• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spagnutty
Is there any place I'd have a snowball's chance in hell of finding a seersucker suit in something close to a size 34?

Rogues Gallery has seer sucker suit seperates in red and blue. The size small fits me like a 36. You could probably buy it and have it altered to fit you like a 34.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is more formal (i.e. apropriate for wearing with a city suit) - a full brogue (wingtip) balmoral or a half brogue (Captoe with medallion) balmoral?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
What is more formal (i.e. apropriate for wearing with a city suit) - a full brogue (wingtip) balmoral or a half brogue (Captoe with medallion) balmoral?

The closer the shoes to plain captoes, the more formal they appear. Hence half brogue is more formal than full brogue.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
The closer the shoes to plain captoes, the more formal they appear. Hence half brogue is more formal than full brogue.

Thanks!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Dark chambray shirt and camel/khaki blazer. Good look, bad look, or meh?
chamb.jpg
(Don't mind the stupid poses)

My opinion--no. Too hipster for me. Then again, I am on the conservative side of things... I am one of those people who would never wear a tie with jeans. I think this is more of an issue with whether or not this kind of look would fit into your personal style.

Newstyle

Reaction score
28 year college student-Alden Indy 403s or Alden Longwing bluchers? Plus which would be more versatile?
I want both but can only get one.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm crossing over from SW&D in hopes that you guys know something about banded collar button downs? I'm looking for any brands/webshops that might have slim fitting banded collar dress or casual shirts. Or perhaps an online MTM shop that does these? Thanks

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jrd617 that's a great look if you can pull it off, casual and masculine. but then the supermodel bod in the photo could pull anything off

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
28 year college student-Alden Indy 403s or Alden Longwing bluchers? Plus which would be more versatile?
I want both but can only get one.

These are two very different kind of shoes - or to be more precise, one is a boot and one a shoe. For versatility, the longwing would have to win because you can wear it with a suit or with jeans. If you don't wear a suit so much (or at all), the Indys would probably be better especially if you are in a colder climate. If you plan to wear them only casually, you probably don't want to be known as the guy in the wingtips all the time.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
These are two very different kind of shoes - or to be more precise, one is a boot and one a shoe. For versatility, the longwing would have to win because you can wear it with a suit or with jeans. If you don't wear a suit so much (or at all), the Indys would probably be better especially if you are in a colder climate. If you plan to wear them only casually, you probably don't want to be known as the guy in the wingtips all the time.

I agree with this. I'm 37 and I wear boots much less frequently than wingtips. But as a college student, you should go with the Indys. Much more appropriate with jeans and khakis and all that.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just found a black 100% wool zegna suit for about $650 the label read "ermengildo zegna" with a large "Z" behind it what line is this and is this a good find
bigstar[1].gif

mrtef3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
Hi, I'm crossing over from SW&D in hopes that you guys know something about banded collar button downs? I'm looking for any brands/webshops that might have slim fitting banded collar dress or casual shirts. Or perhaps an online MTM shop that does these? Thanks
J. Peterman, and have them tailored?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoodsuitfan
i just found a black 100% wool zegna suit for about $650 the label read "ermengildo zegna" with a large "Z" behind it what line is this and is this a good find
bigstar[1].gif

That's a new-model mainline Zegna. $650 is cheap compared to retail, but you could probably do better. More importantly, what do you need a black suit for?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
That's a new-model mainline Zegna. $650 is cheap compared to retail, but you could probably do better. More importantly, what do you need a black suit for?

i was always told you should have a black suit and i no longer have one is this adage incorrect

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pull the tag out of the pocket. Under FIT it should say one of

Rom aka ROMA
MIL aka Milano (I'm too lazy to check but I think it's MIL)
TRL something like for traveller.

The label will also list fabric makeup. Drop.

Does it fit you?

Most people here don't like black suits. Not a great choice for your first suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads