• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you rotated seasonal clothing yet

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is cold this morning IN NYC.
Time to pull out a flannel suit. and where is that midweight winter coat?
do I pull out the wool socks and put the lightweight cotton ones away?

linen suits and shirts are in the second closet, but lightweight suits are still in place hoping for more 60 degree weather.

how many of you switch your wardrobe in your closets.

Carl

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Together with the winter wheels on my car I changed to winter clothing
smile.gif

However, it will get a whole lot colder here, so I got some winter 'jokers' left...

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in England and I'm still on the lighter tweeds. Or a heavy one but without an overcoat/trenchcoat.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep one light grey suit for those random days in the city where it hits 70 degrees in the middle of winter. Other than that, I switched out my wardrobe a couple weeks ago, as my summer items are too summery to hang on much passed the middle of September. The wool ties are getting their first wear of the season today...

My coat will not make an appearance until at least December. I really do despise a winter jacket on the subway...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped all of my cotton and linen stuff off at the dry cleaners this weekend so that I can bag them up and put them away till next year.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've swapped out the clothes, but I'm loath to unpack the hats gloves and scarves yet. If I start wearing those with lows in the mid 30's, I'll be screwed when it really gets cold.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did this a couple weeks ago. Thankfully, I don't have a very extensive wardrobe, but madras shirts and polos were packed away and the sweaters were brought down from the attic. Winter jackets were also pulled out of storage.

Montauk

Reaction score
I do a staged rotation.

Light colored cottons and linens get put away first, usually at the end of September. I just put away the darker linens, linen/wool blends, and wool/mohair blends. At this point the tweeds and flannels are out in full fuzzy glory.

Doing this has really forced me to confront what an unseemly amount of tailored clothing I own. The challenge increasingly seems to be trying to wear everything at least a couple times in order to justify keeping it another year.

I think this is what they're warning about with that old "don't let your possessions own you" chestnut. And don't get me started on shoes.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
. and where is that midweight winter coat?

Trench coat came out a few weeks back but it's still too warm for a midweight coat.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have enough clothing to warrant teh swap. They just stay in their respective places and don't get worn 'till it's time.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rotated the closets a while ago. Of course, much of the stuff I have waiting for winter will be too heavy for what is slated to be a warm New Orleans winter, but I am not concerning myself with that.

Mike

ajv

Reaction score
I've done some rotation already, but still keep some lighter stuff at hand in case we have some warming before it really becomes cold.

Adrian

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I've put away the linens, and will have my summer suits dry-cleaned before storing them.
Summer shoes (spectators and anything lighter than chestnut) have been stashed after a good polishing, and I'm wearing black shoes about 30% of the time now. My straw panama is also being put away.

I've pulled out the covert coat for the daily commute, and my black homburg is seeing some action again. No scarves yet, but today was cold enough to require gloves.

I can't bring myself to put away the brighter ties yet - the sky is often grey, and I need colour.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did this a few weeks ago when the weather started to turn. Though today was uncommonly mild. With the variable English climate, there's usually there's a need for occasional "bridging" items in autumn, and again in spring, so it helps not to move off-season items anywhere too inaccessible. So I use the wardrobe in the spare room for off-season stuff rather than packing them away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads