• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting photo pulled from Leather Soul: two pairs of Edward Greens both in Burgundy Antique and both a few years old.

Tom wrote, "Pictured below are Takuya and Kuni, modeling their personal favorite Edward Green models. Takuya’s Beaulieus have aged quite dramatically since he first purchased them in 2008. They have become lighter and redder in tone whereas Kuni’s Fromes have aged darker with the help of dark burgundy and black waxes and creams."

egb11.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
They offend your teutonic judgment?

How base!

i'm not a single bit teutonic. don't tell your geography teacher...

it's the artificial antiquing that turns me off. horses for courses, nvm.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Care to explain why?
besides the terrible rippling on both, the antiquing is not my cuppa, either artificial or not.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Because they are not black bluchers
eh.gif

thanks for playing.

fail, sorry

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Your judgment, however, is. (teutonic..)

not at all, nvm.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
besides the terrible rippling on both, the antiquing is not my cuppa, either artificial or not.

I don't see any rippling apart from what you see normally. I'd say that those shoes fit their owners quite well - not as good as you see in bespoke, but as good as you can get in RTW.

Do you always use neutral wax for your shoes, G? And can you really avoid the change in leather color that happens naturally with polishing? Infact people like this so much that they try to impart this artificially (which mostly looks terrible).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
egb11.jpg

There's something that looks off on these pictures, particularly the guy on the right. It looks like he has tiny feet, probably due to the trousers leg opening being a bit wide for such a sleek and close-cut shoe. The Beaulieu side looks more harmonious.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
There's something that looks off on these pictures, particularly the guy on the right. It looks like he has tiny feet, probably due to the trousers leg opening being a bit wide for such a sleek and close-cut shoe. The Beaulieu side looks more harmonious.

Those trouser openings are wide !?
eh.gif
eh.gif
I thought they were smaller.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see any rippling apart from what you see normally. I'd say that those shoes fit their owners quite well - not as good as you see in bespoke, but as good as you can get in RTW.
if you think so...
Do you always use neutral wax for your shoes, G? And can you really avoid the change in leather color that happens naturally with polishing? Infact people like this so much that they try to impart this artificially (which mostly looks terrible).
first of all, i choose the shoes in the colour i prefer, than i use the wax closest to the colour of my shoes. yes, over the time they develop some natural patina. i like this... neutral wax darkens the leather. that is common knowledge... to be honest, i'm doing a "foster" bleach with natural sunlight on a thrifted pair of black scotchgrain wingtip derbys. it's a nice experiment. i never would let acetone touch my shoes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads