• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General info about flannel trousers

blacklabel

Reaction score
I've never bought flannel pants before, but I tried some on last week and I really like the feel. Some general noob questions about flannel: How formal/informal are they? Are they just something you wear around the house like pajamas? What kind of shirts/shoes do you wear with it? How cold does it need to be before you wear them? What's the most versatile color? What are some good slim-fitting brands? I really liked the fit of the RLBL James Wool http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family, but are they worth the price? How about these BR flannels in black? http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...ored%2Bflannel thankss

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flannel trousers are very versatile and can be dressed up or down. A pair of grey flannels is pretty essential. Ideal for fall and winter.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blacklabel

How formal/informal are they? Are they just something you wear around the house like pajamas?
Grey flannel trousers are inappropriate for formal gatherings. But if your sense of formal is dinner with pals or holiday events over an acquiantace/friends/or family, they are acceptable.
When you asked about pajamas, you might be innocently confusing wool flannel with cotton flannel. All of my comments deal with legit wool flannels, but the cotton flannel stuff used for shirts or pajamas.
Most of the RTW wool flannels or of a woollen (not worsted) flannel.

What kind of shirts/shoes do you wear with it?
With grey flannels, all sorts of shades of solid blues work very well, not to mention the plethora of cotton flannels shirts with windowpanes and tartan patterns

How cold does it need to be before you wear them?
I have summer weight light grey flannels at 11.5oz...when it was not humid, I could wear them when the weather hit up to 90 degrees...in Miami.
Middle weight stuff in the range of 12-18oz can be worn from fall to late spring.
Heavier stuff 19-24oz is winter weight stuff.
Most RTW stuff is in the 9-11oz range, thus its more of a summer weight cloth. Although I've seen plenty of Italian cloth merchants market "Winter weight flannels" at 10oz range.
Some of the English online stores have it in the 12-15oz range, but do not lower themselves to making "slim fitting".

What's the most versatile color?
GREY/DARK GREY

What are some good slim-fitting brands?
I FIND SLIM FITTING ONES TO BE AN ABOMINATION...I recommend you bespeak a pair and have the tailor "slim" it to your comfort level. Since you are willing to pay $400 for a RL version, a number of tailor's can do it within this price range.
The BR stuff looks too dull. There is nothing worse than combining flat fronts with a slim fitting look, especially on something as elegant as grey flannel.

Good luck on your hunt for grey woollen flannels.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by giraffe lookout
Any suggestions in the ~$100 dollar price range? It's getting colder in d.c. and my lower body noticed today.

There's flannel and then there's flannel... for $100 new, you're not going to be getting a "superior" quality flannel trouser. I'm currently in the hunt for a pair as well... Edmorel's (member here) Panta brand and Chorse's (Howard Yount, a sponsor here up in the banner above) are quite probably two of the best values (in full disclosure, I've not yet had my hands on either product but I'll stand by the opinions expressed here by others and also by my sales experience with other Yount products). Yount's start aroudn $150: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
There's flannel and then there's flannel... for $100 new, you're not going to be getting a "superior" quality flannel trouser. I'm currently in the hunt for a pair as well... Edmorel's (member here) Panta brand and Chorse's (Howard Yount, a sponsor here up in the banner above) are quite probably two of the best values (in full disclosure, I've not yet had my hands on either product but I'll stand by the opinions expressed here by others and also by my sales experience with other Yount products). Yount's start aroudn $150: http://www.howardyount.com/collections/wool-pants

Cool. Thanks.

bugatti.veyron

Reaction score
I'm sure the Ralph Lauren pants are great but at $395 they are, in my opinion, overpriced.

I'm sure he means with the current 30+15% sale, in which case it might not be a bad deal

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo Preston flannel pants are possibly the best flannel pants I've ever owned. All too tempted to wear them without underwear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads