good oiling?

My Iron Rangers are 11.5D and these are 11EE if that sheds any light (yeah, they're a little wide but the ebay price was too good to pass up).

I have the exact same boot, and thought about taking them back for the exact same reason you mention. Now, they are as comfortable as any sneaker I own.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
I have the exact same boot, and thought about taking them back for the exact same reason you mention. Now, they are as comfortable as any sneaker I own.

This is good to know. Do you recall about how long your break in time was?

streffert

Reaction score
I noticed some pain on the seams, however, he took a leather tool and worked some magic. I used the mink oil on them last night and now im excited to wipe then down and give them a good days worth of puttering around.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say this is dependent on the wearer/boot type. I wear a lot of boots and have had some that were painful and long (Alden Indy - 50 plus wears) and some that were less Red Wings from J. Crew (2-3 weeks) and Danner Mountain Light II (1 week) and they are all pretty comfy now. White's Semi Dress on the other hand was comfy enough right off the bat and is now as comfortable as any shoe I've ever worn.

Dress shoes can be similar, and I guess my point is that the experience can vary by wearer.

KPO89

Reaction score
2010-11-09_12-35-52_141.jpg
I just don't know if these fit my style or not. Just got them off of Gilt. They are the Irish setters. I think they might be too clunky. Somebody let me know if they want them. They are size 10.5.

takashi

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good, KPO89.
Not sure jean-in style though... (if you are real hiker, or like hunting with real setter, then why not?)
Also nice in winter season!

ArliHawk`

Reaction score

About 5 days. Simply love them. Now, I need to head to the Red Wing store to get some boot oil.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
I just don't know if these fit my style or not. Just got them off of Gilt. They are the Irish setters. I think they might be too clunky. Somebody let me know if they want them. They are size 10.5.

They combine two things I hate - moc toe and wedge soles.

streffert

Reaction score
been wearing them pretty regularly, did notice rear ankle pain but only lasted one night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads