• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

intellx

Reaction score
Chips, with your 15inch MBP stuffed in there how many additional things do you think you could carry? I'm contemplating a 257, but am also considering a 258. Ideally, I'd love to be able to fit my 15" MBP and an overnight set of clothes if possible. Talking undershirt, shirt, pants, socks, etc. A toothbrush, contact case/glasses and all that would be nice as well. Think it's possible? Looking for a daily bag that can also double as an overnight bag if necessary.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intellx
Chips, with your 15inch MBP stuffed in there how many additional things do you think you could carry? I'm contemplating a 257, but am also considering a 258. Ideally, I'd love to be able to fit my 15" MBP and an overnight set of clothes if possible. Talking undershirt, shirt, pants, socks, etc. A toothbrush, contact case/glasses and all that would be nice as well. Think it's possible? Looking for a daily bag that can also double as an overnight bag if necessary.

You definitely need to go with 258 if you want to put clothing in there. It is not much more bigger,I've seen 258 and it is a good size. I can only put my laptop and one of my text books and a notebook inside the bag,anything more would probably not fit.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Forex on the 257. I haven't seen the 258 to speak from first hand experience, but if I wanted to pack my 257 with a laptop and overnight clothes, it would only work for a very tightly packed or rolled pair of jeans. A shirt would also fit, but it would be too snug to be a dress shirt that could lay folded without needing to be re-ironed. If I'm lugging around my laptop, I always have my memory card reader with me, for my point and shoot camera, so that, and the power cord for the MBP would also take up some precious real estate in the bag.

I think you could get away with a single pair of jeans, socks, drawers, and a T-shirt, along with toiletries just fine though. Thats leaving a Dopp kit behind though, and fitting the toothbrush and other junk in the side pockets.

As far as it not going with a suit, no big deal for me. I wear scrubs to work the majority of the time. It might look odd with a suit, but not so odd that I wouldn't carry it. I personally am not the kind of guy who has the career, nor need or interest in having multiple man bags.

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
You definitely need to go with 258 if you want to put clothing in there. It is not much more bigger,I've seen 258 and it is a good size. I can only put my laptop and one of my text books and a notebook inside the bag,anything more would probably not fit.

Agree. You are asking too much of a smaller bag.

Bob

bbhewee

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on the medium field bag in terms of practicality. I also fear it looks too much like a hunting bag (which I realize it is)...

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Filson 256 and would like to get the handgrip installed. Can I order the part from Filson and have a local leather/luggage guy install it or do I have to ship the bag back for a mfr install?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
What is everyone's opinion on the medium field bag in terms of practicality. I also fear it looks too much like a hunting bag (which I realize it is)...

what are you going to use it for?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
I have a Filson 256 and would like to get the handgrip installed. Can I order the part from Filson and have a local leather/luggage guy install it or do I have to ship the bag back for a mfr install?
No. You have to send it back to them and pay the $20 which includes return shipping. Its worth it. I ended up sending my 256 back to Filson. Its just too damn small. With a book, my writing pad, my planner, and my sunglass case the damn thing was practically full. When I would stuff things in the outer pockets it killed the slim-line look of the case. I think the 257 will be a better option. Now I'm hemming and hawing between the brown and the tan.

ap10046

Reaction score
I'm finding my 258 a bit small..
1) 13" MBP in a neoprene sleeve
2) A5 Filofax
3) Kindle 2
4) Small Pouch with a few meds, spare keys, etc
5) Small Pouch with chargers, cables, etc..and its stuffed!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry a 256 daily for work, which handles regular (2 round trip flights/month) business travel and general every day duty perfectly. I carry a 13" Dell laptop w/sleeve and a handful of documents & files. I try to pack very light but found that every once in a [great] while, I need a bit more room.

My 256 is about two yrs old so it's nicely broken in and I didn't want to start breaking in a brand new 257 so I ebay'd a nicely distressed one. It's not exactly right for business attire but will work well for the occasional flight and/or weekend jaunt when I need more space.

I'll add some pics of the 256 later but in the meantime, here's my new-to-me 257 which has clearly seen lots of use. I found receipts in it dated 05-06, mechanical pencil lead and a name tag of a PE, which I assume is Prof. Engineer. The receipts were for airport purchases in Anchorage and Sea-Tac.

It had an X'd out tag. Does that mean factory second or one that was returned/replaced.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
No. You have to send it back to them and pay the $20 which includes return shipping. Its worth it.
Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by Rambo
I ended up sending my 256 back to Filson...Now I'm hemming and hawing between the brown and the tan.
I know what you mean. Per my post above, the 256 is perfect for me 99% of the time. For that 1%, I ebay'd a well worn 257. Love it!! IMO you gotta go with tan. The brown just doesn't have enough contrast. Brown looks good after 10 yrs of wear...tan looks good out of the box and looks GREAT after 10 yrs of wear!

maverick

Reaction score
Really like these bags... but I don't think they have the "flap" to slide on to a rolling suitcase (for travel). Anyone find this to be a big problem / is there a solution?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maverick
Really like these bags... but I don't think they have the "flap" to slide on to a rolling suitcase (for travel). Anyone find this to be a big problem / is there a solution?

You are right, it doesn't have an opened bottom slot to be slid over your luggage handle. However, I prefer to attach/hook it to the front of the luggage down low anyway. That way you are not carrying the weight of your briefcase and suitcase. Down low, you are just balancing the weight.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
I carry a 256 daily for work, which handles regular (2 round trip flights/month) business travel and general every day duty perfectly. I carry a 13" Dell laptop w/sleeve and a handful of documents & files. I try to pack very light but found that every once in a [great] while, I need a bit more room.

My 256 is about two yrs old so it's nicely broken in and I didn't want to start breaking in a brand new 257 so I ebay'd a nicely distressed one. It's not exactly right for business attire but will work well for the occasional flight and/or weekend jaunt when I need more space.

I'll add some pics of the 256 later but in the meantime, here's my new-to-me 257 which has clearly seen lots of use. I found receipts in it dated 05-06, mechanical pencil lead and a name tag of a PE, which I assume is Prof. Engineer. The receipts were for airport purchases in Anchorage and Sea-Tac.

It had an X'd out tag. Does that mean factory second or one that was returned/replaced.

Great pics. xpost from SW&D filson thread since it shows another great worn-in Filson:

Got an email from eBags the other day offering 30% off...and for once, the discount worked for Filson! (single use or I would have shared)

Was going back and forth over whether to purchase a Pullman (243). At 30% off the price was similar to a Red Oxx carry on. Filson looks cooler, but Red Oxx is probably more functional. After some searching I found this pic, which pretty much sealed the deal:

FILSONPULLMAN_BLOG.jpg

(Even though mine will never look like that...the 257 I've used daily for the past 8 months could almost pass as new).

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Was going back and forth over whether to purchase a Pullman (243)...After some searching I found this pic, which pretty much sealed the deal:

FILSONPULLMAN_BLOG.jpg

Is this a picture of a Pullman/243? It looks amazing!!

Originally Posted by dcg
(Even though mine will never look like that...the 257 I've used daily for the past 8 months could almost pass as new).

I know how you feel. My 256 looks brand new even though it's seen almost daily use for a couple of yrs now. I kept wondering how long it would take to really break in. I recently stopped by a flagship dealer to take a look at the 257 and realized how stiff they are brand new. The twill and leather on my 256 is so soft compared to the ones on the shelf. It's easy to see how these things will last a lifetime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads