• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped into Brooks Bros today and saw a few items I'd really like. One was their Fitz cord blazer and another was their waxed cotton driving jacket. Both are $400 though.

How big is Brooks after Xmas sale, both in terms of discount and availability of things? Is the discount over 50%? Are most things discounted? There is a nylon traveller jacket right now for $138, and it's kind of like the waxed cotton driving jacket. I'm thinking about picking that up, but will wait till after Xmas if the sales tend to be big enough.

Any experience?

AE7

Reaction score
Does the hot air from the lower blowers in a car cabin damage shoes if its wet and cold outside?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar
Does the hot air from the lower blowers in a car cabin damage shoes if its wet and cold outside?

I wouldn't think so. Before the temperature any damage would occur, your feet would get hot and you would turn off the lower blowers.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I bought my first "nice" (MTM) sports coat and love it so much that I wear it almost every day to work. It's made of wool. How should I care for it?? Am I better off buying a second jacket so that I can alternate them?

Thanks
smile.gif

keredog

Reaction score
Need some recommendations for Leather shoe conditioners and protectors.

At this point, I only own Clarks and a leather wallet, so I don't need anything super fancy.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keredog
Need some recommendations for Leather shoe conditioners and protectors.

At this point, I only own Clarks and a leather wallet, so I don't need anything super fancy.

Allen Edmonds, Cleaner and Conditioner in one. Can be had for like 7 dollars I think.

keredog

Reaction score
That actually sounds pretty great, and I've heard people mention it before.

Would you happen to know the difference between that and Obenaufs?

RJE

Reaction score
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

What do we think of the front darts and pattern-matching around the pockets, esp. the ticket pocket? My feeling is, it looks messy, but I'd like to think otherwise. Not blaming the tailoring (Tom Ford - well, he does want some waist suppression), but the pattern.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
Generally;
If a chest measurement is 40" (taken right up the armpit), would (obviously with the shoulders fitting correctly) you able to get into a jacket that has a 40", 41" or 42" pit-to-pit measurement?
And can a waistcoat be used like a girdle/corset to suck in the gut?

if your actual chest is 40, then you probably fit into a 38-40 suit i believe. My chest is about 38 and I fit into a 36, so I think most suits are cut with a few extra inches in the circumference.

a waistcoat can help cover up some rolls and curves I would suppose. a well cut jacket will help. if you don't wear jackets too often, then adding a layer like a sweater or even a thick undershirt sometimes helps to smooth things out. Stick to darker colors since they blend with shaddows so it's harder to see the curves and lines.

Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Are these conservative for interview/work? Black: Check, Oxford: Check, The hole things..eh I dont know never owned one.

For sure fine. Those holes are called brogueing and and since they're on the cap on the toe that shoe would be a "punch-cap". They're nice! and definitely appropriate for any formal occasion.

Originally Posted by RJE
What do we think of the front darts and pattern-matching around the pockets, esp. the ticket pocket? My feeling is, it looks messy, but I'd like to think otherwise. Not blaming the tailoring (Tom Ford - well, he does want some waist suppression), but the pattern.

hmmm, I find those front darts a bit distracting since they pull the pattern off so much, and I can spot some pattern matching problems. TBH I think there's enough going on (DB, Glenplaid, peak lapels, etc) that nobody's going to even notice that, but yes, looking at it I do see all that. just my $0.02 for what it's worth.

Uffuffa

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to the Comrade footwear brand? Did they fold or are they trading under a new brand name? Their logo was "Strangers Without Friends", which was embossed on all their combat/military styled boots. I have a worn out black pair that I bought five years ago in the UK but would love to get a new pair. Here is a pair selling on eBay (absolutely nothing to do with me - just an image source to jog memories) - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMRADE-MENS-M...#ht_622wt_1139 And here is the webpage of the guy who designed their advertising campaign - http://www.mikebenson.net/advertising/comrade.php I can't find anything else on them anywhere... Can anyone help? Or, does anyone know of a footwear brand producing similar good quality and comfortable hobnail styled boots (without the real nails of course)?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZhiMingBuFanDe
To SF MC'ers:

Do anyone of you have a particular tailor to recommend to make some large alterations?

Ellie at Uni Tailors in Berkeley. Cash/check only. Amazing, amazing work.

dbc

Reaction score
As someone who lives in the tropics but is soon moving to a colder land...

1) What winter-suitable shoes go with suits and nice jeans?
2) What's the most versatile outer coat/great coat color?

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads