• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamma1234
Help pick my third AE Shoe or flame me for wanting another AE
devil.gif
- these shoes are primarily for wearing to work at a law firm. I typically wear suits or a nice version of "business casual."

First: Black Park Ave.
Second: Walnut Strand
Third: ???

Brown calf MacNeil.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
As someone who lives in the tropics but is soon moving to a colder land... 1) What winter-suitable shoes go with suits and nice jeans? 2) What's the most versatile outer coat/great coat color? Cheers
Colder as in UK colder (i.e not often below 0C) or as in Montreal colder (often below -15C)? If UK, then any leather shoe, with wool socks, will be fine. If Montreal, then you'd need insulated boots. Most versatile color is charcoal grey followed by navy. Black/Khaki shows stains easily. If you're moving to a place like Montreal, then you'll need a down coat. Accept no less.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
devil.gif
- these shoes are primarily for wearing to work at a law firm. I typically wear suits or a nice version of "business casual."

Brown Fifth Ave

gamma1234

Reaction score
devil.gif
- these shoes are primarily for wearing to work at a law firm. I typically wear suits or a nice version of "business casual." First: Black Park Ave. Second: Walnut Strand Third: ???

1 vote for Brown MacNeil, 1 vote for Brown Fifth Ave. Thanks for the suggestions.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in between getting the J Crew chambray shirt and the Buzz Rickson. Does anyone have a recommendation for either? Which is slimmer? How does the material on each compare to the other? J Crew
erezy.jpg
Buzz Rickson
IMG_0781-1.jpg

Archivist

Reaction score
devil.gif

1 vote for Brown MacNeil, 1 vote for Brown Fifth Ave. Thanks for the suggestions.

What about the Merlot McAllister? Or try an Alden wingtip Bal, the 903 in Black Calf. Or a Brooks Peal Wingtip Bal. or perf. captoe?

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a suitcoat on Ebay that is a tagged 38 but has a 18" pit to pit. Is it possible that someone with an actual 38" chest can fit into it? Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, I know it sounds ridiculous but this doesn't make any sense why it would be labeled a 38. Btw, I'm a 36 actual chest and my only blazer (don't own any suiting yet) measures 39" and fits slim (adding further confusion that someone might be able to help sort it out). Thanks

edit: this seems like something that might have whole threads explaining it but what do I search for?

gamma1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
What about the Merlot McAllister? Or try an Alden wingtip Bal, the 903 in Black Calf. Or a Brooks Peal Wingtip Bal. or perf. captoe?

The merlot McAllister was one that crossed my mind. I only wish it came in a dark brown rather than merlot. I'll take a look at the Alden wingtip bal - I just hope its one of the sale shoes!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

eMacPaul

Reaction score
The merlot McAllister was one that crossed my mind. I only wish it came in a dark brown rather than merlot. I'll take a look at the Alden wingtip bal - I just hope its one of the sale shoes!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

You've already got the black and brown, I think a burgundy is a good choice for a third shoe. I have PA in Merlot, I think the color is great.

Willskii

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new suit, I have 3 black suits all being slim fit and I am looking to buy a charcoal/grey suit from
HTML Code:

The only problem with this suit is that its 100% cotton. When I was buying my first suit I was told to always go for 100% wool. The material of the suit isn't as nice as my current suits I think because its cotton so I don't know what to do.

Can someone shed more light on cotton suits.

OTM

Reaction score
^^

I agree, only got to it after I made my intital bid.

I was going to ask him if the reason for the low price was some kind of mistake with the garment (like a missing buttonhole), but in the end I was too scared to!

The question still stands, is that look common for a DB?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willskii
I'm looking at buying a new suit, I have 3 black suits all being slim fit and I am looking to buy a charcoal/grey suit from
HTML Code:

The only problem with this suit is that its 100% cotton. When I was buying my first suit I was told to always go for 100% wool. The material of the suit isn't as nice as my current suits I think because its cotton so I don't know what to do.

Can someone shed more light on cotton suits.

Cotton vs wool is not so much a matter of quality as of two very different things. You can have a high quality cotton suit or a very poor quality. The same with wool.

Wool is much more popular - it will wear longer, it (generally) will not wrinkle near as much as cotton, and looks much dressier and "nicer."

My understanding is that cotton is usually used for summer suits in warmer climates, and is generally considered less formal.

I would suggest looking for a charcoal/gray suit in wool. Later on you may want a cotton suit, but fill out your wardrobe with the basics in wool first.

EZ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads