• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing new here...

IMG00527-20101025-1540.jpg

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Tuesday;3683915 said:
As far as I knew, they were bought out by some Italian investment group who then took the named and made a lot of stupid pronouncements about making the brand on par with VC, PP, and AP. They figured that they had several in-house movement designs and a stock of unused movements, so that made them a true manufacturer. They priced their re-cased movements attractively, but priced them beyond all reason.

This is just what I've heard from other Minerva nerds. I did see the concept pictures from the revamped line, but I've never seen one in the metal or even heard of a single person taking delivery.

As far as them being a deal, they were that. The Pythagore model was around US$1200 new in the mid to late 90s. At some point the company realized that they could get a lot more and bumped the price up to $3000, but people still snapped them up. Not high production pieces, but they definitely had a place in collectors hearts.

If I am not mistaken, Montblanc (via Richemont) then purchased Minerva and their production facilities so today Montblanc watches would be the evolution of Minerva.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You guys have a recommendation on a leather strapmaker? Plain, no particular style, but I'm interested in a honey color and want it in 19mm. Can't seem to find one by the usual makers and I don't want to commission a croc strap for this watch.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

AgentQ

Reaction score
[Cross-post from 'I just a bought a...' in the Fine Living, etc. subforum] Glashütte Original Senator w/ moonphase indicator & power reserve.
WLOku.jpg
ElLDI.jpg
]

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Yes, this is mine. The reflection of the crystal is a real b!tch. Will use a circular polariser to bring out the contrast of the dial.
Gorgeous. I love the simplicity.
Originally Posted by revad
1889 Elgin

6dzbes.jpg

Very nice - we don't see enough pocket watches on here.
Originally Posted by Kappelan
Soviet vintage today
I like this a lot. Who's the maker?
Originally Posted by gdl203
Nothing new here...
Those blued hands are beautiful.
Originally Posted by AgentQ
[Cross-post from 'I just a bought a...' in the Fine Living, etc. subforum]

Glashütte Original Senator w/ moonphase indicator & power reserve.

I like the way it maintains a relatively clean design despite the extra features.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lowering the tone a little with a new watch for wearing with jeans. The Hirsch Medici strap cost nearly as much as the watch (Seiko 5 SKEN61) , but it looks so much better on leather:

SNKE61_Medici.jpg

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Great looking watch, nice size too.

Thank you

Originally Posted by ManofKent
I like this a lot. Who's the maker?

It is Rodina - Родина.

The first soviet watch with auto movement. 1956-1960 years

It was made on the first Moscow watches factory.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
^ awesome hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads