• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Smart Casual" 10-year High School Reunion: POAL

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My 10-year high school reunion is next month. The stipulated dress is "smart casual." I don't think I have any casual clothes that count as "smart". Also, from my understanding "smart casual" is more of a prescriptive uniform than a level of formality, as it really just means to wear an untucked shirt and a pair of jeans. Beyond my personal distaste for not tucking in shirts, I don't have any shirts that would look right untucked to begin with.

The short of it is that I'm going to wear a navy suit. My wife is going to wear a short dress, so at least we'll stick out together (most of the women will show up in jeans, I'm guessing). I don't want to wear an odd jacket because they seem much more day-oriented, and this event is going to be in the evening at a downtown bar/lounge.

Now for the tough questions: should I wear a white shirt or a blue shirt? What tie? I briefly considered not wearing one, but I refuse to dress Obama. Needless to say, I've already decided what I'm going to wear, but I thought I'd put it to the forum anyway.

Mostly, I'm curious about what you would do and what your take is on my approach. The thought of going out to buy clothes that are more appropriate for a "smart casual" event is ludicrous to me. Also, for the love of god, we're all on the cusp of 30. It shouldn't be so weird to wear a jacket and tie for a special occasion. However, I imagine some will consider it rude that I didn't strictly comply with the dress code, or will think I look ridiculous.

What will be the fallout? Not that it changes anything.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really shouldn't wear a suit when 99% will be in jeans.

Can't you just wear a dark odd jacket?

You really don't have jeans? I thought you had some 5EP or something...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My 45rpms are dead. Anyway, I normally would wear them with an OCBD, with a sweater on top if cold. That doesn't count as "smart casual". I don't do anything remotely streetwear.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the suit and tie are already decided, you just need us to decided between white and blue shirt ?

BTW, where is the poal ?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smart casual in my experience is purely code-speak for "hey douchebag guys, just don't wear white NB sneakers, okay???"

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
So, the suit and tie are already decided, you just need us to decided between white and blue shirt ?

BTW, where is the poal ?

I just put it up a moment ago.

Well, I already decided on the shirt. But, yes, I did ask.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, my high school reunion was about 100 feet away from the bar I was drinking in that weekend. I couldn't even be bothered to go.

That said, wear whatever you want. Do you really care about these people?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Didn't you have a thread about this recently in which you said you weren't going? My memory isn't what it used to be.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Didn't you have a thread about this recently in which you said you weren't going? My memory isn't what it used to be.

Maybe I did. I don't know. No sleep.

mdao63

Reaction score
Interesting. In Asia smart casual is trousers + LS shirt. In Hawaii you can get by in short sleeve. You seem to have figured out who you are already (only 10 years out of HS). So be you. Be the suit. Blue shirt.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you became very famous, married a super hot wife, or made enough money that you can retire tomorrow, don't go to HS reunion.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always erred on the side of overdressing, but a suit to a 10 year reunion seems like overkill and as inappropriate as pallbearers wearing sweatshirts and jeans (which I actually witnessed last week). You are all still in your twenties, wear a pair of dark jeans or casual trousers, dark sweater over a subtle checked shirt. Otherwise everyone will think you are there trying to show how successful you have become.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, ye of Esquire fame actually cares what the laymen from High School think?

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Unless you became very famous, married a super hot wife, or made enough money that you can retire tomorrow, don't go to HS reunion.

Runner up Esquire's BDRM, nugga. Fall back.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My 45rpms are dead. Anyway, I normally would wear them with an OCBD, with a sweater on top if cold. That doesn't count as "smart casual". I don't do anything remotely streetwear.

That isn't smart casual? Sounds ideal for the occasion to me.

There's no shortage of great denim in NYC and indigo + cordovan longwings is an excellent look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads