• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes Roy's process any different from Ande Whall's? No hate, just an honest question I'm shocked hasn't come up, I'm wearing my Cone Mills Ande's right now (21 months now, still going strong) and am sure that Roy's are just as good. I'm not saying it's not impressive and everything, just wondering if there is anything different from what Ande impressed me with a couple of years ago.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fycus
*Urge to post your fit wearing dumb as fck Yohji sweater*
duuude: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=87 My point was merely that I can make claims about "timelessness" too but I don't see why they'd be substantiated. Heritage is also a trend and part of the larger fashion thing, some people may stay on some trend longer than others but that is not a unique characteristic of heritage denim fans nor is it necessarily positive, one way or another. As for my YY sweater well, he's pretty established (much more so than any other Japanese brand) so you guys should respect that if that is your thing.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
What makes Roy's process any different from Ande Whall's? No hate, just an honest question I'm shocked hasn't come up, I'm wearing my Cone Mills Ande's right now (21 months now, still going strong) and am sure that Roy's are just as good. I'm not saying it's not impressive and everything, just wondering if there is anything different from what Ande impressed me with a couple of years ago.

Ande' has completely switched to *** denim, I'm curious how it compares to Cone.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
To folks who think Roy's too expensive, I've got you a japanese alternative "Double Volante". Also a single man made jean for only 35000 yen/~$430 including shipping.
****, your misinformation made me post in this threak. DV jeans are bespoke. You choose the denim, the pocket bag material, the measurements, the hardware, the patch, zip or button fly, etc. Roy's are not comparable except to the RTW DVs which are cheaper.
Originally Posted by whatever123
odd...that makes no sense either. if the jeans were worth $275 (at retail) then why wouldnt roy have priced them there? the price increase is just a profit markup which is fine, but i wont buy a pair. you all can though!
Because he's transitioning from a "Hobbyist who charges a small fee to cover costs of production and time" to a "Businessman who needs to make money to survive and expand" How is this such a hard concept for you people to understand?
Originally Posted by kiya
http://heydomeafavor.com/
Win. Just report him, pretty sure thread ******** an affiliate thread is a banable offense
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
every1's got their own definition of what "artisan" jeans is about. the [version] that has sustained my obsession all these years was bourne out of a tradition in jeans making. it may have evolved quite rapidly in recent years, with updated cuts + use of newer denim fabrics with exotic dye techniques + fancier trims, but folks like me tend not to stray far away "tradition". unlike fashion where designers keep putting a spin on anything & everything to keep goods in perpetual flux, the denim cult is the antithesis of that. denimheads like me would be wearing same/similar cut/style jeans after the mad denim rush have long subsided & most of the [plastic wielding] kids have moved on to other pursuits/obsessions. bottomline: in my hood, rep takes time. as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. i'm sure ROY is quite a gifted jeansmith & he's got all the right to demand his price, but imo he's gotta have enuf street cred to prevail & maintain. hopefully, Kiya could usher him out of obscurity to succeed.
This is kind of pitiful
Originally Posted by pronxs
for ~275, ROY or Pbj xx007? hmm, tough choice.
confused.gif

XX-010.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Of course my affirmation was deliberately dismissive and might be totally untrue. But then you attempted to divide people who buy clothes into "fashion' consumers and jeans nerds.
well, to varying degrees, we are all "consumers". i wasn't "attempting to divide", i was trying to distinguish & establish a base to my argumentation about the buying bahavior of the 2 groups.

'just in my personal, non-perfessional observation [in reference to the topic @hand], fashion forward ppl thrive on fresh/new ideas/concepts vs denimheads who would rather take "the tried & beaten path", so to speak. our decision to buy is mostly based on research [ie., well documented performance] of the product. we tend to break it down & analyze it to death before we open our wallets.

Originally Posted by KitAkira
This is kind of pitiful
why?! voicing an opinion is not kosher these days?

Ideefixee

Reaction score
39.5" inseams? Daaayyuumm.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
honestly, until today i had not even heard of you and i only read like two or three sentences of what you post...but i think that is great you think you have respect on an internet forum
thumbs-up.gif
butbut.gif

What is more foolish: to participate in something you find worthwhile or to dismiss it outright while still engaging in it. Not that it matters as this "it's the internet brah" bullshit happens as soon as morons run out of arguments.

What can I say I find online fashion forums to offer a wealth of information, buying/selling opportunities and sometimes even interesting discussions. Sure it is not always the case and I could life a fruitful life without ever reading one again but why pretend they are useless?

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
What is more foolish: to participate in something you find worthwhile or to dismiss it outright while still engaging in it. Not that it matters as this "it's the internet brah" bullshit happens as soon as morons run out of arguments.

What can I say I find online fashion forums to offer a wealth of information, buying/selling opportunities and sometimes even interesting discussions. Sure it is not always the case and I could life a fruitful life without ever reading one again but why pretend they are useless?

+1. Why would you troll a fashion forum in ignorance? Find something or a few things you are knowledgeable in, and post in discussions which relate to it (or them). Posting negative comments and basically thread-********, and not having the expertise to back them up?

How embarrassing for you.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never thought I would ever say this. I actually agree with most of what Fuuma and Uncontrol have said in this thread.

It certainly appears many in this thread have no idea about manufacturing or how a supply chain works. If you did then you would understand the rise in the retail price of this guy's jeans. Add in the small batch runs along with being backed by a well known denim dealer who knows his **** and the rise in price is further warranted.

Good luck Roy and Kiya, I hope it works well for both of you.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
why?! voicing an opinion is not kosher these days?
Uh... did you even read what you read? It's pitiful. I don't reflect that on you, but this reads like some hypebeast denimnerd's fanfic

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whatever123, please STFU unless you have something substantial to say, which I don't believe you do. This is Fok the administrator speaking. I'm not against a decent debate, obviously, but you've gone beyond that just to be a douchebag in this thread. Geez.

I really don't understand why people would spend all day posting on a thread re. a subject that they hate. There must be some thread where people are talking about stuff you like/are interested in, right?

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Uh... did you even read what you read? It's pitiful. I don't reflect that on you, but this reads like some hypebeast denimnerd's fanfic
blush.gif
well yea, got a tad over zealous there.

mikecch

Reaction score
Wow, this thread has really gone to sh!ts... My whole point a few pages back was that one should not pretend the 'upgrades' to the jeans are worth $125 more; the $125 goes to SE and their services, which is very legitimate and necessary for the partnership to prosper. Just don't try and feed me the story that a change in rivets and outseam construction warrants the price rise - I'm a n00b, but not a complete n00b.
Originally Posted by entrero
To folks who think Roy's too expensive, I've got you a japanese alternative "Double Volante". Also a single man made jean for only 35000 yen/~$430 including shipping.
Double Volante is a different concept dude! Firstly, the jeans are completely customised, not off the rack - your pick of denim (very nice ones too, even some fabric which outclasses the 14 oz Cone White Oak), pocket clothe, hardware, patch, etc... Not to mention Roy is still a novice compared to Kuniyoshi-san, when it comes to making jeans. Anyway, some gen. 1 Roy pictures to make this thread less crappy:
DSC04118.jpg
DSC04129.jpg

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the **** just happened here?

Amazing that we can't just appreciate a guy who goes nuts over collecting vintage machines and makes jeans really quite well, all by his ******* self. That's a hell of a lot better than I could do, that's for sure. I may or may not buy some, but that's totally beside the point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads