• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
the tree piece? i have read from the fit issues from both styles of vass trees. dunno, why this is the case. i'm happy with my lasted trees from the producer. personally i don't like the sl, but this is just a preference...

exactly. vash has a very high beauty ratio...

well to be frank, i would prefer trees done suck as my G&G BS ones that are hinged, thro i do like the 3pc ones and have a set of vass ones plus my paps ones too (G&G ones are pending). but in any case the best ones from vass are the sl's

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
well to be frank, i would prefer trees done suck as my G&G BS ones that are hinged, thro i do like the 3pc ones and have a set of vass ones plus my paps ones too (G&G ones are pending). but in any case the best ones from vass are the sl's

that's really a pity and hard to understand. anyway.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Vass trees. They fill every nook and cranny of the shoe which is exactly what you want. Minor tree aethetics after that are nominal IMO.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
Vass spring tree is much longer than 3 piece tree.
Spring tree is must for shell cordovan shoes.
3 piece Vass tree not fill out lenth of shoe like spring tree.
Pity vass not have half sizes in trees.

Oops, my 3 pcs Vass trees are in half size, or it marked so. Although they send me a pair of U lasted trees for my F lasted shoes, but I like it and don't found any wrong doing to my shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No.
Spring tree is longer so it fill out shoe better.
lt the way it is with vass.

as i said, it's a pity. nvm.

shell cordovan shoe wrinkle more than calf.
Need stiff tree to stretch out shoe for shell,
vass spring tree best for this.
You case is different.
Vass tree not best.
3 piece good for calf.
Spring tree best for shell.

why is my case different?

a three piece is stiffer than the sl, no question. sorry, i don't buy into your argument. sl is good for travel trees made of balsa or other lightweight wood. that's all. mr. materna approved to this
wink.gif

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a three piece is stiffer than the sl, no question. sorry, i don't buy into your argument. sl is good for travel trees made of balsa or other lightweight wood. that's all. mr. materna approved to this
wink.gif

Me understand what you say.
With vass tree it different from proper bespoke maker.
With vass the spring tree stiffer and better.
With Materna it different,
he do proper fit 3 piece tree that much much better than any vass tree ever.
Me not say spring tree is better in general.
Me say spring tree is better with vass.
Vass tree with spring far from perfect (even on full size),
it not fill out shoe good,
but it better than 3 piece from vass.

why is my case different?
You do custom,
it should be better.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You do custom,
it should be better.

hmmh, but it's from the same producer and made from the same material.

probably there's a bit spread of standards for the basic models...?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's it. Time to get this thread back on track. Here's an abslotely terrible cell phone pic of the U-cap Bordeaux shell cordrovan on U last.

The carpet here in my office is actually gray. Why it came out a bright gold/yellow I have no idea.

Vass_bordeaux.jpg

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmh, but it's from the same producer and made from the same material.

probably there's a bit spread of standards for the basic models...?

No glove fit.
Much room in half size vass.
ie, 45.5 size shoe use 45 tree.
Still room in full size vass.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know that Vass was shipping shoes with spring-loaded trees now. I always get hinged trees for the shoes and 3-piece trees for the boots (easier to get in than hinged or s-l).

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I didn't even know that Vass was shipping shoes with spring-loaded trees now. I always get hinged trees for the shoes and 3-piece trees for the boots (easier to get in than hinged or s-l).

can you please post a picture?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait - I think I got the terminology wrong here... The trees are probably spring actually.... I had in mind that spring-loaded had the metal tube and you had to push the spring in to fit it in the shoes. But now that I think of it, the Vass trees I get probably do have a spring in there, although the hinging piece is wood. Sorry if that was confusing...
confused.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Wait - I think I got the terminology wrong here... The trees are probably spring actually.... I had in mind that spring-loaded had the metal tube and you had to push the spring in to fit it in the shoes. But now that I think of it, the Vass trees I get probably do have a spring in there, although the hinging piece is wood. Sorry if that was confusing...
confused.gif

no not confusing, just surprising
laugh.gif

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
That's it. Time to get this thread back on track. Here's an abslotely terrible cell phone pic of the U-cap Bordeaux shell cordrovan on U last.

The carpet here in my office is actually gray. Why it came out a bright gold/yellow I have no idea.

Vass_bordeaux.jpg

Very nice.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot

Vass_bordeaux.jpg

cell phone + office lighting!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads