• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF in SF: An Evening with the Glasers

emptym

Reaction score
Myron Glaser of Glaser Designs has kindly accepted our request to host us for an hour or so tour of his small factory. As always, anyone is welcome, new or old. It'll be: Wednesday, Nov. 17 at 7:00 pm. at 1435 Folsom Street I'm very excited about this. The Glasers are wonderful hosts: totally down to earth and extremely generous with the kind of knowledge that comes from decades spend in the relentless pursuit of excellence. A couple times I've stopped by to take a look at their shop, and after the first time, I wrote this:
Originally Posted by emptym
I visited the Glasers today. Had a wonderful time. Myron, Kari, and Ely (father, mother, son) spent 2 hrs showing me their workshop and showroom. They explained the thinking behind many of the designs. Brilliant stuff. Pictures don't do their products justice. In fact, handling the products themselves doesn't do their products justice. First, because of the intelligence and commitment behind their designs. The Glasers think about everything: where the components come from, the merits and demerits of various hides, fabrics, and trimmings, who will use the products for what and for how often. And secondly, because of how well the bags age. They had a few old ones around and they are gorgeous. The new ones look like nothing compared to the old ones, and the new ones look pretty great already. Probably the only way to appreciate one of their bags is to use one. One day, I will probably get a bag, and probably a carry-on. I'm going back on Thurs to show them some bags I have they were interested in seeing. Thanks for bringing them to my attention, NorCal_1.
Will's written about them (w/ pics) on ASW a few times and much better than I could. And in case you're not familiar with their bags, here's a pic of one from NorCal_1's thread:
Flaptop-1.jpg
Afterwards, I'm sure Binge, Matt, or one of the other epicures among us will suggest a suitable place in the area to have dinner.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, I will have to try and make it down.

Gong Tao

Reaction score
Very sorry that I will be on the wrong continent on that date.

If the Glasers have offshored any production to the Pearl River Delta area, I could arrange a simultaneous tour of their facility there.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Count me in. Looking forward to it.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Sounds like fun, I will have to try and make it down.
Should be worth it. Myron Glazer's excited about it and will be very informative.
Originally Posted by Tarmac
00 for dinner?
Could be good. .9 miles from the Glazer's acc. to the Google maps.
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
I'm in
Maybe you could bring your bag(s) to show how they age.
Originally Posted by Gong Tao
Very sorry that I will be on the wrong continent on that date. If the Glasers have offshored any production to the Pearl River Delta area, I could arrange a simultaneous tour of their facility there.
Shucks. Will you be visiting the Armory and other HK delights?
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'll await to see if Vox is making it before I commit.
It think it's time to enter the "no phase."
Originally Posted by Chips
Count me in. Looking forward to it.
Will be great to see you, T.
Originally Posted by binge
Word.
Should be almost as fun as last night. Actually, more.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Myron is very nice and quote talkative. Just ask him about removing his label from his bags.
stirpot.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Myron is very nice and quote talkative. Just ask him about removing his label from his bags.
stirpot.gif

Seeing as the bags are made to order, I'm interested to learn whether Glaser would take offense to a request not to include the stamped logo on the outside of the bag. I think a willingness to accomodate such a request would be a plus. The beauty of the bag should speak for itself, and may actually prompt people to ask about its provenance. Perhaps a different sort of marketing.

aldica

Reaction score
They make indiscructable luggage. They are wonderful people and stand behind their products completely. I only with they would adopt wheels.

Gong Tao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Will you be visiting the Armory and other HK delights?

Yup, planning to go to Chan, Peter Lee, Zee's, and the Armoury.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Seeing as the bags are made to order, I'm interested to learn whether Glaser would take offense to a request not to include the stamped logo on the outside of the bag. I think a willingness to accomodate such a request would be a plus. The beauty of the bag should speak for itself, and may actually prompt people to ask about its provenance. Perhaps a different sort of marketing.

FYI that emoticon was to say I was joking. He seemed kinda peeved about removing his label. I didn't follow that thread. Was there resolution?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
FYI that emoticon was to say I was joking. He seemed kinda peeved about removing his label. I didn't follow that thread. Was there resolution?

If leaving off the logo is an option, I'm suggesting it is worth asking at the meet-up.
If it is obviously a sensitive issue, then I wouldn't want to antagonize the man. I didn't know either way what his views are - I didn't know there was already a discussion in another thread addressing this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads