• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
oh another thing about Mozza, got their meatball plate appetizer, it's good, but for $12 you only get 3 meatballs and 2 pieces of generic garlic bread which I was really disappointed with. Meatballs are good but at Bottega you get meatballs that are just as good, maybe better sauce, and the side plate costs $8 and you get like 6 meatballs. Just an illustration of how I see Mozza as being overhyped, because the food is good and all, but I think you can do better without going very far distance.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is somewhat disappointing to here about Mozza, was kind of looking forward to it. I'll check it out eventually but it might have to take a bump down the list. I guess I'll see where it takes me this weekend and go from there. I've just been crazing pizza, haven't had a slice in a while.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
I know this might not be "LA proper" as some people see it, but any information about this area would be HUGELY helpful. Places to eat, good bars, things to do at night, best beaches, shopping... really anything. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
I recommend Texas Loosey's for MNF. It's a local tradition.

There are good spots to eat around PCH/PV, like along Catalina where the Redondo Brew Co is. You can take your chances around Hermosa, especially around the pier, but it's an entirely different scene and a bit of a meat market. Rock n' Fish in MB is pretty decent. I've always loved going to Sloopy's for breakfast.

MB is probably the "best" beach in the area in terms of activity but you can find it quieter as you head south. Palos Verdes/South Bay is a second home so hit PG2G or me and we can tailor something.
Originally Posted by eglbc
Anyone got a good cheap spot by Troubadour? Burgers?
If there is, I haven't found it. That area's pretty dead food-wise and location-wise unless you want to take a hike east along Santa Monica. It's best to grab a bite at some place good (Golden State) before hitting the show.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
That is somewhat disappointing to here about Mozza, was kind of looking forward to it. I'll check it out eventually but it might have to take a bump down the list. I guess I'll see where it takes me this weekend and go from there. I've just been crazing pizza, haven't had a slice in a while.

if yer around Melrose might as well check it out and see for yourself. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but you might be.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it always crowded or it is pretty easy to do walk-ins?
I was poised to go to Mozza last weekend since I was at LACMA with some friends but ended up at Hide Sushi instead.
If I am in the area, I'll check it out if no reservations are needed.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I recommend Texas Loosey's for MNF. It's a local tradition.

There are good spots to eat around PCH/PV, like along Catalina where the Redondo Brew Co is. You can take your chances around Hermosa, especially around the pier, but it's an entirely different scene and a bit of a meat market. Rock n' Fish in MB is pretty decent. I've always loved going to Sloopy's for breakfast.

MB is probably the "best" beach in the area in terms of activity but you can find it quieter as you head south. Palos Verdes/South Bay is a second home so hit PG2G or me and we can tailor something.

This is great information. I'll be living right by Redondo Beach Brew Co. for reference. Thanks, Who.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Since you're on that side of the beach, you can run into PV but there really isn't much to see. I do suggest the Red Onion for Mexican, though. Surprisingly decent food considering the rather pale clientele.

I have a bunch of friends living blocks from the Brew Co. It's great to have a TJ's within walking distance.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I was poised to go to Mozza last weekend since I was at LACMA with some friends but ended up at Hide Sushi instead.

On second thought you know what it's terrible avoid avoid avoid. Way too crowded and hyped plus expensive just like baller sneakers. You can get the same stuff for cheaper elsewhere.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

you dont need reservations if you want to wait with the other tourists but it will be a long wait if you go during peak hours. if you go mid day like 4pm you should be able to get in quickly.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you just want to try Mozza, you can always get it at Mozza2go and eat in your car or whatever.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Doc,
Hit up hermosa mexican cuisine if you're ever in hermosa beach. hole in the wall, but i had a very tasty wet burrito there a while back.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shellshock
Doc,
Hit up hermosa mexican cuisine if you're ever in hermosa beach. hole in the wall, but i had a very tasty wet burrito there a while back.

Thanks Shellshock. I'm making a note of all of these recommendations. It's all very helpful.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
On second thought you know what it's terrible avoid avoid avoid. Way too crowded and hyped plus expensive just like baller sneakers. You can get the same stuff for cheaper elsewhere.

Chill man.
lol8[1].gif
You get heated too easily.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Just lookin out for you bro I think you're misinterpreting my response *leans back with cigar*.

While there are good recs in this thread I think it's important to remember there are crap ones as well as well as who the information is coming from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads