• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
I recommended Hammersley's Bistro to Mina & Dino. Please recommend a few others, especially for fresh seafood. I've also encouraged them to take some time to enjoy their first visit to the city, so anything you could advise them would be great. I'm not sure how the experience will compare to Steed, but I think you'll be pleased nonetheless.

Just opened: Island Creek Oyster Bar.. Great place run by a strong team.

Originally Posted by George
Eh...!!

Originally Posted by aportnoy
I was shocked as well. I figured he was in for at least a dozen.

We'll see how it goes. I'm optimistic. I got Ed Morel celebrity scheduling, like buying the empty seat next to you on a plane to ensure zero chance that two annoying people are seated together.

- B

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

We'll see how it goes. I'm optimistic. I got Ed Morel celebrity scheduling, like buying the empty seat next to you on a plane to ensure zero chance that two annoying people are seated together.

- B

I'm just jealous...but have taken a vow of fidelity with my current tailor.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Just opened: Island Creek Oyster Bar.. Great place run by a strong team. We'll see how it goes. I'm optimistic. I got Ed Morel celebrity scheduling, like buying the empty seat next to you on a plane to ensure zero chance that two annoying people are seated together. - B
Take a look at the plaid sports coat, left under arm dart (the coats right).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
1) The vest looks pretty good. I feel bad about all the mean things I have said about Italian vests. They do cut them with a much lower V than is typical on SR, however.

2) Why do they pin SB coats with two inches of overlap?
confused.gif

It doesn't matter. They mark the lap and trim off extra cloth to have the amount of lap they want. That is what you do at the fitting stage.

If you are referring to the pattern not matching it is normal not to match. There is a horizontal cut under the pocket that requires the horizontal pattern to run like this. Better to have the cut than pattern matching. Fitting can be done without the cut but you have to rebalance the jacket, shorter back, this guy has big blades and that would not be optimal. You can see the back on the grey jacket, there is pulling from the waist diagonally up to the blades.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

If you are referring to the pattern not matching it is normal not to match. There is a horizontal cut under the pocket that requires the horizontal pattern to run like this. Better to have the cut than pattern matching. Fitting can be done without the cut but you have to rebalance the jacket, shorter back, this guy has big blades and that would not be optimal. You can see the back on the grey jacket, there is pulling from the waist diagonally up to the blades.

Mine have that same dart/cut. I have huge blades.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ On a typical Naples pattern draft, the underarm dart is cut at a pretty sharp angle. It begins back under the scye and comes forward to meet the pocket at about a 15-20 degree angle. I think that throws off the pattern.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

I noticed that right off the bat. I'm taking in thee textured solids, and since I'm experimenting with NSM as the successor to my sunny-months Neapolitan RTW, I see solids rather than strong patterns in the future.

So, thankfully, I can ignore this.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. They mark the lap and trim off extra cloth to have the amount of lap they want. That is what you do at the fitting stage. If you are referring to the pattern not matching it is normal not to match. There is a horizontal cut under the pocket that requires the horizontal pattern to run like this. Better to have the cut than pattern matching. Fitting can be done without the cut but you have to rebalance the jacket, shorter back, this guy has big blades and that would not be optimal. You can see the back on the grey jacket, there is pulling from the waist diagonally up to the blades.
I'm referring to Vox's penchant for pattern matching. I've no doubt that the tailor who is executing that coat knows what he's doing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Jeffryd's pic:

2865754972255768407a.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great post - thanks medtech. I'll be meeting Mina in NY this coming Friday.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ On a typical Naples pattern draft, the underarm dart is cut at a pretty sharp angle. It begins back under the scye and comes forward to meet the pocket at about a 15-20 degree angle. I think that throws off the pattern.

No, there is a horizontal cut taken on the pocket seam that results in the pattern taking that downward dip. Since this has patch pockets, the cut is done a couple inches below the top of the pocket and covered with lining to conceal the cut.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeffryd's pic:
2865754972255768407a.jpg

I have a coat cut like that, English tailor from the early 90's I've got a picture of it but can't downsize the basterd. Is the black horizontal mark below the stamp a marking for a cut/dart?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can see the back on the grey jacket, there is pulling from the waist diagonally up to the blades.

eh.gif
plain.gif
frown.gif

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads