• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Go, Hyden Yoo! Azn pride, represent.
Ha, I knew you'd know to what I was referring.
I was really looking forward to FW10 as well. Dudes didn't even email me back re. the sample liquidation. Meh... Is he doing okay? Tell him to get in touch with me if he is hanging around. I see his updates om Facebook occasionally, and it's like the brand never happened. Sorta wierd.
He's still around, he's just doing odd projects like directing videos and such. I still bump into him at the same parties, etc. I doubt it'll come back again but I wouldn't be surprised if something else came along.
Originally Posted by zissou
It seems like the stocklists have exploded this year, which is probably why more people are talking about it. Maybe people are buying it given the retail climate because it's great stuff? That said, I'm sure a LOT of it will be heavily discounted come late Nov.
You think people are buying it? I think people are carrying it and that last sentence sums up my point.
Universal Works? 8:15 (August 15?) Interestingly, I've seen a lot of those brands turn up in boutiques in the last couple of seasons.
Universal Works. There's a brand, given the price range, that should be popping up the way Our Legacy has.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ (previous post)

All valid points. That's why I enjoy reading posts from Drew and others on what goes on during the manufacturing process of clothing.

My Halloween hangover read that phrase "Russel Crowe working for Big Tabacco" as him working for Big Tabasco and I was quite confused for a few seconds.

dls6128

Reaction score
Well, can you go into any more detail about the business model? It certainly isn't obvious how Crate stays in business, so that sort of piques my interest...

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
You think people are buying it? I think people are carrying it and that last sentence sums up my point.
Some
people are buying it, but, yeah, there's a ton of it sitting on racks from what I can tell. I think a lot of retailers blew their wad on it this season.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dls6128
Well, can you go into any more detail about the business model? It certainly isn't obvious how Crate stays in business, so that sort of piques my interest...
Reread my posts. I explained it multiple times.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I don't get it either. I suspect, though I can't confirm, dude is a trust fund kid who does it for fun and not money. Otherwise, yeah, it boggles the mind.

This is kzo.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of those brands really are trust fund projects. Including Odyn Vovk which I think is criminally underrated.

However aside from Odyn I have nothing good to say about any of the other ones....including some that have been pretty hyped on SF.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I think that there have been threads about Albam and Nigel Cabourn (of whom I am a big fan,) and a lot of people have mentioned Margaret Howell as well. St. James I don't really hear much about, but I do like the stuff (they sell it at one of the better spots in Vancouver.)

Very Anglocentric list you have there, though. You might add John Smedley and Kim Jones' Dunhill. Incidentally, all these "heritage" brands, and brands like Pringle, Engineered Garments, etc... are popular with football hooligans right now. Makes sense, I suppose.

Yep, I'd include oliver spencer in that too. In fact, there probably aren't any american brands worth a **** except kimmel and geller.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to buy any cabourn but the space cocoon was on another level.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hated all of the US stockists' Cabourn buys this season. Everyone ordered the same stuff and left out the basics.
Universal Works? 8:15 (August 15?) Interestingly, I've seen a lot of those brands turn up in boutiques in the last couple of seasons.
I just started keeping my eye on Universal Works now that Gary has it, and I just received a great heavy duty roll neck from a stockist in the UK. All of it as far as I know is made in the UK, and best yet, it's affordable.
Originally Posted by jet
Yep, I'd include oliver spencer in that too. In fact, there probably aren't any american brands worth a **** except kimmel and geller.
I don't think an Adam Kimmel piece can be appreciated until you actually have it in your hands, or at least that's how it was for me. Incredible fabrics and perfect finishing. I'm looking forward to seeing more Oliver Spencer, though I don't know much about the background of the line. Most of the shirts, jackets, and sweaters I have seen and tried on fit short, so that only leaves me with the trousers and accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads