• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to make money by selling things but not delivering OR how to screw buyers on ebay

Jangofett

Reaction score
Hi,

I feel compel to write this on the screwed up ebay policy which basically helps sellers make money by not selling anything.

In short, what you do is this - after selling something, you intentionally sent it to an incomplete address, ie. you leave an important part of the address out. When that happens, you can ask the post office to return the item to you.

The frustrated buyer will contact you and you keep silent and refuse to refund.

When the frustrated buyer lodges a case on ebay Resolution Centre, you will win because this is the answer ebay gave me even after I gave them email showing the seller admitted the item was not delivered and the tracking information showing the item was not delivered but there was only an attempt on delivery.

"After thoroughly re-evaluating your case, I see that the seller provided us with tracking information that shows that there was an attempt to deliver. We don't expect the seller to issue a refund for an item that shows it was delivered, the buyer refused it, or if there was an attempt or "Notice Left".

It is very possible that a mistake was made by the mail carrier. The package may still be at the local post office for you to go and pick up.. but I hope you can understand we have to take that as proof of the seller getting their item to you.. Because of this, we will not able to approve your appeal for this case.

At this point, I recommend you contact the mail carrier used to see if they could provide further details of the package's whereabouts. If they are unable to provide you with further information, you may consider asking neighbors if they received the package in error."

Do these people not know the meaning of 'attempt' and actual delivery?
So now you can attempt a delivery and if it is undelivered, ebay won't help you?
Guess you can put old newspapers in a parcel that someone paid hundreds for a new designer suit and you don't care to whom it is returned to.

And the ebay policy is so screwed up, I cannot even reply to their email to me! If I can, I would have informed them, my local post office informed me ages ago the item was returned to seller, and the seller in his email I sent to ebay, even admitted it! What does ebay means by
'thoroughly re-evaluating your case'?

So, there you know. You can make a sham of delivering a sold item and make tons of money doing this. And the worse thing is, by this time, I cannot even leave any feedback for this item to warn others. Not that it would help because the account is so new, the seller can just close it.
Also, it is too late to file a dispute on paypal. All this, because I thought ebay can help me and I was hoping the seller would find the item from his post office and do the right thing and send it back to me.

If anyone got any helpful tips, I would appreciate it. I have already contacted the seller's post office but I doubt they can help me since I am not the sender.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Did you pay with Paypal?

Yes I did. But since it exceeded the 45 days limit, it just closed the case automatically despite my filing the case. While I can be faulted for taking more than 45 days to do so, as I mentioned, I was giving the seller time to check with his post office since I live in a different country from him and I can imagine delivery back to him (free of charge BTW) would take a long time.

And the seller gave me the excuse he shifted from his place and it would be difficult for him to check where is the item from the post office. Not that that should matter but I am basically a kind guy and I thought he would do the right thing as long as I am not too pushy.

Since he would be aware by now my ebay appeal is turned down, it would be less incentive for him to do anything.

Guess this means everybody should file an ebay and paypal appeal simultaneously huh!

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you get the attempted delivery notice? The post office holds it for 10 days before sending it back. Ebay is stupid and so is paypal. I hope you didnt send a personal payment thru paypal? That will screw you over.

How long has it been since the item was supposedly sent? I have a similar situation, but the post office is at fault. Morons said the package was delivered but i never received.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett

Guess this means everybody should file an ebay and paypal appeal simultaneously huh!

I had to get a refund from a guy and when he wouldn't reply to two emails I went straight to PayPal and got a refund right away. It seems weird that eBay isn't being more helpful, they have been touting their buyer protection on the front page all the time...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a People's Court episode where Judge Milian slammed a kid who pulled this stunt. He sent a box stuff with newspapers rather than whatever it is the guy won in the eBay auction - an electronic device - I think. Kid claimed it was the postal workers who must have done it. He didn't know how newspapers replaced the device, apparently. Idiot. Yes, he lost.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by badsha
Did you get the attempted delivery notice? The post office holds it for 10 days before sending it back. Ebay is stupid and so is paypal. I hope you didnt send a personal payment thru paypal? That will screw you over.

How long has it been since the item was supposedly sent? I have a similar situation, but the post office is at fault. Morons said the package was delivered but i never received.

I never received the notice because the address is incomplete.
Since it is incomplete, the post office would never attempt any delivery to my place.

It has been about 1 month. My post office wasn't moronic about it. They at least told me the item was already returned when I gave them the tracking number (seller didn't gave me the tracking number ASAP but later when I asked him for it).

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I had to get a refund from a guy and when he wouldn't reply to two emails I went straight to PayPal and got a refund right away. It seems weird that eBay isn't being more helpful, they have been touting their buyer protection on the front page all the time...

Hey, the para in blue is quoted verbatim from them.
They even try to assuage me by saying I am a good seller. I mean, thanks man!

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
There was a People's Court episode where Judge Milian slammed a kid who pulled this stunt. He sent a box stuff with newspapers rather than whatever it is the guy won in the eBay auction - an electronic device - I think. Kid claimed it was the postal workers who must have done it. He didn't know how newspapers replaced the device, apparently. Idiot. Yes, he lost.

Yah. He lost cause the box was found.

If the box was returned to the sender or sender refused to collect it from the post office, what can the buyer do about it, especially if the buyer does not stay in the same country as seller?

I really doubt any post office would send me the item even if I pay them!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point. I will be employ the above scheme and let you know how my fraud goes. Hope i get rich!

Jangofett

Reaction score
Good point. I will be employ the above scheme and let you know how my fraud goes. Hope i get rich!

Good luck. Hope everyone follow suit and bankrupt this screwed up corporation.
On my part, I would post my sales on ebay and do the actual sales off it, so no commission for ebay!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol8[1].gif

OP, contact the postal inspector. This is a form of mail fraud I believe.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
lol8[1].gif

OP, contact the postal inspector. This is a form of mail fraud I believe.

I have already contacted the seller's post office but as I mention, I doubt they will really help me since i am not the sender. But if you do not stay in the same country as the seller, what can you really do even if it is mail fraud?

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay needs to implement information sharing with law enforcement for vendors with repeated fraudulent activities.

There must be chumps who continuously try to game the system by making Ebay/Paypal responsible without fear of law enforcement consequences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics