• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit - best value suit and where to buy

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Jacket waist suppression: $18-50
Shorten the sleeves: $10-25
Shorten pants: same as sleeves
Pant waist: $10-25

Prices depend on how many tailors there are in your city and how busy that particular tailor is.

If you are relatively slim and get a Fitzgerald cut, you'll not have to worry much about waist suppression.

And often Brooks' "in-house" tailors will not charge as much as your own (if they charge at all).

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisguyneedsasuit
I am in the market for a new suit. I need to know the best quality suit at an affordable price. I don't want to buy off the internet or go to search through outlet stores and try to get lucky. I prefer a retailer that has the suit readily available. The suit can be $100 dollars or if I get more bang for the buck it can be as much a $500. The price can be the retail price or the sale price the suit is commonly on sale for. I need to know the price, the store, and the brand/line of the suit. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by jcriswel
To answer the OP's question, I think Samuelsohn delivers the most bang for the buck. First, their price points are within reason of the ordinary man. Many of you have recommended Huntsman, Rubinacci, etc. I understand your sentiments, but that's a bespoke option and not within reach of 99.99% of men who wish to buy a suit.

Of the affordable options, Samuelsohn stands alone in my mind for delivering quality construction, style, and affordable price points.

I don't have the patience to to search the clearance racks. Once I need more then one suit and learn more about suits in general I will start looking at used. I think I have decided on BB or Ralph Lauren if I can get them around $500.
Would this shoe be appropriate for an interview?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

Alright... you want value. I sincerely believe one of the best places to find value is Sierra Trading Post. Usually, they have a good assortment of Samuelsohn suits and sports jackets. For some reason, their inventory in Samuelsohn is a bit lean now. Arnold Brant is another good Canadian clothing manufacturer. Please consider this from Sierra Trading Post for $358...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...a-For-Men.html

I don't think you're going to find more bang for the buck anywhere.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by supersan7
Likewise many on here rant against the BB outlets, but I spoke to the manager of the local BB here today and he said he ran an outlet for 8 years and most people can't tell the diff b/t his outlet BB and his retail BB. He said they're having a 40% off sale at the outlet (at least the one near me) and that you can get a good one for $250 or $300. Good luck.

The fact that the manager of the local BB says most people can't tell the difference between outlet and regular BB means nothing unless you believe that most people can tell the difference between good clothing and junk. The truth is most people in the US can't. So they buy the junk, and then when it loses its shape or starts to fall apart they go buy more new junk.

I bought a 346 outlet suit once and the pants started to come apart at the seam within a few weeks. For some reason, the suit also just looked so much worse than a suit in the exact same style and size (Olive poplin) that I had bought from the regular store a few years earlier. I ended up donating the 346 model to Goodwill.

Maybe I just got a bad apple but I still remember once asking a BB outlet store worker what some of the differences were between outlet and regular lines and he mentioned that outlet models have double-needle stitching instead of single. He then said that this meant they were better because there was twice as much stitching.

I believe that is not a correct statement of the facts, to put it mildly.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
most people can't tell the difference between good clothing and junk. The truth is most people in the US can't. So they buy the junk, and then when it loses its shape or starts to fall apart they go buy more new junk.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

bigj93702

Reaction score
I was told by a guy who is very GQ - well, GQ for Fresno CA, that is... that the look and feel of a great mans suit is demonstrated by:

Watching Jay Leno and David Letterman monologues. Since you can see them pace around the stage, lift up their arms and walk around, then sit with the suit jacket un=buttoned, that these two guys demonstrate a perfect fit.

johnvw

Reaction score
Used. Period.

After alterations, you can get an Oxxford for under $300. Try and tell me you can find a better deal than that. That Oxxford is going to outlast any fused POS you can get at MW, Macy's, Dillard's, JAB, etc, etc.

Yes, its used; so if you have some stigma against used clothing your SOL. Go buy new stuff and pay the retailers their huge cut. Best value for your money is probably ebay. I hear Wizard of Aaahs's stuff is great for the price. Fully canvassed w/ pick stitching (prolly machine) for under $300? Pretty darn good.

edit:

Didn't read closely enough. Probably due to alcohol consumption.

Your not going to get a good bang for your dollar if your going to pay retail. Wait for a Joseph A Banks sale and get one of their Executive suits. Thats probably the cheapest and best way to get A suit.

This is a good point. However, a Signature or Sig. Gold suit at 70% off during one of JAB's sales would be a higher-end choice for around $250-$350.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigj93702
then sit with the suit jacket un=buttoned, that these two guys demonstrate a perfect fit.

No.

fair and balanc

Reaction score
Jos. A Bank is very affordable. But you need to be very specifc witth hem that you want a good suite. I ended up with something I am not happy with.
Stay away from their most affordable lines. They just do not wear well through a long day of work. Shop during their sales and only buy their premium brands. They often have 70% off.

Lord and Taylor has a nice private label brand called Black and White.

Brooks Brothers is not affordable. Unless you are making 300 K a year. Even then i ti shard to justify 1000 $ for a suite that could be ruined by a cranky moth or a filthy train. . I just wont do it.

XFactor

Reaction score
Used. Period. After alterations, you can get an Oxxford for under $300. Try and tell me you can find a better deal than that. That Oxxford is going to outlast any fused POS you can get at MW, Macy's, Dillard's, JAB, etc, etc. Yes, its used; so if you have some stigma against used clothing your SOL. Go buy new stuff and pay the retailers their huge cut. Best value for your money is probably ebay. I hear Wizard of Aaahs's stuff is great for the price. Fully canvassed w/ pick stitching (prolly machine) for under $300? Pretty darn good. edit: Didn't read closely enough. Probably due to alcohol consumption. Your not going to get a good bang for your dollar if your going to pay retail. Wait for a Joseph A Banks sale and get one of their Executive suits. Thats probably the cheapest and best way to get A suit.

+1 on M. Valentino from Wizard of Ahhhs.

If you want to spend $5000+ for a suit and wait 6 month to a year, then go for Huntsman or Rubinacci as some have mentioned here.

OP doesn't want to order from the internet, so Wizard of Aahhs probably would not help him.

Syms, Macys and JosABank may be a start for your budget. Brooks Brothers will be a step up in terms of quality if you don't mind spending a little extra.

For your price range, I would see if you can find a hart schaffner marx suit on sale either at Syms or Dilliards. They are made in the USA and although they are going to be fused unless it is from the Gold Trumper line, it will probably be better than most other suits in that price range. However their cut is fairly boxy to accomodate the average American.

Thanks for all of the information so far. As I read more I understand that JAB, BB, and others suit with retail prices of less then $500 are not the best, but I think I can find a suit in the range and be better dressed then most people. What price range is a good sale price for a JAB signature gold or a BB suit? BB currently has numberous suits on sale for 499.
Please do not put BB and JAB in the same category. BB is leagues above JAB and has far superior material, worksmanship, and tradition of excellence to back it up (all the way up to customer service). That is a good deal for a BB suit if not quite a steal. If you're younger you may want to look into the Black Fleece line, but that is significantly pricier. If i'm buying straight from a brick and mortar store, Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren are all I consider. Above those are MTM or bespoke, but below those are generally mediocrity. In America at least. edit: Oh Hickey Freeman is good too but better to go through a discount store for those

Originally Posted by rgoldstein
I understand that the places I've suggested are not exactly purveyors of the finest tailoring (I would argue with you about JAB, but thats off topic), but I have never found fault with their products for what I use them for (solid suiting for places where you need to look professional but total, utter quality is not as much of an issue). If you dig for what you want and bother to get it altered to fit you nobody will know the difference, and you'll still look better than 90% of the people you come across if you know how to put it all together. Thats all I'm saying. It would help to know what he will be using it for. True, everyone needs a Rubinacci, Canali, Giorgio Armani, MTM etc. in their closet at some point, but find me a guy who considers them practical.
I an likewise just out of college (well, 3 years out now, but still in grad school). But even so, with a emphasis on the time-cost of JAB v. Brooks, JAB can't hold a candle. Their suits are ugly terrible mass produced Chinese monstrosities of poor quality and fit. Brooks 1818, on the other hand, is of a decent construction and will likely last until the OP outgrows it.
From the informaton provided and further reading in other threads I think I am going with JAB or BB. One reason I think these may be the best option is because I need a sales staff that is educated on the subject since I know very little. I have learned a lot reading the forum, but when I get in the store I know I am going to have a lot of questions. I need a new suit that is good for interviews and weddings. I thinking about gray or charcoal with a discreet pinstripe. A plain suit seems so boring and this is coming from a conservative person. Would a discreet pinstipe be a issue for an interview suit? It appears BB is about twice as much as JAB. In general will the appearance (fit and construction) of BB worth the price difference?
JAB is garbage. Don't even consider it, or let their "Buy One Get Two Free" siren's song entice you. Just think about the markup - JAB is still making money @ three suits for the price of one. The quality is atrocious. Get a BB 1818 after Jan 5th. Get a solid charcoal or navy. It's absolutely worth it.
Damn right it is. BB is on sale right now. BB is half canvas construction, has better stitching, nicer lapels, nicer fabrics, and generally a more knowledgeable staff. JAB has.... sales. All the ******* time....
facepalm.gif

I will say it again, JAB is garbage.

Why should I wait until the 5th to buy a 1818 suit? Currently the suits are 30% off through the 4th. Will there be a deeper discount on the 5th?
Does anyone know how often BB has suit sales and the usual discounts?

Many people on SF seem to like to rip JAB. Fwiw, my pop owned Armani, Barberi and other nice suits, ran a 3,000 person company that went public on Wall St. and later sold his shares to make a large bundle and he has said 5 times he thinks JAB suits are good and thinks the people attacking them on here are full of it. My brother lives in Park Slope, a pricey neighborhood in Brooklyn and makes maybe $400k a year and he told me today he's bought every suit the last 18 years at JAB, and that he knows bankers in NYC and others who buy suits there. He just bought 2 there last year and he does the mid-range ones and not the Gold. He has to meet with some fairly important folks occasionally and he's extremely successful. I only bring up their particulars to give context, not to brag (nobody knows me on here due to user name so it's not possible to brag, nor any reason to impress anyone). I only say it so you don't think they're some average joes. My sister in law is very into fashion (probably amongst the most of people I know) and brands - and she likes his suits. I myself know very little about suits, yet for a practical suit, JABs seem fine. The other thing to consider is this: suit fashions (lapel sizes etc.) change fairly quickly so whatever you get is going to be out of fashion in I'd guess 5-8 years so the whole thing of "great construction that will last you a lifetime" that some people on here play up may not matter all that much as it's likely going to be out of style soon anyway. My Dad retired and has 15 suits in his closet. I tried to find some that would work for me, and only 2 out of 15 were still in fashion. You might well find better deals or value with putting a lot of time in searching clearance racks etc. but it seems the JAB 3 for 1 provides value if you need 3 suits. Obviously their retail is very high so don't do full retail of course. I just went to the BB site where the 50% off sale already began for 1818s and there are only a tiny # of sizes - mostly huge ones. Maybe the stores will have more, but if they are similar to the site, it looks like a waste of time. I came close to doing the Marco Valentino and other online deals, though my bro pointed out 2 key things: 1 is that you have to try them on in person. I've tried 12 on in stores the last 2 days, and half or more right away aren't right for my body. So if you order a suit online you've never tried in person, 50/50 you're paying shipping each way on it. Second thing he said is that you'll pay a lot less for tailoring at a store if you buy it there than going to a tailor, so it seems that is a plus of BB, JAB and stores with tailors. Also a guy on a thread I started 1 day ago said RL store has a 1,400 suit on sale now for 400 if you like navy or gray pinstripes that I think he said was on par with 1818, and 1818 at half off is still 450 or 500 I think. Check out the thread - it's the only 1 under my username. Likewise many on here rant against the BB outlets, but I spoke to the manager of the local BB here today and he said he ran an outlet for 8 years and most people can't tell the diff b/t his outlet BB and his retail BB. He said they're having a 40% off sale at the outlet (at least the one near me) and that you can get a good one for $250 or $300. Good luck.

Basically, just get something that fits, no matter where you buy it. JAB is perfectly good suiting. Plenty of stylish, affluent people shop there. You don't even have to spend 1000 bucks to get a solid suit. This message board's threshold of "crap" is much, much higher than your average well dressed dude. There's absolutely no shame in buying from JAB, and yeah they generally have some sick-ass sale going on. 3 Suits for 400 bucks? I don't give a **** who you are. Thats a damn good deal.

To answer the OP's question, I think Samuelsohn delivers the most bang for the buck. First, their price points are within reason of the ordinary man. Many of you have recommended Huntsman, Rubinacci, etc. I understand your sentiments, but that's a bespoke option and not within reach of 99.99% of men who wish to buy a suit.

Of the affordable options, Samuelsohn stands alone in my mind for delivering quality construction, style, and affordable price points.

Originally Posted by rgoldstein
Basically, just get something that fits, no matter where you buy it.

JAB is perfectly good suiting. Plenty of stylish, affluent people shop there. You don't even have to spend 1000 bucks to get a solid suit. This message board's threshold of "crap" is much, much higher than your average well dressed dude. There's absolutely no shame in buying from JAB, and yeah they generally have some sick-ass sale going on. 3 Suits for 400 bucks? I don't give a **** who you are. Thats a damn good deal.

I bought 3x Hickey Freeman fully canvassed suits for less than that. JAB cannot beat that. Of course, they were used, but I don't care.

However, if I was truly patient, I can nab NWT Hickey Freeman, Joseph Aboud, Boss, Burberry, HSM suits for $100. I'm not that patient, nor do I want to deal with them not having my size or color.

JAB is only cheap if you want the retail experience. If your willing to go clearance diving, you can get much much better for the same price.

Originally Posted by Willie5566
I checked out some of BB suite's online. What can one expect to pay for altering? Just trying to get the whole picture. Thanks.

Jacket waist suppression: $18-50
Shorten the sleeves: $10-25
Shorten pants: same as sleeves
Pant waist: $10-25

Prices depend on how many tailors there are in your city and how busy that particular tailor is.

I am in the market for a new suit. I need to know the best quality suit at an affordable price. I don't want to buy off the internet or go to search through outlet stores and try to get lucky. I prefer a retailer that has the suit readily available. The suit can be $100 dollars or if I get more bang for the buck it can be as much a $500. The price can be the retail price or the sale price the suit is commonly on sale for. I need to know the price, the store, and the brand/line of the suit. Thanks for the help!
Originally Posted by jcriswel

I don't have the patience to to search the clearance racks. Once I need more then one suit and learn more about suits in general I will start looking at used. I think I have decided on BB or Ralph Lauren if I can get them around $500.
Would this shoe be appropriate for an interview?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

Alright... you want value. I sincerely believe one of the best places to find value is Sierra Trading Post. Usually, they have a good assortment of Samuelsohn suits and sports jackets. For some reason, their inventory in Samuelsohn is a bit lean now. Arnold Brant is another good Canadian clothing manufacturer. Please consider this from Sierra Trading Post for $358...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...a-For-Men.html

I don't think you're going to find more bang for the buck anywhere.

I'm strongly considering buying a suit from Wizard of Aahs on ebay. Andy from AskAndy gave a very favorable review of the Baroni line. I believe the Baroni line has now changed to Daniele. The prices seem almost too good to be true.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/C...ysAnalysis.htm

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Wizard-of-Aahs

Does anyone have any actual experience buying these off ebay?

Used. Period.

After alterations, you can get an Oxxford for under $300. Try and tell me you can find a better deal than that. That Oxxford is going to outlast any fused POS you can get at MW, Macy's, Dillard's, JAB, etc, etc.

Yes, its used; so if you have some stigma against used clothing your SOL. Go buy new stuff and pay the retailers their huge cut. Best value for your money is probably ebay. I hear Wizard of Aaahs's stuff is great for the price. Fully canvassed w/ pick stitching (prolly machine) for under $300? Pretty darn good.

edit:

Didn't read closely enough. Probably due to alcohol consumption.

Your not going to get a good bang for your dollar if your going to pay retail. Wait for a Joseph A Banks sale and get one of their Executive suits. Thats probably the cheapest and best way to get A suit.

This is a good point. However, a Signature or Sig. Gold suit at 70% off during one of JAB's sales would be a higher-end choice for around $250-$350.

Jos. A Bank is very affordable. But you need to be very specifc witth hem that you want a good suite. I ended up with something I am not happy with.
Stay away from their most affordable lines. They just do not wear well through a long day of work. Shop during their sales and only buy their premium brands. They often have 70% off.

Lord and Taylor has a nice private label brand called Black and White.

Brooks Brothers is not affordable. Unless you are making 300 K a year. Even then i ti shard to justify 1000 $ for a suite that could be ruined by a cranky moth or a filthy train. . I just wont do it.

Very interesting and contrasting views. I am going to remember these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads