• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OakCliff

Reaction score
Here's my first pair of Alden's - full strap slip-on's in pebbled calf. I got them about a month ago.
Pebblepennies-17.jpg
Pebblepennies-12.jpg

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ That is a good point he makes. Both Shoe Mart and the SF Alden Shop have what appear to be live inventory online & searchable by size. That Alden Shop website first appeared in the geocities age, too. It's not unreasonable for customers to assume Leathersoul might have the same ability to sort by size & then cut and paste the results into an email.
I do wish Shoemart would indicate when a style is on back order though.

My first 2 orders from Shoemart went smoothly. I got an email saying my shoes have been shipped on the following business day after the initial order. Last week, I ordered a pair of cap toes..I was wondering why they had a full size run. I thought it was not a popular style. I got an email the next day saying that the shoes are on back order until Feb of 2011.

I don't really mind because I'm not in a rush to get them. But it would be nice to state the information on the shoe's page.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCliff
Here's my first pair of Alden's - full strap slip-on's in pebbled calf. I got them about a month ago.

Pebblepennies-17.jpg

These shoes are very nice and fairly unusual. I like them very much.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the J. Crew Alden longwing waxed bluchers. I really like this style but I can only find it at this price-point ($465) offered through J. Crew. If I were to go into an Alden retailer may they have this style at this price? I'll be in San Francisco on Nov. 1 and might have to stop into the Alden store there. Or is it worth it to just get on the waitlist for J. Crew and wait a month for the shipment.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
For me, Trubalance and Barrie fit the same. I comfortably wear 9E in both. There is some controversy about the fit of these lasts but I believe that for most people there is not enough difference to need a different size. Good luck!
I can now confirm that the Trubalance and Barrie lasts fit similarly. The Indy's above are a 9.5D as are the cap toes;both fit me comfortably. However, the Jumpers are the most comfortable and they are a 9E.

I retract this statement. The Barrie last fits narrower than the Trubalance, although I have heard other accounts claiming the opposite. Based on my experience, I can get away with a 9.5D on the Trubalance (cordovan) despite having wide feet; however, a 9.5D on the Barrie (calf) feels cramped in the forefoot. Not sure if these sizing issues are related to the differences in materials, or if it's just the differences between the lasts.

Based on all the claims that the Trubalance and Barrie lasts were similar, and that the Barrie last was supposed to be even wider than the Trubalance last, I did not expect to encounter any sizing issues. Now I'm saddened that my Barrie lasted boots don't fit satisfactorily
frown.gif

No wonder Tom prefers to sell to customers in person than online!

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
glad it wasn't just me having a problem with barrie and trubalance lol. reminds me i need to redo my reserved size for the indys as long as its not sold out.

joz411no

Reaction score
I retract this statement. The Barrie last fits narrower than the Trubalance, although I have heard other accounts claiming the opposite. Based on my experience, I can get away with a 9.5D on the Trubalance (cordovan) despite having wide feet; however, a 9.5D on the Barrie (calf) feels cramped in the forefoot. Not sure if these sizing issues are related to the differences in materials, or if it's just the differences between the lasts.

Based on all the claims that the Trubalance and Barrie lasts were similar, and that the Barrie last was supposed to be even wider than the Trubalance last, I did not expect to encounter any sizing issues. Now I'm saddened that my Barrie lasted boots don't fit satisfactorily
frown.gif

I do think many have oversimplified the fit of the Barrie and Trubalance lasts. I think what people should just be saying is "Footwear on the Barrie and Trubalance lasts are the most voluminous of Alden's main, widely-available offerings." I much prefer the feel and even look of the Trubalance over the Barrie, for boots. The Trublance toebox is much more bulbous, IMO. I wear the same size in both but that is about as far as I'd go to saying they fit similarly.

OakCliff

Reaction score
chestercopperpot;3730563 said:

Pebblepennies-17.jpg

where did you pick these up?

I got them at H Stockton in Atlanta.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelw
thank you
color 8

Thank you Michael. I need to get a pair of #8. I should have picked them up instead of whiskey.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by michaelw
whiskey lhs
Great shoe! I think a LHS will be my next shoe.
These are very nice. I like that I have never seen them before. Nice grab!

kanukki

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
H,

Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately unlike other Alden retailers, we have very strict restrictions placed on us. So, although it is difficult and frustrating, our blog style website is the only way for us to promote our shoes.

Regardless, rebel is right, our main business is our walk-ins. We have a pretty darn good following here in Hawaii. Our mail order business is great, but we are a true brick and mortar shoe store by heart and actually would never like to be a click and ship type of store like other online retailers.

If anyone would like to order or just inquire about something, it's always easiest to give us a call. We're here in Hawaii 365 days a year, open from 10am-10pm, but normally someone is here between 9am-11pm. LSBH is only open M-Sat 10am-530pm, but has most of the sizes over 10.
laugh.gif

Tom

There are Shoe Marts in this world, and there are Leather Souls. I can't say enough good things about the service I received from Tom's associate Takuya both over repeated emails and when I finally visited the store in Waikiki (and thankful for the late hours when the UPS truck arrived with my V-tips half an hour before I needed to leave for the airport!). He was always friendly, patient and helpful, and I learned a lot about the different Alden models, lasts, and leathers. While it's nice being able to look through a big online inventory on the Shoe Mart site, for me I wouldn't trade it for the kind of personal service that Leather Soul offers.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kanukki
There are Shoe Marts in this world, and there are Leather Souls. I can't say enough good things about the service I received from Tom's associate Takuya both over repeated emails and when I finally visited the store in Waikiki (and thankful for the late hours when the UPS truck arrived with my V-tips half an hour before I needed to leave for the airport!). He was always friendly, patient and helpful, and I learned a lot about the different Alden models, lasts, and leathers. While it's nice being able to look through a big online inventory on the Shoe Mart site, for me I wouldn't trade it for the kind of personal service that Leather Soul offers.

man i got to get out to hawaii

GreatHighway

Reaction score

frown.gif

i experience the same fit, which is why my barrie stuff is 11E and my trubalance stuff is 11D. keyword here: experience. i didnt just read about it and think i know about it.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
i experience the same fit, which is why my barrie stuff is 11E and my trubalance stuff is 11D. keyword here: experience. i didnt just read about it and think i know about it.
WOW, You are so much better than the people who do not have reasonable access to a store selling Alden's.

You are my hero.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads