• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Anyone know anything about infused bourbons? I had a glass of this foie gras infused bourbon over the weekend that I liked a lot and was wondering if it was available elsewhere and how long it keeps.

I've had infused bourbons, but nothing like that. What did it taste like?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

No offense to the OP, but this just does not sound like it can be good.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

There was no real foie gras taste, but the bourbon was very smoky and "rich", if you will. It's definitely never going to become a favorite bourbon, but I think it's definitely worth a try - smells great, if nothing else. Not sure how else to describe it.

Originally Posted by gnatty8
No offense to the OP, but this just does not sound like it can be good.

Don't worry, criticizing my taste in bourbon is perfectly fine
laugh.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
There was no real foie gras taste, but the bourbon was very smoky and "rich", if you will. It's definitely never going to become a favorite bourbon, but I think it's definitely worth a try - smells great, if nothing else. Not sure how else to describe it.

Interesting, I can't say I have a strong desire to try this but, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Do you know what the base bourbon was?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
quick question... I have some limited experience here, plus limited access in Canada...

I've grown up drinking Beam, and I like it. I bought a bottle of woodford reserve and found it rather bland. I just got a bottle of Forty Creek, which was supposed to be excellent, but I've found it rather sweet in the opening and then just harsh right afterwards.

Am I missing something?
Do I have bad taste?
should I be aiming for different bourbons?
do I need to keep drinking these until I "appreciate" them?
other recomendations?

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
quick question... I have some limited experience here, plus limited access in Canada...

I've grown up drinking Beam, and I like it. I bought a bottle of woodford reserve and found it rather bland. I just got a bottle of Forty Creek, which was supposed to be excellent, but I've found it rather sweet in the opening and then just harsh right afterwards.

Am I missing something?
Do I have bad taste?
other recomendations?

Never tried Forty Creek, so can't comment with respect to that. However, if you like Beam, then by all means, keep drinking it. Nothing wrong with the standard white bottling of Beam. However, if you like it, you might want to branch out and try their other bourbons, i.e. Beam Black (aged 8yrs), Knob Creek (aged 9 years), Bookers, Basil Hayen, Bakers, etc.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Am I missing something?
Do I have bad taste?
other recomendations?

I do not like Forty Creek, and use it to mix when I want a whiskey and Coke, or something like that. I find it very bland, and very milquetoast. Your taste is your own, so when it comes to something like whiskey, there's no such thing as bad taste, only your taste. I'd definitely try more bourbons if you tend to like Beam. What others are available in your area? I am not a fran of Woodford either, I find it very uneventful. I have found that there are times when I "grow into" a whiskey, and it becomes a favorite after an initial, meh reaction. Glenlivet is one of these, and so is Noah's Mill bourbon. I'd make an effort to find the following if you want to try others, in no order of importance, and avoiding top shelf bourbons until you know more about what you like: Blanton's, whiskies from the Beam line extensions (Knob Creek, Booker's, Baker's, but stay away from Basil Hayden as it is pretty bland and non-complex itself), Noah's Mill, Old Rip Van Winkle, Rowan's Creek, and Bulleit (I don't like it, but many do).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks guys. I'll give the Bulleit and Knob Creek a shot and see if they're nicer. The LCBO here has a pretty limited selection.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks guys. I'll give the Bulleit and Knob Creek a shot and see if they're nicer. The LCBO here has a pretty limited selection.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not Bulleit! Eugh, and feh! Bulleit and generic cola is an insult to generic colas everywhere!

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basil Hayden. my bourbon life will never be the same again.

-Jeff

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm out of bourbon - drank the last of my Elijah Craig (12yr) last night. I'm looking to pick up a bottle in the $20-$30 range either tonight or sometime this weekend, and wanted to get some opinions. In this price range, my favorites have thus far been Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Old Weller, Bulleit, Elijah Craig - I've tried Knob Creek, and thought it was ok, not great; same with Woodford. I've read some good things about Jim Beam Black, which I have never tried. I'm always up for trying new bourbons, provided they're not far inferior to something that I know will be good. With that in mind, I was debating between picking up a bottle of it, or, maybe a bottle of something I've already tried. Thoughts?

What about Corner Creek, Four Roses (standard bottling), or Old Forester (100 proof) - worth trying? Better than Jim Beam Black?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corner Creek is worth trying. Its very different than any other bourbon I've tasted. Pretty light and floral and not quite as sweet. That would be my choice of the ones you mentioned.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Corner Creek is worth trying. Its very different than any other bourbon I've tasted. Pretty light and floral and not quite as sweet. That would be my choice of the ones you mentioned.

So, I took your recommendation and picked up a bottle of Corner Creek last night. On the nose, you're right - it's very floral, not like other bourbons that smell more like caramel/maple syrup. On the palate, it's very light, but warm, and I can pick up some spice - rye maybe? I also get just a hint of saltiness/butteriness, but just a hint. Also, maybe a bit of graphite. Finish is pretty short. Overall, a very light and enjoyable bourbon. Definitely think it should only be drunk neat - water or ice would dilute the already light flavor too much. I'd definitely consider buying another bottle, and would make a great entry-level bourbon for non-whiskey drinkers. Good rec!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone try Markers Mark "47"? It's finished in some different way. I was "forced" to buy a bottle as my local place had a tasting and the girl serving it was super hot. It's actually pretty good, not sure if I like it more than Bookers, but it's good stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads