• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
These are important books. Once you sift out her quackery, you get to a strong, powerful argument for individualism and capitalism... Is she an extremist? You bet! But scale her back by like 90% and you're left with great books...

BTW, Atlas Shrugged is a lot better than Fountainhead...

The trouble is, it's the quackery seems to be what people respond to the most (like Alan Greenspan).

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just finished King's "Under The Dome" and found it quite enjoyable and one of his better works in past few years.

Can anyone recommend books about similar plot... something like a word devastation or post-apocalyptic...

I heard "The Road" is good, but I saw the movie and didn't think it was too interesting.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
looking-for-genet.gif

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read half of this book on my flight between Hong Kong and Busan today.
Wow! It is sensational. Norwegian wilderness.

51NL3VFhmsL__SS500_.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started reading Elmore Leonard's new book Djibouti. After 40 minutes or so of reading it on Friday, I had already gotten through about 100 pages. It's a great, fast read! This is the first work of his that I've read but after watching Justified on FX last season, I was really interested to check out his writing.
51HRj30vO5L._SS500_.jpg
Leonard actually lives just a couple of streets over from my house and is giving a writer's workshop at one of the local libraries in a couple of weeks. I am not going to pay the $75 for the workshop, but I may try to ambush him outside of the library on his way in get my book autographed.

jesask

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
I just started reading Elmore Leonard's new book Djibouti. After 40 minutes or so of reading it on Friday, I had already gotten through about 100 pages. It's a great, fast read! This is the first work of his that I've read but after watching Justified on FX last season, I was really interested to check out his writing.

51HRj30vO5L._SS500_.jpg

Leonard actually lives just a couple of streets over from my house and is giving a writer's workshop at one of the local libraries in a couple of weeks. I am not going to pay the $75 for the workshop, but I may try to ambush him outside of the library on his way in get my book autographed.

I have loved Elmore Leonard for years. Really great stuff. Written dialogue rarely sounds this natural.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
Read half of this book on my flight between Hong Kong and Busan today.
Wow! It is sensational. Norwegian wilderness.

51NL3VFhmsL__SS500_.jpg

That book sort of sucker-punched me at the end. I found it quite moving.

retroaaron

Reaction score
Just finished "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Now starting "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
These are important books. Once you sift out her quackery, you get to a strong, powerful argument for individualism and capitalism... Is she an extremist? You bet! But scale her back by like 90% and you're left with great books...

BTW, Atlas Shrugged is a lot better than Fountainhead...

I beg to differ. We're talking about books, and the experience of reading. Individuals can differ about the quality of Rand's thinking and the degree of their identity with her outlook. But if you have to scale her overwrought, pedantic, ham-handed prose back by 90% to make it palatable, that by itself tells you it's not a great book.

East2West

Reaction score
Crime and Punishment on my Kindle3.
I think I'm going to go through all the "classic" novels again because most of them are free.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
any good scifi or fantasy books ppl would recommend?
This Dragonlance stuff ain't half bad. Its not exactly George RR Martin, but its getting the job done for my inner nerd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads