• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
could you please make a pre-post warning us right before you post the suit? I just want to log off the forum for a week or so at that point so that I can miss the ensuing 32 page thread fireworks. Maybe read a book or two until the dust settles. thx

Only 32 pages? I must be losing my touch.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, for one, am a staunch advocate of humor-and-distract-me-[somewhat]-while-I-[anxiously]-await- my-item(s)-to-arrive-but-at-least-the-payoff-[for you]-will-be-pics-of-the-unboxing, threads. Looking forward to teh payoff
wink.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I, for one, am a staunch advocate of humor-and-distract-me-[somewhat]-while-I-[anxiously]-await- my-item(s)-to-arrive-but-at-least-the-payoff-[for you]-will-be-pics-of-the-unboxing, threads.

Looking forward to teh payoff
wink.gif

I don't plan on taking any pics. The cost/benefit analysis just doesn't work out in my favor in any conceivable way anymore.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is absolutely pathetic,serves absolutely no purpose other than calling for attention. Foo,you can do better than this.And bespoke without having fittings? Is it even bespoke anymore? Half ass bespoke?

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
One other thing that I would consider a mistake that's hard to avoid - but that's not the tailor's - is the descrepancy between what I thought the cloth would look like based on a swatch and what it looked like when made up.

I have also found this to be an issue in the past and have ended up with a few jackets that I have never ended up wearing. I think edmorel is making the right decision to source his own fabric, I have thought about doing this for next jacket or suit that I have made. That way I don't end up saying to myself, what !@#* was I thinking when I receive a jacket in some ugly pattern that I thought looked good as a swatch.

-LR

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Bespoke delivery in a few days: what could go wrong?
I had a package stolen from my lobby once. that really sucked

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
This thread is absolutely pathetic,serves absolutely no purpose other than calling for attention. Foo,you can do better than this.And bespoke without having fittings? Is it even bespoke anymore? Half ass bespoke?

I started the thread for the sake of discussion. Does there have to a purpose beyond that on a discussion forum? Jeezus, this place sucks now. I'd rather opine on random things have gone wrong with bespoke orders with those who can commiserate than field yet another question on how to match an ugly tie with an ugly shirt or whether a pair of discounted AEs is really worth the money.

Originally Posted by ljrcustom
I have also found this to be an issue in the past and have ended up with a few jackets that I have never ended up wearing. I think edmorel is making the right decision to source his own fabric, I have thought about doing this for next jacket or suit that I have made. That way I don't end up saying to myself, what !@#* was I thinking when I receive a jacket in some ugly pattern that I thought looked good as a swatch.

There are perils on both sides. Cloth you bring to your tailor may not be what he's used to working with and there is no room for error since more can't necessarily be sourced.

Ideally, you are conservative enough with your cloth preferences that it doesn't really matter if the finished product is slightly different from what was expected, and your tailor has rolls of cloth for you to look at.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I started the thread for the sake of discussion. Does there have to a purpose beyond that on a discussion forum? Jeezus, this place sucks now. I'd rather opine on random things have gone wrong with bespoke orders with those who can commiserate than field yet another question on how to match an ugly tie with an ugly shirt or whether a pair of discounted AEs is really worth the money.

I agree with you on matching ties,shirts and AE shoes. I guess it is the way you started this thread," Hey look,I am waiting for my Rubinacci suit,what do you think could go wrong?", that made me think that you are craving for attention. At least post some pictures of said suit upon receipt.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I agree with you on matching ties,shirts and AE shoes. I guess it is the way you started this thread," Hey look,I am waiting for my Rubinacci suit,what do you think could go wrong?", that made me think that you are craving for attention. At least post some pictures of said suit upon receipt.

That's ridiculous. I provide a niggling tidbit of context for a general question and I'm attention whoring, yet you think posting pictures of myself would somehow mitigate said whorishness? Come on. You're just seeing what you want to see.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There are perils on both sides. Cloth you bring to your tailor may not be what he's used to working with and there is no room for error since more can't necessarily be sourced.

Ideally, you are conservative enough with your cloth preferences that it doesn't really matter if the finished product is slightly different from what was expected, and your tailor has rolls of cloth for you to look at.

Well, I always try and get at least an extra meter of cloth. For suits I hand in 4 meters and for coats 3 meters.

As to the bolded part, I don't understand what you mean. It sounds like yuo are saying to stick with navy or charcoal grey for all commissions
confused.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I always try and get at least an extra meter of cloth. For suits I hand in 4 meters and for coats 3 meters.

A good policy, but it also tends to undo any cost savings you might have otherwise achieved, which is the reason why many go the CMT route in the first place.

As to the bolded part, I don't understand what you mean. It sounds like yuo are saying to stick with navy or charcoal grey for all commissions
confused.gif

Not just charcoal and navy. My point is that if you pick a classic pattern in classic colors from a good merchant/mill, the probable divergence from expectation is much more tolerable. Who cares if the blue overcheck on a simple grey glen plaid flannel is slightly more lilac than it looked under the lighting at the shop? The general concept is sound and unimpeachable, and who's to say had you picked a different glen plaid that it wouldn't look wrong to you in a different way in a different situation? It's only when you start considering things like purple pinstripes or complex plaids in technicolor arrays that it's much more likely that such a divergence will make the final product a total disappointment.

That's why I don't pour over cloth too much. I have general ideas and I know which mills or merchants are the best quality-wise with respect to executing those ideas. Lighting always changes, so what do I care if Harrisons or AcmeNoNameMerchant make a 13 oz. grey flannel that look slightly different at the shop, outside under sunlight, or at the office? I'll pick Harrisons every time because I know they sell objectively good cloth. Plus, I know the actual cloth that is delivered for my suit will always be at least slightly different from the weathered swatch I saw, which was probably made in a different run anyway.

Between two cloths of the same color, pattern and type, from reputable sources, I just ask my tailor which one he prefers. I rarely even both asking for swatches.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't plan on taking any pics. The cost/benefit analysis just doesn't work out in my favor in any conceivable way anymore.

At least admit it will be wildly entertaining for the rest of us. In all seriousness, I can't wait to see the newest addition.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the cost/benefit analysis ever works out for anyone, but I still very much appreciate the folks who do post their pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads