• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a locksmith make a key for a briefcase/attache?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I have an attache with no key - it is locked. Are locksmiths able to make keys for a lock somehow, or am I stuck with a rather nice, albeit locked, attache?

BBC

Reaction score
Any decent locksmith (or you) can drill the lock to open the case. Once the case is open you can have a locksmith remove the old and install a new set of hardware (cost will obviously depend on what kind of hardware you want). It's a rather easy thing to have done.

hamish5178

Reaction score
What sort of key are we talking about here? I know on my guitar cases the locks are so simple anyone could pop it with a paperclip.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
yes a locksmith can make a key for it, they will be able to pick it to guage the height of the pins then make a key.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Nice to know I have some options. As for the case... well, there are no markings anywhere, but "Top Grain Cowhide" is stamped on the bottom. It appears fairly old, but seldom used, with pretty nice hardware.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Thanks guys. Nice to know I have some options. As for the case... well, there are no markings anywhere, but "Top Grain Cowhide" is stamped on the bottom. It appears fairly old, but seldom used, with pretty nice hardware.

Well, at least you know right from the beginning that it's not made out of deerhide.

Best of luck in picking the lock or in getting a new key made.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, every locksmith should know how to do it, no need to drill/broken the lock, especially for a attache. Even I know how to do it (my brother is a locksmith). Just a blank key and files is what you need. If no suitable blank, then it will take much more time to make one, but it still "do-able".

jamie_locksmiths

Reaction score
Locksmiths were created with the inception of the combination lock dating back to the 14th century. The initial purpose of locksmiths was to design security locks
to keep away unwanted intruders. In order to become a safe haven for precious documents and merchandise, locks are now perceived as a security measure more popular in the home and automobile key replacement.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamie_locksmiths
Locksmiths were created with the inception of the combination lock dating back to the 14th century. The initial purpose of locksmiths was to design security locks
to keep away unwanted intruders. In order to become a safe haven for precious documents and merchandise, locks are now perceived as a security measure more popular in the home and automobile key replacement.

Very helpful...

Joe Cool

Reaction score
How 'bout a pic of the bag Moo?

Jackie01

Reaction score
Of course they will do. Locksmith can do keys for all types of locks, they can open all types of locks and are also capable of opening any kind of security systems that matters, make sure that you choose a good and experienced locksmith and he should be skilled too because that is the most important thing for a locksmith.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamie_locksmiths

Originally Posted by Jackie01
Of course they will do. Locksmith can do keys for all types of locks, they can open all types of locks and are also capable of opening any kind of security systems that matters, make sure that you choose a good and experienced locksmith and he should be skilled too because that is the most important thing for a locksmith.

Would this qualify as the first thread to be twice necro-posted by spammers?
Two times in a month seems significant.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually don't mind the necrosis so much as the spam gets more and more informative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads