• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown with black looks silly. Different shades of brown are acceptable, although, I prefer my shoes and belts to match as much as possible unless I'm mismatching them on purpose, in which case I carefully study the result before I go out of the house.

Claudius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Brown with black looks silly. Different shades of brown are acceptable

Alright, so in the image example I gave, is the brown color difference too much?

Claudius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think the real question here is, why are you wearing those hideous shoes? And with a casual belt?

Those are not mine, it's just an example (I think those Gucci shoes are quite nice though).

What I want to know is whether the color difference between the dark brown belt and light brown shoes is acceptable or not done?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Claudius
Those are not mine, it's just an example (I think those Gucci shoes are quite nice though).

What I want to know is whether the color difference between the dark brown belt and light brown shoes is acceptable or not done?

1. For dressy/formal/office/work situation, they must match. For casual situations, it can be done, but I can hardly remember seeing anyone that did it successfully. The only one example in my head is this guy wearing shoes/bag in one color, and belt/bracelet in the other color. Again, rather hard to do.
2. Those shoes are ugly, very ugly, the stitching is uneven, the logo is idiotic, the calf leather also looks cheap, the small piece of crocodile toe is worthless (crocodile skin is like diamond, the value is exponentially decreasing as the size goes down. Gucci has some nicer shoes, but those are hard to find.

NerdiusRex

Reaction score
What is the most appropriate kind of jacket to wear in the (New England) winter over a sports/suit coat?

Also is it OK to wear khaki colored pants all winter?

Claudius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
1. For dressy/formal/office/work situation, they must match. For casual situations, it can be done, but I can hardly remember seeing anyone that did it successfully. The only one example in my head is this guy wearing shoes/bag in one color, and belt/bracelet in the other color. Again, rather hard to do.

Okay, thanks for the advice. Then I'll have to buy a lighter brown color belt.

2. Those shoes are ugly, very ugly, the stitching is uneven, the logo is idiotic, the calf leather also looks cheap, the small piece of crocodile toe is worthless (crocodile skin is like diamond, the value is exponentially decreasing as the size goes down. Gucci has some nicer shoes, but those are hard to find.
I agree that the little piece of crocodile skin looks weird on the shoe, but it's not as bad overall as you claim it to be. If you find that very ugly, then you've never seen Crocs before. :p

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Claudius
Okay, thanks for the advice. Then I'll have to buy a lighter brown color belt.

I agree that the little piece of crocodile skin looks weird on the shoe, but it's not as bad overall as you claim it to be. If you find that very ugly, then you've never seen Crocs before. :p

Crocs aren't even shoes in my book. The ones you posted are shoes, albeit very ugly ones.

Claudius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Crocs aren't even shoes in my book. The ones you posted are shoes, albeit very ugly ones.
There are way worse looking shoes, and that's your opinion. This pair looks okay to me, not great. Crocs are shoes too. :p

deadfly

Reaction score
What is this coat called? I like the length of the coat. http://imgur.com/d3JjN Does anyone know where I can find this coat in charcoal color or any color close to gray. Even tweed would be pretty cool

negusnegas

Reaction score
To the dude above, looks like some sort of derivative of an officer's coat. I believe Rag & Bone does something like that every F/W.

Actually have my own question to. Has anyone ever heard of Southcombe gloves? Saw them on eBay and evidently been around for 160 years, but haven't been able to find anything on SF.
Thanks.

deadfly

Reaction score
wow you have good eye. It is rag&bone. Is it a double breasted wool coat? What do you call a coat w/ that length? and where can I find something similar. My focus here is on the length of the coat and double breast wool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads