• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crafty35a
I just received my Essential Charcoal suit today, along with two shirts. Overall, I have to say I'm very pleased with the fit and quality. The shirts are nearly perfect, and the suit seems to fit quite well also, but I'm no expert, so I thought I would post some pictures here in hopes of getting some advice on possible things to have altered.

My only complaint, quality wise, is the buttons used on the suit. They are plain plastic buttons that look horribly cheap, and some of them came with large scratches/scuff marks (which are very visible white marks on the black plastic). I'll have to ask my tailor to replace them with something a little nicer when I bring it in for alteration.

Sorry for the rather lousy pictures/lighting. My girlfriend was in a bit of a rush and I wasn't able to have her retake the shots that didn't come out well.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Definitely not the worst I have seen. Jacket actually looks decent. Shoulders aren't bad and they didnt grossly short you on length like they have others. Hard to tell in pictures but something is off with the pants. Are they too long?

Mine arrives tomorrow. I am hoping for what you got (close enough that it only needs some minor alterations or pants alterations).

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linsook
just to note, for this suit, i asked to have the lapel gorge higher

Would explain the high gorge.

crafty35a

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DStew
Shoulders aren't bad and they didnt grossly short you on length like they have others. Hard to tell in pictures but something is off with the pants. Are they too long?

I was in a rush when I made my initial post, and forgot to mention a few things. Yes, the pants are definitely a bit long. I think they fit well other than that. Also, I went with the standard Indochino shoulders (not natural), and I think this may have been a mistake. I think they look good in the pictures that I posted, but when I raise my arms the padding tends to make the shoulder area bunch up slightly. It's not completely awful, but it's making me think that maybe I should have gone with the natural shoulders option. I think it also may have helped if I had asked for a 0.25" or 0.5" smaller shoulder width on the jacket. I went with a 0.25" longer measurement with the jacket than what I put for the shirts, and that may have been a mistake.

Originally Posted by MrInvariant
It seems that the sleeves need to be rotated slightly backward.

Could you expand on this? I'm not familiar with this alteration or what it will accomplish. It also sounds like an expensive fix.

MrInvariant

Reaction score
Could you expand on this? I'm not familiar with this alteration or what it will accomplish. It also sounds like an expensive fix.

Well, I'm no expert, but it seems that the angle of the sleeves does not match the natural angle of your arms, therefore there is diagonal rippling in the upper arms/near the sleeve heads. This can be seen especially in photos #3 and #6. You'll notice that if you move your arms slightly forward, these will disappear. This implies that the sleeve is currently pointing too forward, and needs to be rotated backward to match your natural arm position. Does that sound reasonable?

I think it is a fairly easy alternation and should not be too expensive.

crafty35a

Reaction score
I understand now -- and you're right, at least based on the pictures. It may also be that I wasn't quite standing naturally in the pictures. I will have to check that out later.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not that easy. Setting the sleeves is more or less the single hardest thing about making a jacket, so removing them and resetting them at a different angle, although simple in principle, is not an operation that you want to trust to just any alterations person.

DStew

Reaction score
I was in a rush when I made my initial post, and forgot to mention a few things. Yes, the pants are definitely a bit long. I think they fit well other than that. Also, I went with the standard Indochino shoulders (not natural), and I think this may have been a mistake. I think they look good in the pictures that I posted, but when I raise my arms the padding tends to make the shoulder area bunch up slightly. It's not completely awful, but it's making me think that maybe I should have gone with the natural shoulders option. I think it also may have helped if I had asked for a 0.25" or 0.5" smaller shoulder width on the jacket. I went with a 0.25" longer measurement with the jacket than what I put for the shirts, and that may have been a mistake. Could you expand on this? I'm not familiar with this alteration or what it will accomplish. It also sounds like an expensive fix.
I went natural shoulders and will post something when I get it. Hopefully you can get it tailored within the 75$ maximum and don't have to redo it. How are the shirts?

crafty35a

Reaction score
I went natural shoulders and will post something when I get it. Hopefully you can get it tailored within the 75$ minimum and don't have to redo it. How are the shirts?

Great, I look forward to hearing what you think of the natural shoulders. I think the shirts are great. The fit is excellent, and I really like the fabric on the blue herringbone. The white oxford is nice enough as well, though quite thin (as described on the product page). Would I pay $99 for them? Probably not, but I got two for free with my suit, and they're spectacular shirts as a throw-in. My only disappointment is that they are not darted in the back, even though the shirts that the models are wearing are clearly darted.

DStew

Reaction score
Great, I look forward to hearing what you think of the natural shoulders. I think the shirts are great. The fit is excellent, and I really like the fabric on the blue herringbone. The white oxford is nice enough as well, though quite thin (as described on the product page). Would I pay $99 for them? Probably not, but I got two for free with my suit, and they're spectacular shirts as a throw-in. My only disappointment is that they are not darted in the back, even though the shirts that the models are wearing are clearly darted.

I went with the natural shoulders but cant see much difference picture to picture. I am 6'2 and 188lbs. All in all its not bad. I do feel the shoulders are a little strange but I cant put my finger on what it is exactly. I wonder if it just needs to hang for a while. I intend to have my tailor look at it tomorrow. Probably lengthen the sleeves a little.

The shirts are actually decent. I wouldnt pay 99$ for them but indochino did a better job creating a shirt from my body measurements than several of the online shirt makers I have tried. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said they are a good throw in.

My pictures are crap. Sorry in advance. Just a cell phone and too many little kids running around to take good pictures or poses.

brianvtusa

Reaction score
Here's a remake of the Gray 3-Piece (minus the vest in this pic) that I just got yesterday. The picture was right out of the box, so the sleeves still have weird folds in them. There might be a few aspects I will tweak later, but for now I am really happy with it. I am going to wear it for a while before considering any tailoring. The drape is really nice and every measurement that I wanted to stay the same from the original stayed the same and all the changes appear to have been made accurately. I look forward to getting it back from the cleaners after it is pressed.
Attachment 53090

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat looks a little short, but otherwise the suit will probably look good after a good press.

On a side note, what is up with all these colored lapel buttonholes? I feel like this takes away heavily from an otherwise classic/traditional looking suit.

MrInvariant

Reaction score
You might wanna consider adjusting the pants measurements next time. Either that or remove the banana from your pocket.
laugh.gif

linsook

Reaction score
I went with the natural shoulders but cant see much difference picture to picture. I am 6'2 and 188lbs. All in all its not bad. I do feel the shoulders are a little strange but I cant put my finger on what it is exactly. I wonder if it just needs to hang for a while. I intend to have my tailor look at it tomorrow. Probably lengthen the sleeves a little. The shirts are actually decent. I wouldnt pay 99$ for them but indochino did a better job creating a shirt from my body measurements than several of the online shirt makers I have tried. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said they are a good throw in. My pictures are crap. Sorry in advance. Just a cell phone and too many little kids running around to take good pictures or poses.
looks big in the chest, waist, arms and a tad in the shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads