• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh

I originally had my MBP and 20" Apple Cinema Display but got tired of having to attach the necessary cables every day. I now run my ACD off a Mac Mini and am much happier.

believe it or not, MOST PEOPLE WHO AREN'T LAZY will prefer to take 3 seconds to attach a cable rather than spend $500 on a redundant desktop computer.

blairh

Reaction score
believe it or not, YOU'RE A ******* IDIOT.

It's a total pain the ass to need to connect my MBP to my monitor multiple times a day. I got sick of it after a few weeks. Really has nothing to do with being "lazy". And like I said before I really prefer the larger screen at times. Also when I have friends and family over they can just use the desktop instead of having to lend them my MBP (which I'm also sometimes using at the same time).

I will always have a desktop and laptop for home use.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Jesus, is there anything more pathetic than people arguing on the internet about computers? It's a tool to get a job done. If you like it...fine, if you don't...fine. It's just a computer.

We're not arguing, we are having an intelligent discussion about the current state of computers. What's pathetic is chiming in with your BS logic.

believe it or not, YOU'RE A ******* IDIOT.

confused.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AFuckingIdiot
I haaave to haaave a desktop becozz I neeed a bigggg monitorrrr and desktopss have biggg monitorsss

word

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
believe it or not, MOST PEOPLE WHO AREN'T LAZY will prefer to take 3 seconds to attach a cable rather than spend $500 on a redundant desktop computer.

Kid, you must be in high school or college. el oh ******* el. Laptops are great, and I own a couple. Desktops are great, and I spend most of my day on them. A computer is not a computer is not a computer...

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I don't understand this product in relation to the iPad. I guess it's supposed to be a transitional thing until tablets become powerful enough to replace computers, but it's a technological step backwards. If you already own a computer at home, I don't see why you'd choose this over an iPad with a BT keyboard ($550), unless you really need to use photoshop or MS Office on the road.

In my opinion, if you need a keyboard, you need a laptop, and should skip trying to get by with an iPad. They're much happier with output than input, and I'd leave mine at home and grab one of my laptops if I needed to work. The 11" Macbook Air is likely for people that feel similarly.

This laptop is hardly innovative - Sony's had ultralight laptops (not netbooks) in this niche pretty much since they released the 505G back in 1995. In fact, Apple poached a bunch of Sony people to help with design of their smaller models.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
This laptop is hardly innovative - Sony's had ultralight laptops (not netbooks) in this niche pretty much since they released the 505G back in 1995. In fact, Apple poached a bunch of Sony people to help with design of their smaller models.

And IBM/Lenovo, and nearly every Japanese manufacturer. (Toshiba, etc)

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
In my opinion, if you need a keyboard, you need a laptop, and should skip trying to get by with an iPad. They're much happier with output than input, and I'd leave mine at home and grab one of my laptops if I needed to work. The 11" Macbook Air is likely for people that feel similarly.

I meant innovative with respects to the direction Apple is taking their notebooks moving forward. To be honest I hate the Windows experience so much that I barely pay attention to desktops/laptops from Dell, HP, and the rest of them.

gregor

Reaction score
They are pretty slick but if you want to spend less than a grand, buy an iPad and keep the rest. If you want to spend more than a grand, buy a macbook.

I say this now but I said I would never get the iPad and it's sitting on my desk now..

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol I think pebblegrain got the best of that exchange.

Treen

Reaction score
I'm certainly tempted by one. Ipad's are pointless for me because of the lack of heavy word processing capabilities. I've been looking at other brands and just don't compare in terms of lightness, size, battery life and storage.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too pissed and couldn't be arsed to read all the negative crap. Tried one today. Cute little bugger. Would buy

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
And IBM/Lenovo, and nearly every Japanese manufacturer. (Toshiba, etc)

Not really. No one came close to Sony for thin/small laptops until the last 5-6 years. When the 505G came out, IBM's subnotebook was the 701C with the folding keyboard, then the 560 which was much larger. No one, not even Sony themselves, have matched the original Picturebook for size/performance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads