• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I'm all for odd proportion and deliberately skewed geomotries. Back in the day Raf was the master of this. This just looks jarring. The sneakers are questionable on their won but when paired with a very conservative (slim allbeit, but still conservative) outfit they look completely out of place. Raf's not quite as directional as say Rick Owens, but some pieces are and those sneakers are one of them.
Disagree with this almost completely, first of all I don't find them offensive and think they're pretty cool. Second of all I wouldn't call Raf hi-tops directional at all; these are a weird material but it doesn't seem that off with the rest of the fit. Pairing shiny hitops with skinny jeans and puffer seems like a pretty typical move to me. Also don't see how this is odd proportion or skewed geometry?
confused.gif
Have to say I don't particularly like the jeans or the scarf but the idea seems fine to me.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't reflect the natural shape of the body unlike the rest of the highly slim clothes. They also don't follow aesthetically pleasing proportions or tie in with the outfit with the color scheme.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
take better pics! Is the sweater VB?

Oui chef! Finally found my camera but after a year or two the battery is dead, will charge it. The sweater is garbage but I should take detailed shot of the pants it's a nice two-tone effect mmm just wore them after some alterations.

stinger70

Reaction score
They don't reflect the natural shape of the body unlike the rest of the highly slim clothes. They also don't follow aesthetically pleasing proportions or tie in with the outfit with the color scheme.

does a puffer jacket reflect the natural shape of the body? I think the sneakers look good with the first pic, but not the 2nd, because without that jacket they have nothing to balance them out and look out of place. But in the first instance...looks great.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

1. Are you saying that shape juxtaposition is always negative?
2. "Aesthetically please proportions" is pretty subjective.

Binker

Reaction score
thanks for the comments. that sweater is a 48, and I'm typically able to fill out a 50 pretty well, so I'm quite sure it's intended to fit oversized and round like that. and I really have no idea how to wear it except how I did, with slim, tapered jeans. dunno if I could pull off a look that has more than one baggy or oversized element.

Alexlude

Reaction score
off to work,

sized down on the N&F from first post but didnt notice the stacks on jeans were falling a bit weirdly

1064916831_WUTYL-XL.jpg

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hummingbird
Quoted from awhile back just because it's so incredibly good. Mellowfellow, I'd give just about anything for access to your collection of clothes. You have superb taste, sir. You should turn into a gothninja and sell it all to me. Really. Your fits are always in line with how I'd like to dress - given a bit more resources and access to cities like NYC.

I'm sure you wouldn't have to break the bank in order to achieve a look similar to this. What makes the outfit work so well isn't that the brands are expensive, but the fit.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hummingbird
This is definitely fine. It seems like something I'd wear to make myself look a bit manlier on occasion. The DBs are not out of place, and are a good fit with the chinos. What's the brand on the pants by the way?

Thanks for the feedback. They're epaulet walt's. They fit a bit different from most walts, as they were a size too large so I had them taken in at the seat. The result is a slightly looser leg than how most walts fit me.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Have to say I don't particularly like the jeans or the scarf but the idea seems fine to me.

Jeans with bright contrast stitching running down both sides of the legs bother the hell out of me.

jwied82

Reaction score
very simple fit today. pretty warm here, and going to see los campesinos! / johnny foreigner tonight.

PA260941.jpg

too small t
too tight jeans
common projects

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wupper
^^Those sneakers are disgusting. They look like freshly hatched mutant maggots or something...
facepalm.gif
Originally Posted by stinger70
First pic looks great AR_Six...if you'd posted that in the fit battle i'd have made a different vote
eh.gif

Originally Posted by nahneun
I also like this more than your fit battle submission.
Thanks, and though I personally wouldn't agree (love my 5zip), it wasn't a conscious preference or anything - the fit battle one was what I happened to be wearing yesterday and this is what I happened to be wearing today. Though I imagine it would play better, people seem to get the most votes in those contests by standing out. Actually, without the sweater it would be my entry into any given "use of the colour green" fit contest like that one they had in MC one time that turned out so well.
I'm all for odd proportion and deliberately skewed geomotries. Back in the day Raf was the master of this. This just looks jarring... Raf's not quite as directional as say Rick Owens, but some pieces are and those sneakers are one of them.
This is fair. Actually I have mostly worn these with either an oversized knit at least, or a longer coat. They're a bit of a challenge, more so than my other (dominant white with black) Astros.
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Disagree with this almost completely, first of all I don't find them offensive and think they're pretty cool. Second of all I wouldn't call Raf hi-tops directional at all; these are a weird material but it doesn't seem that off with the rest of the fit. Pairing shiny hitops with skinny jeans and puffer seems like a pretty typical move to me.
Even though they're patent, because they're cracked they don't come off as super shiny in normal light, that's mostly the flash and to some extent the artificial lighting.
030hg.jpg
Originally Posted by Nil
Jeans with bright contrast stitching running down both sides of the legs bother the hell out of me.
Fair, but again the flash is accentuating the contrast significantly.
Originally Posted by stinger70
does a puffer jacket reflect the natural shape of the body? I think the sneakers look good with the first pic, but not the 2nd, because without that jacket they have nothing to balance them out and look out of place. But in the first instance...looks great.
Agree completely, actually. The main problem I have wearing these, I find, is balancing out the top half of the fit with them when tucking skinny jeans into them. If there's some bunching at the calf the proportions balance themselves out better and it's not as necessary to offset them with something up top like an outerwear piece. The knit helps a bit but not much because it's slim fit. I actually wish I had a detail shot of the sweater - it's 1999 Helmut Lang with nylon woven in between the ribbing, which creates a pretty interesting subtle shinyness to it that parallels the shoes. Basically I think to make this work properly I needed my grey pipe legs and NDG coat. I still think it's okay as is but the criticism is well taken. I'll see if I can take a non-flash pic later before I leave.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwied82
very simple fit today. pretty warm here, and going to see los campesinos! / johnny foreigner tonight.

PA260941.jpg

too small t
too tight jeans
common projects

i typically am not a fan of CP. i like them in this fit alot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads