• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have the Kindle 3 yet?

retroaaron

Reaction score
I've had mine for about 2 weeks and have literally taken it with me everywhere. I love everything about it except for viewing PDF's. I have a ton of PDF files to read for school and was looking forward to seeing how the Kindle handled them and I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed. It's just not very convenient. Aside from that, I'd highly recommend it.

Anybody have suggestions on a nice cover? Preferably something leather.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retroaaron

Anybody have suggestions on a nice cover? Preferably something leather.

If you are willing to pay the price, the Cole Hann cover is very nice.

That said, for Kindle 3, I ended up buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather...63E6FEWVPQY8KY

The leather is ok, but I really enjoy it because the elastic band will bind the cover back, making it very convenient to hold. The inside of it is black felt, so that's what your fingers touch when you have the front cover bent over the back reading. It also feels very secure. The mechanism that binds the cover to Kindle is extremely solid.

Of course, just after I got that, they have the same thing, but with a built in light
ffffuuuu.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=1268192011

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have the Kindle 3 but do have the last gen one and I love it. I have the 3G version and only turn on the radio once in a while to get updates. I load all my books using Calibri. It is great at recognizing and converting books. What really sucks is some of the conversions are bad and they are really hard to read. For example, one bug occurs where there is no paragraph breaks so your mind doesn't know where thoughts end.

I did download a bunch of games recently and they are pretty cool. I would only do the following in an emergency: browse web pages and read PDF's (they don't scale.)

The Kindle 3 is supposed to be improved which makes me think it can only be more awesome. I never use the web browser.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still haven't ordered one yet. just lazy..kind of waiting to see what the android tablets are like.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
still haven't ordered one yet. just lazy..kind of waiting to see what the android tablets are like.

Yeah, at this point it's probably best to hold off. I still like my Kindle, but who knows what could come out just before the holiday season.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How happy are you guys with the pricing of books? The few I've looked at have been priced higher than what I'd expect. Also, seems to me that Amazon should make available for free (or deeply discounted) any book that you have purchased in non-ebook format from them in the past. I have a bunch of books laying around and I'd rather read them on the Kindle, but not crazy about rebuying a book I already own.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
How happy are you guys with the pricing of books? The few I've looked at have been priced higher than what I'd expect. Also, seems to me that Amazon should make available for free (or deeply discounted) any book that you have purchased in non-ebook format from them in the past. I have a bunch of books laying around and I'd rather read them on the Kindle, but not crazy about rebuying a book I already own.

I think thats a matter publishers would have to take up, not Amazon. More content should be viewed like this though. For games, if you buy a Valve game on PC, you can also get the Mac version, and it works retroactively, so you get it even if you got the PC when no Mac port was available.

I think some of the prices are high. But you can also find some great discounts if you put your ear to the ground. I got a few $1 sci fi books that have gotten great reviews that were deep discounted to a dollar before.

You can also pirate books very easily, get anything you want off Project Gutenberg, and find free books that pop up on Amazon every now and then. The most popular Kindle blog is one that alerts you to free books.

East2West

Reaction score
Ive had mine for a while now. Even if you've got an ipad, I would still recommend a Kindle if you do any amount of reading above scrolling RSS feed or perusing magazines.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump. just for the sake of discussion -- and in case anyone is on the fence -- i got my kindle 3 today and i'm in love.

i was wary of getting one of these readers because i am old school and i actually like to have...an actual book with pages. but i'm sold on this thing. it's so much easier to read with the kindle compared to a book -- who knew they could invent a device that beats simply turning a page.

but the thin-ness of the device combined with the fact that you can read with one hand really has me excited. i love mine.

Brian1976

Reaction score
I spent about 3 hours today researching the Kindle, Color Nook, and Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

I REALLY want the Galaxy, however I'm kind of hesitant about going with a first gen version, and I've read enough to make me think that I might be better off waiting and just getting the Kindle. Lots of my reading leads me to believe that the Android platform is not yet optimized for a tablet in terms of the resolution.

Thinking I'll probably go with the Kindle.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian1976
I spent about 3 hours today researching the Kindle, Color Nook, and Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

I REALLY want the Galaxy, however I'm kind of hesitant about going with a first gen version, and I've read enough to make me think that I might be better off waiting and just getting the Kindle. Lots of my reading leads me to believe that the Android platform is not yet optimized for a tablet in terms of the resolution.

Thinking I'll probably go with the Kindle.

you shouldn't read books on a device like the galaxy. it's going to aggravate your eyes and you won't be able to read for long periods of time.

i've had my kindle for like 3 days now. i read it every single day: at work, at school in between classes, and before i go to sleep. i used to make mental notes to read specific works or books but i never got around to buying the material and finding a moment to sit down and take it all in. the kindle allows me to do all of that on the go.

Brian1976

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
you shouldn't read books on a device like the galaxy. it's going to aggravate your eyes and you won't be able to read for long periods of time.

i've had my kindle for like 3 days now. i read it every single day: at work, at school in between classes, and before i go to sleep. i used to make mental notes to read specific works or books but i never got around to buying the material and finding a moment to sit down and take it all in. the kindle allows me to do all of that on the go.

I know I "shouldn't" however I've been using the Kindle app on my blackberry for a few weeks now, and the screen is not an issue, other than the small size. The majority of my reading wont be outside either, so I'm thinking the whole glare thing wouldnt be an issue.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian1976
I know I "shouldn't" however I've been using the Kindle app on my blackberry for a few weeks now, and the screen is not an issue, other than the small size. The majority of my reading wont be outside either, so I'm thinking the whole glare thing wouldnt be an issue.

The blackberry screen is tiny. How do you tolerate it?

Brian1976

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
The blackberry screen is tiny. How do you tolerate it?
You used the perfect word, I "tolerate" it because I knew it was just a matter of time before I bought a Kindle. Also, I have not been using it that long so its not that bad. I just wanted to get a general feel for the experience of buying, downloading, and reading for an extended period on something that wasnt a book. Since I already had my Blackberry I figured it would be a good test. If I liked the experience on a sub 3" screen, I figured that means I would really like it on a 6" screen. Actually heading out to Staples in about 5 minutes to buy it...kind of exciting.

iVoRy

Reaction score
Got mine today. the screeen is awesome. But I kind of annoyed by the black-ish screen when I change pages though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads