• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Can't we just settle for not messing with kids and sick people?

we don't even need to. Same rule applies as always. Would you say it in a bar?

Would the guy next to you - who - as luck would have it - has a mother who died of breast cancer, because lets face it, any time you say something out loud in public, someone overhears it with exactly the thing you are mocking - beat your ass for it?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
we don't even need to. Same rule applies as always. Would you say it in a bar?

Would the guy next to you - who - as luck would have it - has a mother who died of breast cancer, because lets face it, any time you say something out loud in public, someone overhears it with exactly the thing you are mocking - beat your ass for it?

Yeah but I already agreed messing with sick people was a no go, and not all women are sick. How about no kids, sick people, or mothers? I'm kidding and I know what you mean but I'm sarcastic by nature and it's really easy to keep pushing the line back. Trust me, I'd never mock anything like that, but I'm not about to be sugary sweet either

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Yeah but I already agreed messing with sick people was a no go, and not all women are sick. How about no kids, sick people, or mothers? I'm kidding and I know what you mean but I'm sarcastic by nature and it's really easy to keep pushing the line back. Trust me, I'd never mock anything like that, but I'm not about to be sugary sweet either

Styleforum's never been sugary sweet, but there are limits. Put it this way, what Pennglock wrote wouldn't have gotten him kicked out of a bar. But, on the other hand, if he'd said it in to the wrong person, and gotten his teeth knocked out as a consequence, no one would cry over this orthodontic surgery bills either.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
He wasn't discussing "funding priorities" he was complaining about Breast Cancer awareness month in general, and specifically, it distracting him from a football game. It was pretty douchey. And I like the guy.

Edit: I didn't snitch, by the way. I am just clarifying what was douchey about the OP.

I was away most of last week from my pc because my mother in law passed away from complications arising from her battle with cancer that started in her breast. it was a terrible week, dealing with grief and loss specially for my wife and her family. we got the call early sunday morning, that my mother in law has passed away, and we hurried to the hospital. when we got to her room, she was still there, lifeless and grey but still as pretty as how I knew her. we spent that morning arranging for her funeral and cremation, which was to happen the following saturday morning. we all arranged everything from the wake, to choosing the coffin, and even had to see her when they were fixing her up before putting her in the coffin. the rest of the week was spent grieving, and attending to people who came to pay their last respects. saturday morning, we had a solemn christian ceremony and I had to do a eulogy on behalf of my mother in law's daughters. that afternoon we came back to the crematory to pick up her remains, placed it in a metal box which I carried and brought back to her house.

but you know what, I hope the op had gotten over these distractions that ruins it for him. I do hope these BC advocates be more sensitive to the feelings of football fans who must not be bothered with trivial **** like cancer.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
but you know what, I hope the op had gotten over these distractions that ruins it for him. I do hope these BC advocates be more sensitive to the feelings of football fans who must not be bothered with trivial **** like cancer.
iknorite? in the grand scheme of things its obviously games > life

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Guys, cancer in general is a very serious topic. We have folks here who have lost women in their lives due to breast CA or have women in their lives fighting it. I have made no secret my brother is going to (eventually) die from his prostate CA. Penn's OP was certainly dubious but it actually fueled a conversation that educated some people on rampant myths regarding funding and ramuman posted a good talk on what metrics could be used for research/treatment.

So what I'm saying is, some good came out of something questionable. While I can see why Penn is feeling a bit butthurt, in the grand scheme of things, the mods did not lock the thread (which would have stopped the edifying conversation part) and no blood was shed.

Win/win.

I would caution Penn to go with the flow on this as we have never been under the illusion this is a democracy nor subject to First Amendment protections.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the bar anology is kinda stupid. if you say something in a bar that pisses someone off, and they decide to make an issue of it. you have the ability to defend yourself either verbally or physically. you cant do that with the mods here or anywhere, b/c the mods have absolute power. what he said as douchey as it may be is his personal opinion. if it offends than ignore the thread dont respond and let it sink and die. this bar thing only seems to arise when its something that personally offends the mod team.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
i think the bar anology is kinda stupid. if you say something in a bar that pisses someone off, and they decide to make an issue of it. you have the ability to defend yourself either verbally or physically. you cant do that with the mods here or anywhere, b/c the mods have absolute power. what he said as douchey as it may be is his personal opinion. if it offends than ignore the thread dont respond and let it sink and die. this bar thing only seems to arise when its something that personally offends the mod team.

Don't like it? Leave. Nobody's begging you to stay.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Don't like it? Leave. Nobody's begging you to stay.
While I'm sure that Blackfyre is very grateful that you released him from the eternal bond that tied him to SF, I'd like to point you to the principles of open discourse that form the basis of a forum see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum which derives from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_(legal) Especially, in this thread, where we try to determine the boundaries of what constitutes free speech, a more constructive approach might prove more useful.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
While I'm sure that Blackfyre is very grateful that you released him from the eternal bond that tied him to SF, I'd like to point you to the principles of open discourse that form the basis of a forum

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum
which derives from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_(legal)

Especially, in this thread, where we try to determine the boundaries of what constitutes free speech, a more constructive approach might prove more useful.

Neither you nor Blackfyre own, run, host, or in any way manage the forum. Free speech does not apply in nongovernmental entities. So, again, if j/fok/m@t don't want you saying something, either put up with it and follow their rules, or stfu and get out. It's really quite cut-and-dry.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Neither you nor Blackfyre own, run, host, or in any way manage the forum. Free speech does not apply in nongovernmental entities. So, again, if j/fok/m@t don't want you saying something, either put up with it and follow their rules, or stfu and get out. It's really quite cut-and-dry.

i dont give a sizzled **** one way or the other. i just stated how i felt.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
While I'm sure that Blackfyre is very grateful that you released him from the eternal bond that tied him to SF, I'd like to point you to the principles of open discourse that form the basis of a forum

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum
which derives from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_(legal)

Especially, in this thread, where we try to determine the boundaries of what constitutes free speech, a more constructive approach might prove more useful.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Forum#Full_of_Win

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Fair enough, but that's the problem with editing the OP but leaving the thread intact - it ends up confusing everyone that didn't see the OP, especially considering that Penn doesn't have a reputation for douchery.

In retrospect, I should have kept a copy of the OP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads