• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you get complimented about your outfit?

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with your statement Ali.M
I forgot about that, I also get hit on by gay men sometimes.

It's a good sign someone thinks you look good :O

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely receive any compliments on what I'm wearing, and I generally consider this to be a good thing. Since most people have limited knowledge and appreciation for style, their comments are often not meaningful and may even be indicative of a problem with your outfit.

Most people will compliment you on your clothing because what you're wearing caught their attention. But catching the average person's attention is often be caused by your outfit creating a poor sense of confluence-- i.e. the concept of the body and clothing becoming one and indistinguishable from each other. An outfit may convey poor confluence if you wear clothing that's....

1. Too tight
2. Too loose
3. Mismatched styles
4. Does not match your personality
5. Mismatched to the current environment or activity

Thus rather than seeing an integrated image, others may see you and your clothing as two very seperate things. Once someone spots that you're wearing "fashion", they are likely to comment. This may even result in a compliment since the observer can tell you've made an effort to be "dressed up", thus purveyors of polite small talk (not myself) will feel compelled to complement you.

afc345

Reaction score
Usually get one every once in a while when I walk into some stores selling more pricey stuff. Do also get some from my firends, but only when drunk.

Ivar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I rarely receive any compliments on what I'm wearing, and I generally consider this to be a good thing. Since most people have limited knowledge and appreciation for style, their comments are often not meaningful and may even be indicative of a problem with your outfit.

Most people will compliment you on your clothing because what you're wearing caught their attention. But catching the average person's attention is often be caused by your outfit creating a poor sense of confluence-- i.e. the concept of the body and clothing becoming one and indistinguishable from each other. An outfit may convey poor confluence if you wear clothing that's....

1. Too tight
2. Too loose
3. Mismatched styles
4. Does not match your personality
5. Mismatched to the current environment or activity

Thus rather than seeing an integrated image, others may see you and your clothing as two very seperate things. Once someone spots that you're wearing "fashion", they are likely to comment. This may even result in a compliment since the observer can tell you've made an effort to be "dressed up", thus purveyors of polite small talk (not myself) will feel compelled to complement you.

You're putting it exactly right, I think. Sartorial remarks often result from errors of conveyance, congruence or context.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
wore my helmut lang laceups with some ervell pants awhile back pretty conservative like and a chick friend said "i like those pointy toed shoes". i was all like "wat" and she was all like "those are kidna pointy" and i was like "really? i dunno lol"

true s tory

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
that's cuz the square toes have re-calibrated her pointy toe meter doggy

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
About three years ago I wore my apc, ndc and boo and my buddy commented on my distressed laceups looking like cowboy boots
plain.gif

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
i know you don't post waywts much but you missed the order of operations

jacket
undershirt
pants
shoes

lawlz forumz rulez

Cote

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I rarely receive any compliments on what I'm wearing, and I generally consider this to be a good thing. Since most people have limited knowledge and appreciation for style, their comments are often not meaningful and may even be indicative of a problem with your outfit. Most people will compliment you on your clothing because what you're wearing caught their attention. But catching the average person's attention is often be caused by your outfit creating a poor sense of confluence-- i.e. the concept of the body and clothing becoming one and indistinguishable from each other. An outfit may convey poor confluence if you wear clothing that's.... 1. Too tight 2. Too loose 3. Mismatched styles 4. Does not match your personality 5. Mismatched to the current environment or activity Thus rather than seeing an integrated image, others may see you and your clothing as two very seperate things. Once someone spots that you're wearing "fashion", they are likely to comment. This may even result in a compliment since the observer can tell you've made an effort to be "dressed up", thus purveyors of polite small talk (not myself) will feel compelled to complement you.
Exactly. I rarely get any compliments except on footwear sometimes. Although, "you've got a new ..., nice" used to happen, but not often anymore.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the states-- minus SF, Miami, NYC. Hardly ever.

I do get compliments on footwear and socks though LOL

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Occasionally I'll get compliments on my fits but I feel like you have to wear something with gaudy graphics and logos to get a lot of compliments around here. I do get a fair amount of comments on my shoes though.

naprava

Reaction score
co-worker - nice boots what are they me - alden co-worker - never heard, how much? me - $$$ co-worker - wow do you pack fudge?
frown.gif
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads