• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brunch - New York City

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember the days when Freemans was good...One of the best brunches I've experienced.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I remember the days when Freemans was good...One of the best brunches I've experienced.

Freemans has to be the most stable kitchen in NYC. Same menu as always, putting out the same food. Surprised by your comment. I go there regularly as one of my neighborhood spots and haven't noticed any change.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went there about a year ago with Mauro, Whodini, and Fok and we all loved it. About two months afterwards Mauro and myself returned and were pretty disappointed because they were missing many items on the menu, could not make certain cocktails, and the food was pretty blah. We had given them a couple of chances afterwards but continued to be disappointed.

Maybe we just have bad luck? I had such a good experience the first time I would be willing to give them another shot.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Went there about a year ago with Mauro, Whodini, and Fok and we all loved it. About two months afterwards Mauro and myself returned and were pretty disappointed because they were missing many items on the menu, could not make certain cocktails, and the food was pretty blah. We had given them a couple of chances afterwards but continued to be disappointed.

Maybe we just have bad luck? I had such a good experience the first time I would be willing to give them another shot.

Interesting. Bad luck three times in a row is pretty bad - certainly enough to give up on a spot. I've never had back luck there. always seem to order the same stuff and it always tastes the same (devils on horseback, artichoke dip, banana foster...) - it's comfort food IMO, not very inspired cuisine but it hits the spot.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comfort food is exactly what I look for in brunch, and Freemans nailed it. I really liked the Chipped Beef and skillet eggs. Once when we had gone there the host told us we should go to the Vinegar Hill House in Dumbo instead because the chef had left Freemans and started her own restaurant and it was "better." That was pretty surprising.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second that on the comfort food. Here are a few options:

Freemans -- good spot, at least when I've gone.
Mesa Grill -- Bobby Flay's place. Brunch is actually pretty affordable
Essex -- never had a bad brunch there, though there's always a line
Clinton Street Baking Company -- people are obsessed with their blueberry pancakes; also always a line
Applewood (Park Slope) -- great food; had a rabbit omelet there that was amazing
Egg (Williamsburg) -- they glaze their bacon, 'nuff said
La Esquina -- best chilaquiles I've had, though you could easily split them with someone else
Cafe Mogador -- great Moroccan spot and my favorite eggs florentine anywhere (good tea as well)

v.freeman

Reaction score
Cafe Mogodor is solid. Essex is good too, but expect huge lines.

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Pastis: Food is good, atmosphere can be hit or miss depending on your taste, prices are $2-3 above average per plate due to the LW12th locale

+1 to Pastis

I'd also add The Little Owl in the Village, pretty much hit one or the other every time I'm in NYC for the weekend.

lilcram

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stanton Social - expensive & tiny portions but very tasty. Highly recommend the french onion soup dumplings...mmmmmmm

gnowad

Reaction score
weekend brunch in NYC makes me
ffffuuuu.gif

Extra Virgin - get the french toast
Prune - Dutch pancake
Le Barricou (Williamsburg) - pain au chocolat baskets mmmm

lim's

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I second that on the comfort food. Here are a few options:

Freemans -- good spot, at least when I've gone.
Mesa Grill -- Bobby Flay's place. Brunch is actually pretty affordableEssex -- never had a bad brunch there, though there's always a line
Clinton Street Baking Company -- people are obsessed with their blueberry pancakes; also always a line
Applewood (Park Slope) -- great food; had a rabbit omelet there that was amazing
Egg (Williamsburg) -- they glaze their bacon, 'nuff said
La Esquina -- best chilaquiles I've had, though you could easily split them with someone else
Cafe Mogador -- great Moroccan spot and my favorite eggs florentine anywhere (good tea as well)

I would vote against Mesa Grill. Total tourist trap. Food was good about ten years ago. It's not the same anymore. Flay is grossly overrated as are his restaurants.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the impression that's the conventional wisdom these days. People think he's overexposed and overrated. But I've never had anything but a great meal at Mesa. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been several times in the past year and the food has been consistently very good. It's not on par with some of the finer restaurants in NYC, but then it's not trying to be. It's a casual, comfortable place that falls somewhere between your average NYC restaurant (La Esquina or some place like that) and a high-end dining experience. Maybe if you're going all out for dinner I would say save the cash and go to Le Bernardin, but for lunch or brunch it's definitely worth it. Given a choice between Mesa and peers like Rosa Mexicano or Dos Caminos, I'll usually choose Mesa.

Originally Posted by lim's
I would vote against Mesa Grill. Total tourist trap. Food was good about ten years ago. It's not the same anymore. Flay is grossly overrated as are his restaurants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads