• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brunch - New York City

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I get the impression that's the conventional wisdom these days. People think he's overexposed and overrated. But I've never had anything but a great meal at Mesa ... Given a choice between Mesa and peers like Rosa Mexicano or Dos Caminos, I'll usually choose Mesa.

+1, actually. I ate there two months ago and I still enjoyed the food. It's not high end by any means, but this isn't the point. Compared to it's peers in price and style, I do view Mesa Grill favorably. It's also the type of place that I am much more inclined to grab a seat at the bar, order some food and a bunch of drinks, and then just relax with some good company.

lim's

Reaction score
I get the impression that's the conventional wisdom these days. People think he's overexposed and overrated. But I've never had anything but a great meal at Mesa. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been several times in the past year and the food has been consistently very good. It's not on par with some of the finer restaurants in NYC, but then it's not trying to be. It's a casual, comfortable place that falls somewhere between your average NYC restaurant (La Esquina or some place like that) and a high-end dining experience. Maybe if you're going all out for dinner I would say save the cash and go to Le Bernardin, but for lunch or brunch it's definitely worth it. Given a choice between Mesa and peers like Rosa Mexicano or Dos Caminos, I'll usually choose Mesa.
In the past five years, I dined there two years in a row during restaurant week and brunch on another occasion. The food was so-so, but the service was not very good. For example, the waiters started to clear the table, without asking, before all of us finished eating. That has never happened to me at a restaurant on any level...not even Denny's.

lim's

Reaction score
I get the impression that's the conventional wisdom these days. People think he's overexposed and overrated. But I've never had anything but a great meal at Mesa. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been several times in the past year and the food has been consistently very good. It's not on par with some of the finer restaurants in NYC, but then it's not trying to be. It's a casual, comfortable place that falls somewhere between your average NYC restaurant (La Esquina or some place like that) and a high-end dining experience. Maybe if you're going all out for dinner I would say save the cash and go to Le Bernardin, but for lunch or brunch it's definitely worth it. Given a choice between Mesa and peers like Rosa Mexicano or Dos Caminos, I'll usually choose Mesa.
In the past five years, I dined there two years in a row during restaurant week and brunch on another occasion. The food was so-so, but the service was not very good. For example, the waiters started to clear the table, without asking, before all of us finished eating. That has never happened to me at a restaurant on any level...not even Denny's.

We complained about it to someone who appeared to the manager. He said that he was sorry, and that he had told his staff to quit doing that. Apparently, this was a common practice (mistake) at Mesa. lol.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lim's

well there's your problem. Nobody likes the brunch or "restaurant week" crowd, it's to their financial advantage to get you in and then out. And of course the food is so-so at restaurant week - it's the surplus salmon and skirt steak that is meant to cost the chef as little as possible in food and staff costs (and this is pretty much required since restaurant week diners don't bring much cash in for a restaurant as they rarely drink much either).

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be extremely annoying. I've never had it happen to me, fortunately. In fact service has always been exceptional when I've gone. Maybe the place just appeals to me in a totally subjective way. I mentioned Mesa to my fiance the other day and she reminded me that she wasn't thrilled with her food the last time we went (which was in August, I believe). I had forgotten about that. I'm willing to admit it's completely possible that I don't have the most discerning palate, and as long as food is above a certain minimum quality level, I think it's all good. I just like to eat. I'm a hungry bastard.

Originally Posted by lim's

We complained about it to someone who appeared to the manager. He said that he was sorry, and that he had told his staff to quit doing that. Apparently, this was a common practice (mistake) at Mesa. lol.

lim's

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
well there's your problem. Nobody likes the brunch or "restaurant week" crowd, it's to their financial advantage to get you in and then out. And of course the food is so-so at restaurant week - it's the surplus salmon and skirt steak that is meant to cost the chef as little as possible in food and staff costs (and this is pretty much required since restaurant week diners don't bring much cash in for a restaurant as they rarely drink much either).

I haven't had problems for lunch during restaurant week at other established restaurants. Even though lunch is $24, it's not much less than the a la carte during a regular week. And, why would brunch be a problem?

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Resto's Brunch? I just came back from having lunch and the Brunch menu looks legit.

Also, Can anyone suggest a place in LES that serves a surpisingly good brunch? Freemans + Schillers + Essex House on weekends are way too crowded.

greenbean

Reaction score
Hi There

There is a really amayzing bagel place waround west 40th street between 5 and 6th, cant remember the name of it but sooo delicious! Highly reccomended!

Best wishes

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
What are you favorite places to have brunch? It seems like i have been going to Prune and ABC Kitchen lately. Need some new places to check out. Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks
le bilboquet merkato bagatelle oak room i tre merli revel cipriani downtown lavo v.d.m.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
le bilboquet
merkato
bagatelle
oak room
i tre merli
revel
cipriani downtown
lavo
v.d.m.

Q. I need you to recommend a restaurant. I'm a 35-year-old professional in Manhattan, and I am looking for a place where I can take my boys from the office to meet this smoking-hot girl I hooked up with at Lily Pond in the Hamptons this summer.

Me and my team, we're big into that whole meatpacking district thing. We like steak, veal. Maybe Italian food? There's one dude from Mexico City who eats only fish, which is weird. Maybe this girl would eat fish, too. I don't know. We've been to something like 10 restaurants now, and I think her favorite foods are truffle fries and ketchup. But she drinks Champagne. So maybe bottle service?

Speaking of, this place has to be exclusive. I need a little exclusivity to offset the fact that I'm taking a girl to dinner with six dudes who do math for a living, and not six girls who look just like her. Usually, she likes to eat in a room with women who look like beautiful giraffes and dudes tall enough to look down on them.

Which is, by the way, a message I totally endorse: I'm a former rugby back, 6-foot-3, 220!

Finally, if there's a guy in the restroom who could hand me a towel after I'm done doing my business in there and washing my hands, maybe give me a mint or something? I would be into that. Old school! I would tip that guy $5 just for being there, you know?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
Q. I need you to recommend a restaurant. I’m a 35-year-old professional in Manhattan, and I am looking for a place where I can take my boys from the office to meet this smoking-hot girl I hooked up with at Lily Pond in the Hamptons this summer.

Me and my team, we’re big into that whole meatpacking district thing. We like steak, veal. Maybe Italian food? There’s one dude from Mexico City who eats only fish, which is weird. Maybe this girl would eat fish, too. I don’t know. We’ve been to something like 10 restaurants now, and I think her favorite foods are truffle fries and ketchup. But she drinks Champagne. So maybe bottle service?

Speaking of, this place has to be exclusive. I need a little exclusivity to offset the fact that I’m taking a girl to dinner with six dudes who do math for a living, and not six girls who look just like her. Usually, she likes to eat in a room with women who look like beautiful giraffes and dudes tall enough to look down on them.

Which is, by the way, a message I totally endorse: I’m a former rugby back, 6-foot-3, 220!

Finally, if there’s a guy in the restroom who could hand me a towel after I’m done doing my business in there and washing my hands, maybe give me a mint or something? I would be into that. Old school! I would tip that guy $5 just for being there, you know?

laugh.gif

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q. I need you to recommend a restaurant. I'm a 35-year-old professional in Manhattan, and I am looking for a place where I can take my boys from the office to meet this smoking-hot girl I hooked up with at Lily Pond in the Hamptons this summer.

Me and my team, we're big into that whole meatpacking district thing. We like steak, veal. Maybe Italian food? There's one dude from Mexico City who eats only fish, which is weird. Maybe this girl would eat fish, too. I don't know. We've been to something like 10 restaurants now, and I think her favorite foods are truffle fries and ketchup. But she drinks Champagne. So maybe bottle service?

Speaking of, this place has to be exclusive. I need a little exclusivity to offset the fact that I'm taking a girl to dinner with six dudes who do math for a living, and not six girls who look just like her. Usually, she likes to eat in a room with women who look like beautiful giraffes and dudes tall enough to look down on them.

Which is, by the way, a message I totally endorse: I'm a former rugby back, 6-foot-3, 220!

Finally, if there's a guy in the restroom who could hand me a towel after I'm done doing my business in there and washing my hands, maybe give me a mint or something? I would be into that. Old school! I would tip that guy $5 just for being there, you know?

That's hilarious, especially more so when I first read it from Sifton describing the atmosphere at LAVO.

changy

Reaction score

lol

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

JasonCali

Reaction score
Cafe Carlyle
Balthazar on Spring Street
Pastis in the MePa
Bouchon at the TWC
Sarabeth's in the UWS
Cafe Gitane at the Jane
Gemma at The Bowery
Penelope on Lex

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads