• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hadn't planned on buying one but I was on my way home and walked by the Apple store...thought the 11-inch model would be perfect for my briefcase...light...does everything I need it to do and it's much nicer surfing the web relaxed on the sofa when I have a keyboard.

So...I bought it. The little thing is fantastic

EDIT: I bought 2 of the first gen Airs and was happy...unfortunately they took away the backlit keys on the new one

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
So, back to the original topic. For full and frank disclosure, I already own an iPad and a 15" MBP. I fool around on the iPad when commuting and for a bit before bed, and use my MBP for work. I also have a desktop for gaming, but that's another story.

Unfortunately where I work the powers that be are not yet forward thinking enough to get laptops for everyone, yet I am out of the office quite frequently at meetings and other timewasting events where I still need to do a fair bit of work. I originally chose the 15" model over the 13" model because of the screen real estate (which I like), but have grown to detest lugging it about. From time to time I've also tried using my MBP while in bed, but its a bit too unwieldy and clunky.

Which makes me seriously consider a 13" MBA. The processor suits me just fine - all I do is word processing anyway - and I see that the bumped the resolution to match the resolution on the 15" MBPs. The MBAs haven't landed where I am just yet, but the moment they show up in stores I'm going to check them out to see if I can live with the dot pitch and if I can, I'm picking up one on the spot. With 4GB RAM of course.

couple of questions.

Why don't you use the ipad for typing? Does it suck?

Also, you could get rid of the 15" MBP and get the 13" instead. Much more manageable size.

Brosef

Reaction score
Okayyyy. Need to decide before this weekend. I'm either buying a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air for school. Won't be doing anything on it except go on the internet a bit and watch class recordings. The reason why I'd get the Air is because it's really not heavy and won't be a pain ********** to carry it back and forth every day. However, I heard it tends to get very slow as soon as it starts to heat a little. Is this true? I'm really impatient lol.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
well then, allow me to save you like five hundred bucks.

Go buy the Dell Vostro v13 for four hundred bucks with Ubuntu on it. Mac theme Ubuntu to your heart's content. Prosper.

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt

Go buy the Dell Vostro v13 for four hundred bucks with Ubuntu on it. Mac theme Ubuntu to your heart's content. Prosper.

I know I'm really stupid to say this, but it doesn't look as good. It's kinda heavy too. I have to carry with me 2-3 textbooks a day with that stuff...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
the weight difference is less than 200 grams, and since it has a smaller power adapter, less than that....and if that's an issue, then why is the MBP even a consideration for you?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hmmm... on the one hand the laptop looks lame, on the other hand, "Ubuntu" sounds cool and is fun to say.....
confused.gif

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
couple of questions.

Why don't you use the ipad for typing? Does it suck?

Two words. Track changes.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain

Also, you could get rid of the 15" MBP and get the 13" instead. Much more manageable size.

True, but choosing between the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA, I'd much rather go with the MBA.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
hmmm... on the one hand the laptop looks lame, on the other hand, "Ubuntu" sounds cool and is fun to say.....
confused.gif

it's actually a pretty sexy looking thing. Played with my friend's the other day and had laptop envy.

Brosef

Reaction score
the weight difference is less than 200 grams, and since it has a smaller power adapter, less than that....and if that's an issue, then why is the MBP even a consideration for you?

In the case that the Air gets indeed slow when it starts heating a bit

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
it's actually a pretty sexy looking thing
Impossible. It doesn't have a glowing Apple on the lid to let everyone know how "creative and unique" you are. It just says "Dell" which lets everyone know how "cheap" you are. Maybe we could make some stick on glow in the dark Apple decals, so that you can cover up that unsightly Dell logo. Then it might be sexy looking.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the new MBA is a dog. I regret having ordered one. I wish there were other 2", 10 lb desktop replacements that I'd never actually have with me to consider. Gawd...I want to pwn Crysis benchmarks so bad.
33261.png

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Yeah the new MBA is a dog. I regret having ordered one. I wish there were other 2", 10 lb desktop replacements that I'd never actually have with me to consider. Gawd...I want to pwn Crysis benchmarks so bad.
33261.png

biggrin.gif

bkk

Reaction score
Its not meant to run a dozen applications at a time. It will definitely stutter and the experience will be less than optimal. Get an Air if you mostly surf the web, write emails, and play music. If you use power hungry applications, this is not for you. End of story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads