• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing hair

bradsmitty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
Exactly. 10 pills per strip and the price decreases when you buy more.

Cool, thanks. I think I'm going to start taking this. Just one more question - I've never ordered anything from these pharmacy sites and I live in the US. Should I be concerned about any illegalities with this? How risky is ordering from this site?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of interest to the guys looking into finasteride:

WalMart just added the drug to its generics offerings. You can get a 30-day prescription of 5mg pills for $9. Since the dosage per day should be 1mg, you can split each pill into four, essentially getting four months' mileage of the meds for $9.

You need a prescription, but it's worth it over the duration. You won't pay anywhere near the cost of Propecia and you'll have peace of mind that what you're getting is absolutely legit, which you don't have with the international pharmacies.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bradsmitty
Cool, thanks. I think I'm going to start taking this. Just one more question - I've never ordered anything from these pharmacy sites and I live in the US. Should I be concerned about any illegalities with this? How risky is ordering from this site?

This:

Legality and risks of purchasing drugs online depend on the specific kind and amount of drug being purchased.

* It is illegal to purchase controlled substances from an overseas pharmacy. A person purchasing a controlled substance from such a pharmacy may be violating two federal laws that carry stiff penalties. The act of importation of the drug from overseas violates 21 USC, Section 952 (up to 5 years in prison and $250,000 fine for importation of non-narcotic Schedule III, IV, or V drugs; possibly more for narcotics and Schedule I and II drugs). The act of simple possession of a controlled substance without a valid prescription violates 21 USC, Section 844 (up to 1 year in prison and $1,000 fine). FDA does not recognize online prescriptions; for a prescription to be valid there must be a face-to-face relationship between the patient and the health-care professional prescribing the drug. What exactly constitutes a "face-to-face" relationship is considered by many online pharmacies to be a subjective definition that would allow them to operate as an adjunct to the patient's own physician if the patient submits medical records documenting a condition for which the requested medication is deemed appropriate for treatment. Sections 956 and 1301 provide exemptions for travellers who bring small quantities of controlled substances in or out of the country in person, but not by mail.
* Importation of any prescription drug (not necessarily a controlled substance) violates 21 USC, Section 301(aa), unless the following conditions are met (as listed in Section 804):
1. The drug is imported from Canada, from a seller registered with the Secretary (i.e. with FDA);
2. The drug is imported from a licensed pharmacy for personal use by an individual, not for resale, in quantities that do not exceed a 90-day supply;
3. The drug is accompanied by a copy of a valid prescription;
4. The drug is a prescription drug approved by the Secretary;
5. The drug is in the form of a final finished dosage that was manufactured in an establishment registered under section 510; and
6. The drug is imported under such other conditions as the Secretary determines to be necessary to ensure public safety.
* The law further specifies that enforcement should be focused on cases in which the importation by an individual poses a significant threat to public health, and discretion should be exercised to permit individuals to make such importations in circumstances in which the prescription drug or device imported does not appear to present an unreasonable risk to the individual
Basically, you will not have any problems. I have been ordering for a while from unitedpharmacies. Before I did, I had the same concerns. I made my research regarding the legality and also if they sold legitimate products and not counterfeit. All the info I could gather was that they carry legitimate products.

Originally Posted by APK
Of interest to the guys looking into finasteride:

WalMart just added the drug to its generics offerings. You can get a 30-day prescription of 5mg pills for $9. Since the dosage per day should be 1mg, you can split each pill into four, essentially getting four months' mileage of the meds for $9.

You need a prescription, but it's worth it over the duration. You won't pay anywhere near the cost of Propecia and you'll have peace of mind that what you're getting is absolutely legit, which you don't have with the international pharmacies.

You may also consider this, if you have access to a dermatologist or an urologist who can give you the prescription. The only hassle is going back after the prescription has expired.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, I can refill my 30-day prescription five times. Since I'm splitting the pills into fourths, I'll be good for a couple of years.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
FWIW, I can refill my 30-day prescription five times. Since I'm splitting the pills into fourths, I'll be good for a couple of years.
You ever get any side effects from it? I'm probably going to the dermatologist soon to see if I'm actually balding or what, and was just wondering because if I am then I'll probably go on Finasteride. Already got Nizoral because I have dandruff anyways and didn't want to use H&S.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not really. My shots, if you will, were pretty week for several weeks, which concerned me. But that's no longer an issue.

The sides thing, while valid, is overblown.

bradsmitty

Reaction score
OK Den is obviously a spammer, probably shouldn't click on his link.

Thanks for the help everyone

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevenson
Stress is the most important factor in causing hair loss. When stress is physical or psychological support, the hair stops because of this reason.

No, male pattern baldness, the most common cause of hair loss in men, is genetic and has no connection to stress.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Here is one of the links where I have read about the mature hairline:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/10/0...d-with-photos/

Interesting.

My hairline used to be an upside-down "U" shape, but as I've aged (mid 20s now) it's a little more upside-down "W" shaped.

I don;t think I'm going bald all over, but it's like my hairline has changed, and I've noticed the same on most all of my friends.

Is that what this is?

elmore

Reaction score
anyone considering using Propecia should make sure they are aware of the potential for side effects first. i considered trying it, then came across this website

http://www.propeciahelp.com/

having read the articles and looked at the users forum, i gave the whole thing a pass and now see any male hair loss as the flipside of being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. even if the amount of seriously affected cases are slim, frankly, their expereinces with this drug are horrific.

way i see it is, you're a man. men sometimes go bald. get over it and if it bugs you just focus on other areas of your life for improvement.

bradsmitty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Interesting.

My hairline used to be an upside-down "U" shape, but as I've aged (mid 20s now) it's a little more upside-down "W" shaped.

I don;t think I'm going bald all over, but it's like my hairline has changed, and I've noticed the same on most all of my friends.

Is that what this is?

Yeah, I guess your situation could either be a mature hairline, as mentioned in the article, or it could be the start of male pattern baldness. I'm not exactly sure how you tell the difference between the two, but after the hairline has receded past a certain point, it becomes obvious that it's balding.

Here is a forum discussion on the topic:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

And here is another good article with pictures:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/01/1...e-with-photos/

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elmore
anyone considering using Propecia should make sure they are aware of the potential for side effects first. i considered trying it, then came across this website

http://www.propeciahelp.com/

having read the articles and looked at the users forum, i gave the whole thing a pass and now see any male hair loss as the flipside of being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. even if the amount of seriously affected cases are slim, frankly, their expereinces with this drug are horrific.

way i see it is, you're a man. men sometimes go bald. get over it and if it bugs you just focus on other areas of your life for improvement.

Well, it is proven that any side effects subside after you discontinue use. Thankfully, I'm one of the lucky ones who dont experience any SE's at all. Twelve years and counting!!

elmore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
Well, it is proven that any side effects subside after you discontinue use. Thankfully, I'm one of the lucky ones who dont experience any SE's at all. Twelve years and counting!!

unfortunately that's not always the case. check out the propeciahelp forum and you will see people who have had their lives ruined after very minor use. clearly this is not always the case, but there are many documented cases which have resulted in permanent erectile disfunction amongst other SE's. if you look on propeciahelp there's a ton of negative experiences. MERKE (the drug company that license it) have not got much of a consience it seems.

the severe negative SE's that last after discontinueing use may be rare, but they certainly do occur. a lot of people with mild SE's say they have noticed a decrease in their sex drive and get more problems maintaining erection. that effect is common, and for my money that would put me off even if it was a mild case.

if you're fine on it, then great, you're one of the lucky ones, but having read that site i'm glad i never touched the stuff.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess your situation could either be a mature hairline, as mentioned in the article, or it could be the start of male pattern baldness. I'm not exactly sure how you tell the difference between the two, but after the hairline has receded past a certain point, it becomes obvious that it's balding.

Here is a forum discussion on the topic:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

And here is another good article with pictures:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/01/1...e-with-photos/

Thanks, I just wanted to know: is the "mature hairline" thing an actual, observed and accepted thing?

I've kinda noticed it on pretty much all my old male friends, are we just (all) slowly going bald?

Originally Posted by elmore
unfortunately that's not always the case. check out the propeciahelp forum and you will see people who have had their lives ruined after very minor use. clearly this is not always the case, but there are many documented cases which have resulted in permanent erectile disfunction amongst other SE's. if you look on propeciahelp there's a ton of negative experiences. MERKE (the drug company that license it) have not got much of a consience it seems.

the severe negative SE's that last after discontinueing use may be rare, but they certainly do occur. a lot of people with mild SE's say they have noticed a decrease in their sex drive and get more problems maintaining erection. that effect is common, and for my money that would put me off even if it was a mild case.

if you're fine on it, then great, you're one of the lucky ones, but having read that site i'm glad i never touched the stuff.

Wow that's some depressing stuff right there/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads