• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few spam posts lately... Funny that they are posting on the wrong forums :p Who in their right mind here would buy any Ed Hardy rubbish?

Anyway, how do you fellas manage to find all this stuff?!

The few thrift stores I visited have nothing but rubbish polyester ties and suits (which are all gigantic DB sack suits) that are probably worth the same new as they are being sold for at those thrift stores. Am I visiting the wrong suburbs or am I just in the wrong country?
laugh.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Australia.
Yeah.
plain.gif

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a fantastic Alan Figaret shirt in a pink striped poplin with turnback cuffs, and a Bamford & Sons 'safari' jacket in a linen / cotton blend with bellows pockets (from a consignment store). I passed up on some nice stuff that didn't quite fit (RL Polo flannel suit) or work in my wardrobe (a BNWOT Bamford & Sons quarter-lined light blue wool jacket with elbow patches).

was385

Reaction score
Picked up a cashmere Burberrys overcoat in either black or a very dark blue. It's a little big on me so I may try and sell it here but for the life of me I have no idea what I would start it off at. It's listed as 44R, but looks like the sleeves were taken in 2" or so as it fits like a 44S. Anyone have any ideas on a reasonable price?

P1000698.jpg

P1000701.jpg

P1000702.jpg

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by was385
Picked up a cashmere Burberrys overcoat in either black or a very dark blue. It's a little big on me so I may try and sell it here but for the life of me I have no idea what I would start it off at. It's listed as 44R, but looks like the sleeves were taken in 2" or so as it fits like a 44S. Anyone have any ideas on a reasonable price?

P1000698.jpg

P1000701.jpg

P1000702.jpg

Looks like it is made by Chester Barrie
blush.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Still fairly new to all of this. Good thing? Bad thing? Honestly, got if for 10 bucks at the thrift store so it's not too big a deal either way.

its a good thing,and i think you would be more to reasonable to ask $120-$150,although they are more known for their trenchcoats so you may not sell it quickly (but thats not beacuse of the price,more the category)

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Outerwear can be hard to move. Given the color, cut, fabric and brand that one should be easier than some. Is it made in England? What's that tag on the inside of the pocket with "100% Cashmere" on it?

If there's room to let out the sleeve length that would also help you move it.

Great find at that price, btw.

was385

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Outerwear can be hard to move. Given the color, cut, fabric and brand that one should be easier than some. Is it made in England? What's that tag on the inside of the pocket with "100% Cashmere" on it?

If there's room to let out the sleeve length that would also help you move it.

Great find at that price, btw.

The two tags inside the pocket are care instructions, lining information, and size. It's got the made in England at the top of the lining. Would ebay be a better place to try and move this?

Larson McCord

Reaction score
The two tags inside the pocket are care instructions, lining information, and size. It's got the made in England at the top of the lining. Would ebay be a better place to try and move this?

You can always try it on this site then move it to Ebay later, no fees here. But if I were selling something and was going to ask over $100 I wouldn't divulge that I paid $10

was385

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
You can always try it on this site then move it to Ebay later, no fees here. But if I were selling something and was going to ask over $100 I wouldn't divulge that I paid $10

When you're trying to pay your way through college, you don't really care how you make the money.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Post pictures of those tags. They may give a clue to the maker (eg, Chester Barrie). Made in England is good for selling.

You should take good pictures, including pictures of all tags, take good measurements, and list it here at SF. If you don't get nibbles after a couple of price drops take it to ebay.

Edit: He wasn't knocking you for getting it for $10 (not in this thread). Some buyers get touchy if they know how much you're making on the sale, or think you're making "too much" regardless of whether or not they're paying a fair price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads