• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can i resurrect these shoes

poissa

Reaction score
You may notice these are AE Strand's that everyone and their mother got on sale. This user did not realize that shoes should be conditioned prior to wearing. I went about 5-10 wears until noticing creasing. I applied Lexol to these last night and another coat this afternoon. Looking for suggestions on the continued process ;-) The second pair is an infrequently pair of Tod's. My excuse is, three years ago, not knowing shoe care. These shoes are seeing their first coats of Lexol today =\\ I'm looking for help at salvaging these pairs. Shedding a tear for my shoes =\\

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
no problem, strip, condition, dye, polish, condition

since i'm lazy and just applied a bunch of conditioner can i just polish / cream these shoes to color. and within a couple of months/ weeks actually get around to stripping the color starting anew?

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What happened to them? Wasn't the Strand reintroduced relatively recently? Even if you never conditioned them at all, they shouldn't look like that.
They are. I purchased them in July... sent them to bnelson to have the sunken toe plates installed. Wore them for the first time on September 15th. These have been worn fewer than ten times, never on consecutive days. My guess, I didn't polish them the after the first five times I've wore them. Never been worn in rain. Not stored in an arid environment. For that matter a pair of AE Park Avenues shoes less wear and tear than these =\\

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
They are. I purchased them in July... sent them to bnelson to have the sunken toe plates installed. Wore them for the first time on September 15th. These have been worn fewer than ten times, never on consecutive days. My guess, I didn't polish them the after the first five times I've wore them. Never been worn in rain. Not stored in an arid environment. For that matter a pair of AE Park Avenues shoes less wear and tear than these =\\

In that case, you should send them back. The finish looks like it's degraded. No amount of conditioner will fix that.

poissa

Reaction score
DocHoliday,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think I should take this up with Nordstrom's or Allen Edmond's? If it is at all possible, they would compensate me for $50 I spent with bnelson. Any chance that will fly?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc's point is: something ELSE is wrong with the finish. Looks like somebody rubbed the he'll out of them with acetone. Actually, it looks vaguely like overworked crust leather.

There's something else wrong there.

pdial

Reaction score
Even if you never conditioned them at all, they shouldn't look like that.

Yep. You don't need to condition new shoes.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Doc's point is: something ELSE is wrong with the finish. Looks like somebody rubbed the he'll out of them with acetone. Actually, it looks vaguely like overworked crust leather.

There's something else wrong there.

This is frustating. I never put any acetone on the leather. The only items to touch my shoe are horsehair brushes, neutral kiwi color and lexol conditioner.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
DocHoliday,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think I should take this up with Nordstrom's or Allen Edmond's? If it is at all possible, they would compensate me for $50 I spent with bnelson. Any chance that will fly?

Definitely take 'em to Nordstrom. Nordie's is known for its customer service.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Tell us more about the towel.

- B

Already being pwned. The towel has been used to buff wax off my motorcycle. Figured I can keep it to keep random junk off the deck. Thanks for inquiring!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Definitely take 'em to Nordstrom. Nordie's is known for its customer service.

Take the towel as well.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads