• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roy's Jeans - Single Man Made

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
To be fair, as an advertising copywriter, I have done fairly large campaigns using the phrase "rethink everything" as part of the copy. So I'm guilty of what I'm criticizing.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
He makes every pair on his own, is it really that difficult to understand? This link shows the whole process how a good jean is made, if you make it through the +60 pages then you'll stop bitching http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...d.php?t=149004
right, im aware of that, so no, its not hard to understand. but "rethinking everything" is a truly conclusive statement and i was simply wondering if it was only because he is limiting production or if he is doing something truly original. i think roy even said in the video clip "success means more machines," so maybe it wont be long before he can buy machines that will allow him to produce more. but my point is it doesnt seem like he is doing something unique in the jean making process (aside from low production), at least from what i can tell, to justify a price increase aside from what has already been mentioned, i.e., new patch, hardware, or a different/modified cut. if you think about it, just several months ago his pricing was such his competition was apc or left field, but now, he is competing (price wise) on a whole new level with several well established japanese denim companies, so i was just trying to figure out if he was doing something they were not. but they look good and it will be interesting to see the response.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
lol @ people criticizing marketing copy, what do you want him to say?

lol @ people criticizing people criticizing marketing copy.

I don't know. I guess I would like it to be written intelligently? But I guess that is asking a lot of marketing people.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This thread is making me rethink everything I know about Styleforum. Everything, I tell you. Everything!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
This thread is making me rethink everything I know about Styleforum. Everything, I tell you. Everything!

lol...exactly!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
right, im aware of that, so no, its not hard to understand. but "rethinking everything" is a truly conclusive statement and i was simply wondering if it was only because his is limiting production or if he is doing something truly original. but like i said, i was going to get a pair when they were like WAY less money...but never did.

i think he even said "success means more machines," so maybe it wont be long before he can buy machines that will allow him to produce more.

but my point is it doesnt seem like he is doing something unique in the jean making process (aside from low production), at least from what i can tell, to justify a price increase aside from what has already been mentioned, i.e., new patch, hardware, or a different/modified cut.

if you think about it, just several months ago his pricing was such his competition was apc or left field, but now, he is competing (price wise) on a whole new level with several well established japanese denim companies, so i was just trying to figure out if he was doing something they were not. but they look good and it will be interesting to see the response.

A few points;

-having the whole production be in the same room and done by one person (or a very limited team in the case of specialized actions) is something that, for example, only the best bespoke shoemakers do. John Lobb Paris (around 7K) does it but not John Lobb Northampton (not sure now but certainly 4-5k). He does the design, the patch, every ******* step, that is truly exceptional and I'm sure the "team" (this one dude) never has problems understanding what the other teams do and always gets what he wants, after all he is the only one. It is very impressive indeed if done at an artisanal BUT professional level and not as an amateur in his basement with whatever skill he has.

-sure it was lower, you were getting the stuff straight from the maker while he was getting started, this couldn't last so be happy you got an exceptional deal not angry you won't get it anymore; all fashion labels pretty much start with some designer dressing their friends for free than a small network of people for not much, it just cannot last if the label wants to continue existing. Now you've got Kiya/Selfedge distributing the guy and we know he is fully commited to artisan/heritage jeans and has the means to get the brand known and distributed, I say good work Kiya not you greedy bastard, I wanna pay $150.

-I only wear designer jeans like Dior homme and Cloak and I'm seriously thinking of getting a pair, would most def do if they were black as I hardly wear blue jeans.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly i was skeptical until i watched the video.

so ******* awesome.

WATCH THE ******* VIDEO!!!!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
A few points; -having the whole production be in the same room and done by one person (or a very limited team in the case of specialized actions) is something that, for example, only the best bespoke shoemakers do. John Lobb Paris (around 7K) does it but not John Lobb Northampton (not sure now but certainly 4-5k). He does the design, the patch, every ******* step, that is truly exceptional and I'm sure the "team" (this one dude) never has problems understanding what the other teams do and always gets what he wants, after all he is the only one. It is very impressive indeed if done at an artisanal BUT professional level and not as an amateur in his basement with whatever skill he has. -sure it was lower, you were getting the stuff straight from the maker while he was getting started, this couldn't last so be happy you got an exceptional deal not angry you won't get it anymore; all fashion labels pretty much start with some designer dressing their friends for free than a small network of people for not much, it just cannot last if the label wants to continue existing. Now you've got Kiya/Selfedge distributing the guy and we know he is fully commited to artisan/heritage jeans and has the means to get the brand known and distributed, I say good work Kiya not you greedy bastard, I wanna pay $150. -I only wear designer jeans like Dior homme and Cloak and I'm seriously thinking of getting a pair, would most def do if they were black as I hardly wear blue jeans.
no, you make some good points. but these jeans are not bespoke (not made to customer spec's). they are produced in small numbers because of limiting factors. its not quite the same thing but i do understand your point. and yeah...se needs to make money, which i totally understand, but i was just wondering if he was doing something differently. many japanese denim companies also produce in small numbers but use better denim, etc., and are in this price range. but it will be interesting to see what happens. sorry if you interpret questioning as anger. im not angry cause i never bought them...i think i got a pair of samurai's instead, which i love.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to beat the Japanese mystique. Either Roy has to slay a dragon or he's doomed to guys like Whatever123.

Roy gets my money over Raleigh though.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
no, you make some good points. but these jeans are not bespoke (not made to customer spec's). they are produced in small numbers because of limiting factors. its not quite the same thing but i do understand your point.

and yeah...se needs to make money, which i totally understand, but i was just wondering if he was doing something differently. many japanese denim companies also produce in small numbers but use better denim, etc., and are in this price range. but it will be interesting to see what happens.

sorry if you interpret questioning as anger. im not angry cause i never bought them...i think i got a pair of samurai's instead, which i love.

I doubt they produce in a truly artisanal way with the same person doing the designs+choosing fabric+leather+cutting all parts. It is EXCEPTIONALLY rare to work that way and, to be frank, somewhat counterproductive. I was comparing it to the bespoke process as it is not something I know is being done elsewhere. Keep in mind that some people do artisanal but they aren't doing it at a level I would qualify as "professional" so their output is not that impressive. I dunno about Roy but what I read sounds pretty good.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think roy even said in the video clip "success means more machines," so maybe it wont be long before he can buy machines that will allow him to produce more.
More machines doesn't necessarily equate to higher production and that is especially true if he doesn't hire/train more people to operate these machines and instead sticks to being a single man operation. Reading about Roy's story I think more machines means even more rare/esoteric vintage machines given that he got into making jeans through his hobby of collecting rare/vintage sewing machines. Like a selvedge loom or loopwheel machine I doubt the machines he is thinking about acquiring with his success will lead to leaps in production but instead more intricate details and a finer product with more character. An example might be the blackhead singer/union royal/keyholing machines that outfits like Rising Sun & Co. have as described in this post on superfuture: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...9&postcount=23 But who knows
smile.gif
We'll see.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Separated Pending Divorce Man Made, anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads