• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

richardwallace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by percy
i basically narrowed my choices down to either the turnout comfort or gardener/yard boot. so does anyone own both or have an opinion on which may be more suitable for what i require?
take a look at the vesta leather. i think the yearling leather (standard on turnout) is too dressy for casual and greasy kip leather (standard on gardener/yard) is too utilitarian looking. vesta is water resistant. i'd recommend: comfort turnout in brown vesta (you can also get black vesta)
vestaturnout-1.jpg
or gardener/yard boot in vesta, but only if you need the extra grip. if you got this MTO, you could probably get the standard gardener/yard boot sole with a leather heel. it would look a lot better than the standard rubber heel. i have the yard boot in distressed black:
distressedside.jpg
distressedsole.jpg

percy

Reaction score
thanks for your reply.

the brown vesta in that pic certainly looks a lovely rich colour. i actually liked the look of the vesta leather in pictures i had seen of the gammon boot and stuart top, albeit in different shades.

i am based in the uk so i will look around to see what leather options are readily available but it wouldnt surprise me if most retailers only sold the basics. regarding the sole, daily comfort and usability in our climate is priority.

thanks once again
percy

richardwallace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by percy
thanks for your reply. the brown vesta in that pic certainly looks a lovely rich colour. i actually liked the look of the vesta leather in pictures i had seen of the gammon boot and stuart top, albeit in different shades. i am based in the uk so i will look around to see what leather options are readily available but it wouldnt surprise me if most retailers only sold the basics. regarding the sole, daily comfort and usability in our climate is priority. thanks once again percy
yes, there seems to be some variation in the vesta leather, sometimes it is a rich reddish brown and sometimes it is a fairly boring flat brown. i have seen both in real life and i'm not sure whether if you place a MTO order you will get what you want
rigger_boot.png
XL.jpg
B543VAngle400.gif
B578V-2.jpg
the sole depends on how much grip you think you need, i'd recommend the comfort turnout... only get the yard/gardener if you think you need lots of grip (or you prefer the chunkier, rougher look) all of the boots above have the same sole and heel as the yard/gardener (gardener is same as yard but sole is not screwed)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the RMW Leather Conditioner provide any degree of waterproofing?

I ordered a big tub of RMW's conditioner a while back and use it on my yearling craftsman boots a few times/year (probably quarterly if I had to guess).

However, while applying a coat of the conditioner to a pair of Blundstone 500's this week and to the leather on an old Filson briefcase, I happened to read that it contains beeswax. IIRC, products like sno-seal derive their water resistance from beeswax (don't they?).

My RMW boots don't see a lot of wet weather use but my Blundstones OTOH are my go-to winter casual boot. Just wondering if the conditioning regimen is also helping out with water resistance as well. I've never used any other water proofing on the Blundstones and wonder if the RMW conditioner is all I'll need for the winter seasaon.

For reference, here's my craftsmen with just conditioner applied.

DSC_6931.jpg

Black shoe on the left just had a topy style vibram half sole installed. Chestnut on right looks virtually the same with no rubber sole installed.

DSC_6940.jpg

Avocat

Reaction score
First off, excellent post; and to let you gents know, your formula works for us ladies, too (BTW, as a Montrealer, I believe in and always in GREAT footware; we (at least myself) enjoy bespoke, and as such, RMW wholecut for the price, even though the US/CDN buck to the AU has gone awry is still in my op a good deal, whether on sale at the T.O/Van shop or online. It's all relative, isn't it?
wink.gif
Secondly, to those gents who ask about the propriety of RMW and/or chelsea/Jod (ankle boots) generally for women (and thank you, appreciate the question) please know that it was in fact us, the ladies, who apparently "discovered" the versatility of the Jod/Chelsea, thanks; this, owing to Queen Vic and busy aristocratic women (both on and off horse) going about their daily (busy, aristocratic) lives, and of course men at the time caught on also since, what's good enough for the queen/royalty, was good enough for the men, generally speaking, and not of course just the polo players and military, etc. (then, in Queen Vic's time was also where the bespoke "Albert slipper" as I understand came from, from her court and still worn today by English Barristers, etc., but to be sure, it is truly wonderful to hear and actually see men in modern times actually caring about their footwear where once only women did (wonderful, really, and so nice to meet you gents; and yes, I referred my hubbie, also a Montrealer who dresses well, style forum/gentlemanly, who knows his wools from his cashmere, and I as an equestrian (former competitor, now a hobbyist) know my footwear, and am here to tell you that women LOVE RMWs, too. In terms of sizing, in reference/comparison to CJs, their dress fit for you guys are our relaxed fit (ie, a US/CDN man's 7D is a CJ 6E (you relaxed/non tight guys call it a 6.5 US, we ladies say beautiful ie 9 US/CDN relax fit,then, CJ also makes a woman's specific line). In terms of RMW sizing, a well made street boot with jeans, also for riding (yes, I do), a 6F for a 8.5/9 (EU 39) works beautifully; in a craftsman, make that a 5.5G *with thin as in nylon type socks, given our heels are much narrower, for some of us anyway, a 5G works, though the G unless riding frankly is just too darn wide for us; better a 6F as noted, being 3 sizes down from our US/CDN size (i.e., 9), and hence, what RMW recommends (and that earlier chart, keep in mind, RMW is NOT in ladies size, but Men's size so as such is of NO USE, but thanks for posting; again, for you men, 1 size down since a G is wider (on average) than a US D width; F is more like a D (and I as a lady use an insert which shores up the fit, which makes that F more like an E fit but which most males say is too tight and thus go up that 1/2 size from ie the E in the first place (ie the F (medium-narrow) or G (medium-plus), right?). Hope this helps, and cheers. And again, so lovely to see -- FINALLY -- men taking an interest in their clothes/footwear; hope your ladies appreciate it as much as I do my guy! Lovely forum/discussion, and must also say, I have/am enjoying these forums, and turns out learning myself a lot! So, in turn, thought I'd share some info, and remember, always depends also on the leather (ie yearling stretches about 1/4 at best when warm, or so I found, with veal and roo about 1/2 size, depending also on your trees and conditioning, too. As to half sizing: yes, BOTH in terms of length AND width for most makers including RMW (NOT to be confused with Blunds, fellas, where half-sizes connote width only, thus different from RMWs, etc.). Hope this helps, gents, and G'Nite, eh? LOL (BTW, love the MERLOT comment, and don't you dare make it worse even by mixing it with a Cab ....
devil.gif
LOL). Cheers, Avocat "I am what I am and I am what I do; but I am more than what I do and what I do is only a part of what I am. Take it all with a grain of salt, and consider your source always."

Avocat

Reaction score
Patrick B. wrote: "However, while applying a coat of the conditioner to a pair of Blundstone 500's this week and to the leather on an old Filson briefcase, I happened to read that it contains beeswax. IIRC, products like sno-seal derive their water resistance from beeswax (don't they?)...My RMW boots don't see a lot of wet weather use but my Blundstones OTOH are my go-to winter casual boot. Just wondering if the conditioning regimen is also helping out with water resistance as well. I've never used any other water proofing on the Blundstones and wonder if the RMW conditioner is all I'll need for the winter (season)." _____________________ Patrick, beeswax is contained in numerous conditioning products, an old method to help with general stain including water protection, thus in Sno Seal among others, but alone isn't really enough in my op and if you check, you're likely to find Sno Seal, and other products (like Dubbin, etc.) which are meant just for that -weather proofing- contain other things, especially (in the case of Dubbin) silicone, for e.g. Now, everyone has their own methods and preferences, swearing by what they use and also their own personal regimen, but when it comes to work boots, including barn boots, hikers and blunds, while basic conditioning methods certainly don't hurt (I personally use Lexol, then, as noted, everyone has their favorite products and/or tried and true methods), you're going to want something more and in the case of Blunds, although an all weather/oiled leather boot thus as water resistant as leather can be (anything more and they wouldn't breathe), I'd recommend (and do in fact use) Dubbin with silicone, which product conditions as well as protects. Again, everyone has their own methods/ideas on this, and always will, with some saying that Dubbin, if used too much/too liberally, can actually hurt the leather (ie., rotting seams and/or stretching boots, but this pertains to the older methods of manufacture in terms of the stitch, which isn't applicable today in terms of the threads used; that said I certainly wouldn't Dubbin a lighter and/or dress leather, such as RMWs apart from yearling (and remember the soles when it comes to leather also, if so) and even then only use it sparingly at best (keep in mind also, if do, will dull the boot so as to prevent a good shine thereafter, and another reason not to when it comes to anything but of course work boots). Fact is, leather of any kind in my op. and salty, slushy snow conditions don't mix (at least, not where I reside, central Canadian winters consisting of light snow and (slushy) ice for the most part at least in the City proper, which is very wet/slush due to the immense amounts of salt used, and which simply isn't a good idea to drag leather anything through, no matter how well treated, in my op. anyway). That said, I have been known to wear Blunds which are all weather/oil+waxy leathers through winter as well as barn conditions, and find that they hold up quite well in all such conditions, provided a little care as you say is used (namely, wiping dry when wet with a cloth, using saddle soap as necessary to remove stains (some say a vinegar water mixture works just as well) and then allowing to air dry (using a fan to speed up the process by circulating the air, but never use or stand near a heat source of course), stuffing with newspaper if really wet, then polish and brush when dry, sparingly applying Dubbin w/ silicone thereafter and wiping any excess off with a clean cloth. Sno seal is said to be easier in terms of application, and many swear by it, but I personally prefer the Dubbin with silicone, as it conditions as well as protects and myself have never had anything but great results with it, and many "cowboys" swear by it still (and they should know, yes?
wink.gif
Here's also what the manufacturer, Blundstone (Canada) has to say about it: http://www.blundstone.ca/caring-for-your-boots.html Hope this helps, and great looking boots, everyone! Cheers.

etrayne

Reaction score
I've got a question about the new Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsman that RM Williams is selling - does anyone know if the Dynamic Flex style fits any differently than the regular Comfort Craftsman?

Based on what I've seen on the RM Williams website, the Dynamic Flex style seems to have more padding on the interior of the boot, so I am wondering if it will fit a little tighter than the regular Comfort Craftsman. In other words, if I would typically wear a 9F in the regular Comfort Craftsman, would I need a 9G in a Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsman? Any help would be much appreciated, since I will be ordering a pair without being able to try them on.

SpeedBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by etrayne
In other words, if I would typically wear a 9F in the regular Comfort Craftsman, would I need a 9G in a Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsman? Any help would be much appreciated, since I will be ordering a pair without being able to try them on.

The best way to find out is to actually get to a store and try then on, depending on if you can find a store near you.

I find the comfort craftsman has a slightly higher insole compared to the orignal craftsman. And by looking through the web page details it looks like the dynamic flex innersole is once again slightly higher than the comfort craftsman range. If you cannot try then on before buying it will be worth talking the risk to go with the 9G fitting. And if the 9G are a little loose then a pair of slightly thicker socks might combat that issue.

jules

Reaction score
Hi all , I'm thinking of buying a pair of RM Stockman boots in chestnut but can't decide on the leather, either the standard yearling or kangaroo leather , does anybody have the kangaroo leather stockmans and possibly a picture of them ?
confused.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so after about 1 year of owning my CC's, I can't say I'm completely in love with the oil resistant sole, b/c it's not as good in winter conditions as I would have hoped...it's pretty slippery when it's wet out/on ice.

has anybody had their RM's resoled with Dainite or commando soles from us cobblers?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
Does the RMW Leather Conditioner provide any degree of waterproofing?

I ordered a big tub of RMW's conditioner a while back and use it on my yearling craftsman boots a few times/year (probably quarterly if I had to guess).

However, while applying a coat of the conditioner to a pair of Blundstone 500's this week and to the leather on an old Filson briefcase, I happened to read that it contains beeswax. IIRC, products like sno-seal derive their water resistance from beeswax (don't they?).

My RMW boots don't see a lot of wet weather use but my Blundstones OTOH are my go-to winter casual boot. Just wondering if the conditioning regimen is also helping out with water resistance as well. I've never used any other water proofing on the Blundstones and wonder if the RMW conditioner is all I'll need for the winter seasaon.

For reference, here's my craftsmen with just conditioner applied.

DSC_6931.jpg

Black shoe on the left just had a topy style vibram half sole installed. Chestnut on right looks virtually the same with no rubber sole installed.

DSC_6940.jpg

But RMW leather conditioner contains neatsfoot oil ....a real no no.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by richardwallace
take a look at the vesta leather. i think the yearling leather (standard on turnout) is too dressy for casual and greasy kip leather (standard on gardener/yard) is too utilitarian looking. vesta is water resistant.

i'd recommend:

comfort turnout in brown vesta (you can also get black vesta)

or gardener/yard boot in vesta, but only if you need the extra grip. if you got this MTO, you could probably get the standard gardener/yard boot sole with a leather heel. it would look a lot better than the standard rubber heel.

I'm considering the Yard Boot, and the above response (and the question it's responding too) happen to be completely relevant to my situation (want the round toe, find yearling too dressy, want a versatile sole with some traction but dislike the rubber heel).

So, I'm looking to order the Yard Boot in brown Vesta with the stock sole and a leather heel. Since I'm going MTO for this anyway, should I go ahead and get the boots lined? It's not hot where I live so that's not an issue. And I've heard that it's easier to get into and out of the leather lined Williams boots than the unlined ones. Thoughts? No experience myself with the unlined Williams boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads