• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky
Is there a huge difference to buying from theshoemarket as opposed to somewhere else?
The biggest pro from theshoemart is that (if you're buying out of state from their location), there is no tax and shipping is always free. Their return policy is also great, 365 days from the initial date in which you receive the shoes.
Originally Posted by Newstyle
Does anyone have any experience with the J. Crew Alden longwing waxed bluchers. I really like this style but I can only find it at this price-point ($465) offered through J. Crew. If I were to go into an Alden retailer may they have this style at this price? I'll be in San Francisco on Nov. 1 and might have to stop into the Alden store there. Or is it worth it to just get on the waitlist for J. Crew and wait a month for the shipment.
I waited for the tobacco colorway, I think I waited around 2 months for it. I recently put in another order for the dark brown colorway. There was no waiting for that one, I'm expecting them to get in in a couple of days.

Theshoemart has several Longwings, but the sizings are quite limited and they're a bit more than the J. Crew's.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Why don't you just get on the J. Crew waitlist now and cancel if you see something better in SF next week?

Haha that is a good idea.

Walking Man

Reaction score
How long does it usually take to break in the Indys? I wore mine for the fifth or sixth time yesterday and after a few hours of walking/standing around my feet were hurting. I'm asking this because I'm considering wearing an insole or should I just break them in more?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had any issues with hurting feet on any of 3 pairs of Indys I own. I think you are having fit problems.
Originally Posted by Walking Man
How long does it usually take to break in the Indys? I wore mine for the fifth or sixth time yesterday and after a few hours of walking/standing around my feet were hurting. I'm asking this because I'm considering wearing an insole or should I just break them in more?

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
The biggest pro from theshoemart is that (if you're buying out of state from their location), there is no tax and shipping is always free. Their return policy is also great, 365 days from the initial date in which you receive the shoes.

I waited for the tobacco colorway, I think I waited around 2 months for it. I recently put in another order for the dark brown colorway. There was no waiting for that one, I'm expecting them to get in in a couple of days.

Theshoemart has several Longwings, but the sizings are quite limited and they're a bit more than the J. Crew's.

Yeah the showmart has longwings but the are around$150 more, albeit a bit nicer but I'm already stretching myself to get these. Did you get the tobacco colorway, and do you like it? On the J. Crew website the color looks different in two different pictures, so I'm having trouble pinning down the color.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the showmart has longwings but the are around$150 more, albeit a bit nicer but I'm already stretching myself to get these. Did you get the tobacco colorway, and do you like it? On the J. Crew website the color looks different in two different pictures, so I'm having trouble pinning down the color.

The shoemart longwings are shell whereas the J Crew ones are calf.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Alden makes a standard stock calf longwing.
However there are plenty of calf versions out there in addition to the J Crew ones.
Winn Perry has some on their site.

There have been pictures of the J Crew ones posted. Search around.
I think they were in a different thread than this.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
The shoemart longwings are shell whereas the J Crew ones are calf.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Alden makes a standard stock calf longwing.
However there are plenty of calf versions out there in addition to the J Crew ones.
Winn Perry has some on their site.

There have been pictures of the J Crew ones posted. Search around.
I think they were in a different thread than this.

Well unfortunately their smallest size in the Alden double Waterlock Longwing in walnut grain are available in a 9.5. Are there any other sites besides shoemart, blackbird, and leathersoul that carry these longwings at this pricepoint?

sockpuppets

Reaction score

jcrew has a 20% off online purchases coupon that can be used on the aldens.
teacha.gif

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Walking Man

Do you have wide feet? Did you size down? Which indys, are they shell?

iotan

Reaction score
Well unfortunately their smallest size in the Alden double Waterlock Longwing in walnut grain are available in a 9.5. Are there any other sites besides shoemart, blackbird, and leathersoul that carry these longwings at this pricepoint?

You could get on shoemarts seconds list or call them and see if they have the longwings you are interested in on it. I have seen what appear to me to be the jcrew longwings on the seconds list a few times.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
teacha.gif

Yeah i'm kinda leaning thowards this. It seems easier through J. Crew. I'm just a little weary on the color. Is it just me or do they seem a bit orange?

Walking Man

Reaction score
Do you have wide feet? Did you size down? Which indys, are they shell?

They're the Ultimate Indys and I did size down. The last time I was measured I was a size 10D so I bought them in a 9.5D. I'm thinking it's just due to the large toe box and my boney foot moving around when I walk. I'll try them with insole inserts and see how my feet feel afterwards.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4

If you check their website returns are for 90 days. 365 days no longer.

Bartolo

Reaction score
teacha.gif

Would you mind reposting the coupon code? Thanks!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
thats a great color, well done sir.

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads